• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Helpful Fox Senko-san is both Comforting and Uncomfortable

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Mod Edit - Removed part that responded to/quoted a trolling post

As for me, having read the manga, I get that people can read the subtext of fetishism and the like from the premise but this may be a case of either reading too deep on other's end or me being too amused by the core concept for me to read deep on my end because I find the show a bit cute at times. Yes, the tail petting is off but the character archetypes seem amusing enough.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
I just want more New Game.

Also, remember when Dogakobo did three Koihime Musou seasons?

Those two are Dogakobo's best.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I love this column. It's so entertaining.
Kudos to them for sitting through this garbage.

fox mommy that looks like jailbait? Ew. That's a yikes from me.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The creators are cowards for not making it about an actual fox.

I'd pay good money for a relaxing show about petting a cute, fluffy animal, dammit.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed reference to and partial quote of a now deleted post that was overall trolling/insulting

This was quite possibly the most baffling part. Just because she's enjoying being petted doesn't mean she's literally getting off to it. I'm forced to doubt the sincerity of anyone who claims to see anything sexual in that. Or are we going with the argument that playing with a cat's tail makes it horny? I very genuinely hope not.

There's a few eh jokes because of her real age, but the show has never indicated we should view her as anything more or less than a cute, lovable caretaker, nor has there even been a speck of a hint that Senko or Kurono are sexually attracted to the other.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
So, it's basically what would have been had Tenchi ended up with Sasami.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
It's weird to me sometimes the threads that blow up and get heated. I thought this article was fairly mild and unlikely to rile people up too much even though it was somewhat critical, oh how wrong I was.

So let's tone it down folks, as I've had to delete or edit several posts. Knock it off with the blatant trolling and insults to the columnists. Also don't insult other users, regardless of their view on the show/column.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
It's weird to me sometimes the threads that blow up and get heated. I thought this article was fairly mild and unlikely to rile people up too much even though it was somewhat critical, oh how wrong I was.

Clearly the lesson is to never talk about shows of this nature in this column, or at least downplay whatever place on the sliding scale of "comfy" to "yikes (trademarked)" it rests on.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
And one wonder why many people left this site...
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry I had to make an account to chime in on this.

We're scrutinizing small fox girl waifus and yet ignoring Sarazanmai; an anime that sexualizes gay 8th grade boys and is chock full of gross anal gags? That's a little inconsistent.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Slim Reaper wrote:

We're scrutinizing small fox girl waifus and yet ignoring Sarazanmai; an anime that sexualizes gay 8th grade boys and is chock full of gross anal gags? That's a little inconsistent.

I didn't get to cover that one but it's hard to say it's ignored when it was covered by TWIA less than a week ago animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2019-04-30/.146271
Also turns out gay kids and anal gags can be engaging and interesting just like how half-winking about questionable wish fulfillment can be distasteful and lame. The beauty of art!
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Slim Reaper wrote:

That's actually extremely common in the anime community. It's certainly hypocritical to see people's complaints about underage girls being sexualized as gross, but their Tumblr or Twitter timeline is filled with yaoi art of underage boys. If Enta was creeping and stalking on a girl, he would be criticized a lot more rather than affectionately being defended and his antics being hand-waved away by jokes of "who hasn't smelled their best friends used clothes tee hee"
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Now that you mention the cutest show of the season, I wish Dogakobo were the ones animating Hitoribocchi.
I think that both shows are cute but Dogakobo is a really talented studio and they often make great looking shows. Senko has an adorable design even by the standards of anime but some of the charm is the quality of the animation.

Yuvelir wrote:
About Maidragon, that reminds me of Lucoa and the boy she lusted after. But that happened well into the show when it had already cemented itself as a likeable series.
I thought that Dragon Maid was a great show but it was ecchi on several levels so it is interesting to see how differently some people are treating Senko which has no underage characters and so far has been a tamer show.

Slim Reaper wrote:
I have noticed that many of the people on Twitter that have said that Senko is disgusting have posted sexy drawings of the middle school boys from Sarazanmai. From what I have seen it is simply a matter of whether they like the drawings and their position can be summed up as "rules for thee, but not for me".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3