• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this video which looks to be a promotion for the manga. Found it interesting that the scores go from right-to-left like manga. My recollection from Nodame Cantabile is that Western scores used in Japan maintain their left-to-right pagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yegQRUhJkuM
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
After episode 20 we should only be a couple episodes away from the national qualifier arc. Hang in there guys all this drama will be worth it I'm pretty sure anyways for yall.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
Lots of koto music this episode, yay!

I knew the Good Boys™ would work their magic on her, and sensei had their back. Now that she's switched sides, I wonder what wrench Baba Yaga will try to toss into the works.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Lots of koto music this episode, yay!

I knew the Good Boys™ would work their magic on her, and sensei had their back. Now that she's switched sides, I wonder what wrench Baba Yaga will try to toss into the works.

Lol baba yaga!

While I hate they somewhat rushed through so much content I'm glad they are devoting the next (hopefully) 5 episodes to the national qualifier arc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote

How nice that Doujima stood up for them with such eloquent conviction! That's the sort of thing a series would usually drag out for the melodrama once she found her spine after remaining silent. Also that Mom seems to be in Hozuki's corner now too. I've no doubt someone will talk her into attending the performance - was that an invitation to her that Hozuki mailed at the end?

Lol at the hugs and tears all around after storytime. Kouta is a treasure. And am I reading too much into it, or did Kurata have a moment of looking at Kurusu with not entirely platonic eyes?
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I enjoyed this video which looks to be a promotion for the manga. Found it interesting that the scores go from right-to-left like manga. My recollection from Nodame Cantabile is that Western scores used in Japan maintain their left-to-right pagination.

The ways to write and read scores for koto (or perhaps I should say 'sō' because the specific name of the zither-like Japanese traditional stringed musical instrument in the Kono Oto Tomare! manga/anime is ) vary. But in the Ikuta school (the principal characters of Kono Oto Tomare!, too, seem to belong to the Ikuta school), usually the way to write and read scores is 'vertically and right-to-left', like the traditional Japanese way to write and read things on paper.
Since Japanese schools of music where only Western music is taught of course adopt Western musical-education ways/things such as Western-style scores, if you see a scene in an anime/manga where a Japanese musician of Western classical music plays in Japan, the score which he/she uses would be format-wise not very different from scores which Western musicians in Western countries use.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote

That was a really neat episode. I loved how they tied together the mathematics of music with his visualization of the notes. Their advisor is such a sweetheart. I hope he somehow doesn't have to give up teaching after all. He's made for it. If the issue is only money, rather than keeping the inn in the family, he could surely sell his compositions for extra income, especially after the attention they would get from competitions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote

Wow. Shocked That was perfect. I had tears running down my face almost from the first note. Really beautiful piece. And the only "drama" during the performance was the performance. No one had to angst-out or cover mistakes or anything but have fun and recall how they got there. ::standing O:: Lol at them sort of trying to sneak off stage in the dark while the audience was too shell-shocked to applaud.

OST version. It's slightly different from the tv version (which I prefer), but without any voice overs. Enjoy.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
Great episode and beautiful music. I can't wait to listen to the anime OST when it comes out Very Happy

(the previous OST was made for the manga in 2017, so I presume most, if not all of the tracks will be different to at least some degree like the excellent example above)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote

That was a nice wrap-up. They didn't resolve or even make any progress on the hinted at romances, nor did I expect them to and I'm glad they didn't (is it just me or was there a little something brewing between Dojima and Takinami-sensei?). Did I miss the result of the Nationals? They just jumped ahead to a new school year at the end.

Once again, Kouta is our national treasure. He sees them all as his family, so leaping in to share the moment with Hozuki and her mother was just natural for him.

The only thing more I could've asked of this series is more koto music. Very Happy
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
is it just me or was there a little something brewing between Dojima and Takinami-sensei?

Seemed that way to me, too. Of course, they are rather set up for a relationship.

Quote:
Did I miss the result of the Nationals? They just jumped ahead to a new school year at the end.

Really? I didn't see that. I thought the Nationals remained in their future.

Quote:
The only thing more I could've asked of this series is more koto music. Very Happy

I would have like a bit more myself. Might have been nice if one of the OP/ED songs used a koto. As it stands, they are pleasant but pretty forgettable tunes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, they were talking about getting ready for the new students and club presentation day, which I assumed would happen the next school year (they showed trees budding, which would be spring and the Japanese school year starts in April, so...). And I thought the "Aim for 1st place in the Nationals" poster had been there from the beginning (after it was replaced), but that didn't help me either, since I don't know when the Nationals are, and it seemed like all the club members were still there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:12 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the ending. Hopefully there's more to come in the future as I'd rather watch (and more importantly listen to) this series instead of read it.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Agreed Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, they were talking about getting ready for the new students and club presentation day, which I assumed would happen the next school year (they showed trees budding, which would be spring and the Japanese school year starts in April, so...). And I thought the "Aim for 1st place in the Nationals" poster had been there from the beginning (after it was replaced), but that didn't help me either, since I don't know when the Nationals are, and it seemed like all the club members were still there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought someone said Nationals were held in the summer, but I'm not about to review all the episodes to find that bit again. I did a little Google research on high-school koto competitions, but found little (at least in English). There's unsurprisingly a lot more about Koshien.

I thought in the postscript they were complaining about the complexity of the piece Taki-sensei had written for them to perform at Nationals, but I agree it's all very vague.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I think the key is how old they are, which I'm reeeally vague on. If there are no seniors, then they would all be around for a summer Nationals, but current juniors would not be around for the next one, even though they're still at school for the whole next year.

I'm trying to think of how baseball works, and I always get confused with that too, since I can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of summer being in the middle of your school year instead of between years. Very Happy But in Ace of Diamond, after the original team lost at Koshien, the seniors were still around at school for awhile, doling out advice and such, just no longer on the team. Which I guess they do because they're supposed to be doubling down studying for college and not distracted with extracurricular stuff?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3