• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fighting the Monotony of Homelessness with Granblue Fantasy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
That did stick out to me as odd. If Toby has time to be sitting around playing video games then Toby has time to get a job.

Aphasial wrote:
The article/story is fine for what it is, but what struck out at me was his "boredom" comment. Once you descend into mental illness (and often drug use), things often change, but it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. In this case, "boredom" is a feature, not a bug, because it might encourage him to find something to do -- i.e., be a productive member of society.
bennyl wrote:
There is zero reason to be bored. There are more open jobs in the US right now than people to fill them. Start working doubles.

Like clockwork. "just get a job!", as if it were that easy. Where does one go to, to simply join a queue, say "one job, please" and get one that provides enough for housing, utilities and other living expenses? Even putting aside how many job vacancies require qualifications, knowledge or aptitudes that the average homeless person probably doesn't have, do you have any idea how much of a barrier homelessness itself is to employment? Even aside from various prerequisites that involve having a fixed address (bank account to be paid into -> need ID and a postal address, for instance), it ain't easy to present yourself well enough to a prospective employer if you don't have a bathroom to have a shave and shower in, a wardrobe to keep a decent suit in, etc. In any way let slip or imply that you're homeless, and they just see someone who's probably not going to be reliable enough for the job and move on to the next candidate.

As someone who has spent the last 15 months jobless and looking for hours every day, while having a roof over their head, its not easy.
So many places now actually reject you handing in a paper resume, in favour of online. Too many I applied to have them asking for a residence as a requirement for applying. Not having a permanant residence would be even more difficult.
IN any case, I was able to job search while doing plenty of pc and console gaming inbetween page loads and such. Shrink window sizes, its very easy to run Granblue in one window and job sites and such in another. Doubly so if you are using a computer and a phone.
Also, I start a new job the week after next, to close my initial part of this comment.
hmmiwonder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Crabtree1 wrote:
Ignoring the obviously pretty pricey looking laptop, here in the UK the council are legally required to provide accomadation for any homeless people who ask for it, does the US not have that?

Most cities do not. And laptop is probably like 5+ years old

It looks like a HP Omen gaming laptop. YMMV, but I think $900-$2420 USD would be pretty pricey for a homeless dude. I'm not sure if the product line has even been around for five years yet. Presumably he's had it since before he became homeless.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought I had stumbled across an animemaru article. I even double checked the date of the article to make sure it wasn't April 1st.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, what was the point of this? I always find these stories to be useless unless they provide details. Details that help others help themselves. But this guy doesn't appear to be helping himself. There are several red flags that this guy shouldn't really be representing gaming or homelessness.

Homeless for two years, "walked away" from debts, breaking into houses, "family problems", lots of walking, highly ranked in GBF game, the obviously stolen laptop.

And before anyone cries foul on that last one. Even if he had the laptop before becoming homeless, he already "walked away" from his debts. That means technically he shouldn't even own the laptop as it would have been reclaimed. Taking it with him then when he ran is in fact stealing.

If it was a story about trying to turn this around from this point and the troubles facing the homeless, (even just what he's done to try) that would be a great story. But no, it basically seems to be a complaint about how boring being homeless is and tips on how to find wi-fi to play mobages.

It certainly makes it sound like he is essentially not just homeless but on the run. The way forward would be getting free legal services and filing bankruptcy and then attempting to get a job and trying to turn your life around. Instead he just mentions he can only stay in his current "accommodation" for another month or two, before he will have to break into somewhere else.

Plenty of assumptions here, but that is what I meant when I began by saying a story like this is useless without details.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Like clockwork. "just get a job!", as if it were that easy. Where does one go to, to simply join a queue, say "one job, please" and get one that provides enough for housing, utilities and other living expenses?

Expecting an entry level position to pay for all of that is ridiculous, especially if you have no education or experience.. When you just start out, you either still live at home or you move in with 2-5 other people which makes living expenses affordable even on minimum wage. That's how I did it. It's not hard to get a job if you really want one. My local Jack in the Box and Taco Bell are always hiring. But some people will turn their nose up at those kinds of jobs even if they're desperate for work or money.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Like clockwork. "just get a job!", as if it were that easy. Where does one go to, to simply join a queue, say "one job, please" and get one that provides enough for housing, utilities and other living expenses?

Expecting an entry level position to pay for all of that is ridiculous, especially if you have no education or experience.. When you just start out, you either still live at home or you move in with 2-5 other people which makes living expenses affordable even on minimum wage.

I did kind of think it went without saying that a share house was one of the available options there. You're still expected to pay for that roof over your head, and your share of the utilities. The problem is that the hourly rate paid is only one angle of the problem; if the employer's not offering you enough hours to afford accommodation in even a crowded share house, you're still kind of screwed. And in any case, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect to make enough from an entry level full-time job to pay for a place of your own, even if it is a shoebox of a studio apartment. The fact that you think it's ridiculous to expect an entry level job to pay enough to live on points to one of the societal problems that leads to homelessness being a significant problem.
El Hermano wrote:
It's not hard to get a job if you really want one. My local Jack in the Box and Taco Bell are always hiring. But some people will turn their nose up at those kinds of jobs even if they're desperate for work or money.

That in itself says something about the terrible nature of the job market. Such jobs (especially in the US) really don't pay enough for the kind of labour and conditions involved, so people avoid them. Even if they're desperate for money or work. But even still... even fast food joints like those are still going to reject applicants that they think don't measure up. Do you honestly expect one of those places that are always hiring to hire any and every obviously homeless person who shows up and asks for a job?
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Expecting an entry level position to pay for all of that is ridiculous, especially if you have no education or experience.. When you just start out, you either still live at home or you move in with 2-5 other people which makes living expenses affordable even on minimum wage.

I did kind of think it went without saying that a share house was one of the available options there. You're still expected to pay for that roof over your head, and your share of the utilities. The problem is that the hourly rate paid is only one angle of the problem; if the employer's not offering you enough hours to afford accommodation in even a crowded share house, you're still kind of screwed. And in any case, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect to make enough from an entry level full-time job to pay for a place of your own, even if it is a shoebox of a studio apartment. The fact that you think it's ridiculous to expect an entry level job to pay enough to live on points to one of the societal problems that leads to homelessness being a significant problem.
El Hermano wrote:
It's not hard to get a job if you really want one. My local Jack in the Box and Taco Bell are always hiring. But some people will turn their nose up at those kinds of jobs even if they're desperate for work or money.

That in itself says something about the terrible nature of the job market. Such jobs (especially in the US) really don't pay enough for the kind of labour and conditions involved, so people avoid them. Even if they're desperate for money or work. But even still... even fast food joints like those are still going to reject applicants that they think don't measure up. Do you honestly expect one of those places that are always hiring to hire any and every obviously homeless person who shows up and asks for a job?

In many areas, part time at minimum wage is enough to afford the responsibilities of sharing a place with other people and your share of utilities. I don't expect McD to hire everyone immediately (and literally) off the street, but that's where social services come into play. They're there to help provide immediate, transient stability for a few days (up to two weeks in San Diego, before you're put into a different program) to let people shower, clean up, prepare themselves, received donated better clothing, have a physical address for correspondence, and receive mental health services and counseling. The point of these halfway houses is to get people to a spot where they can apply for a job and find a place to live soon.

If he has the intelligence to deal with an MMO or mobile game and be respected by his guildmates, then unless he has some other debilitating social condition we're not aware of, there's nothing that would keep McD from hiring him. McDonalds was my first job while I was still in high school. We hired more than one person there who had recently been released from a penitentiary and was just trying to get back on his feet.

If he's breaking into houses and squatting, he's already gone well beyond the "crashing on friends' couches for a week or two to get myself situated" phase. He needs to get himself to an area where he can get the help and support he needs, as well as re-enter society with a job.
Scias

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
That did stick out to me as odd. If Toby has time to be sitting around playing video games then Toby has time to get a job.

Aphasial wrote:
The article/story is fine for what it is, but what struck out at me was his "boredom" comment. Once you descend into mental illness (and often drug use), things often change, but it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. In this case, "boredom" is a feature, not a bug, because it might encourage him to find something to do -- i.e., be a productive member of society.
bennyl wrote:
There is zero reason to be bored. There are more open jobs in the US right now than people to fill them. Start working doubles.

Like clockwork. "just get a job!", as if it were that easy. Where does one go to, to simply join a queue, say "one job, please" and get one that provides enough for housing, utilities and other living expenses? Even putting aside how many job vacancies require qualifications, knowledge or aptitudes that the average homeless person probably doesn't have, do you have any idea how much of a barrier homelessness itself is to employment? Even aside from various prerequisites that involve having a fixed address (bank account to be paid into -> need ID and a postal address, for instance), it ain't easy to present yourself well enough to a prospective employer if you don't have a bathroom to have a shave and shower in, a wardrobe to keep a decent suit in, etc. In any way let slip or imply that you're homeless, and they just see someone who's probably not going to be reliable enough for the job and move on to the next candidate.

It always amazes me how many people lack empathy or awareness that homelessness and affordable housing is a major issue that affects millions everyday. As usual dudebros come out of the woodwork and just say "just get a job bro lol *insert anecdotal story* just try harder!"

Many landlords demand good credit scores, 2-3 times the income of an already likely overpriced dump, record of employment etc. Even people offering rooms on craigslist often require a stable income and employment, how is that supposed to work for someone who's homeless?

They're the same people that mutter under their breaths: "get a job you parasites" whenever they come across anyone who's homeless, and yet are the same people that if they were in a position to change this systemic screw up in the first place, they'd refuse to do anything about it.

1-2 part time gigs at mcds or taco bell where their work schedules are all over the place and offer no health insurance will not solve the problem either.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
Alright some of you need to clam down and watch the rude comments. Otherwise posts will start disappearing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3