• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa, Kodansha, Shueisha, Shogakukan Reach Settlement With Cloudflare

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clematis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 am Reply with quote
Well, for me scanlations have led me to purchase official releases of some manga I liked the most. It was really expensive since I had to order overseas and barely broke even that month, and I was in luck the manga was actually still in print, but it was well worth it. However I cannot do that for most manga/anime I consume, because many aren't even translated to begin with, and none are ever readily available around here. Not to mention having to pay for the entirety of a title in one go is often times prohibitive, too.

While scanlations and fansubs might be hated amongst publishers and creaters alike, I think it would be wrong to ignore to good sides of it - e.g. even if someone never paid a dime to read/watch the stuff they pirated, they will help spread the good word for the works they liked, and that can lead to others purchasing it, instead. Call it 'free advertisement', if you want.

It's not good per se, but it's also not all bad, or 'evil', if you will.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
Saying this as a former translator for a scanlation group, I find it pathetic when people treat anime/manga as a human right, or try to justify their piracy by harping on about accessibility, or the classic "it's ok because I bought some stuff". Just admit it, you pirate it because it's easy and there are no consequences to you. I guarantee that's the number 1 reason why people pirate.

I pirate anime because it's easy (I get it all from one site, if it's not on that site, I don't watch it, and automating torrent downloads means I don't even need to remember to check the site each week) and I'm unlikely to be penalised for it. If it somehow became difficult to pirate anime, I would just stop watching anime altogether and find other ways to entertain myself.

For manga, there are only two series that I'm currently pirating, because I find it annoying to navigate the various scanlation groups' websites with their unreliable release schedules, and I refuse to 'support' those aggregate sites that have a history of removing credits and watermarks. Instead I find myself purchasing most the manga I consume, usually splurging $100-$200 on things in my Book Depository wishlist whenever they send me one of those 10% off vouchers.

I suspect the reason why Japan doesn't go after overseas piracy sites is because the costs involved in navigating unfamiliar legal systems is not something they can afford, or they don't see any net benefit in doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This thread-line continues to prove how people continually try to black-and-white or use absolutes to describe a situation; usually based upon their own viewpoints, interpretation of the data, and official company statements. I wish life was that easy, it never is.

Reading all the comments carefully, I find valid reasoning in most whether they agree or disagree with piracy. However, I think the anime/manga community argues the "why piracy exists" question too much and not the "what can we do to help ease piracy". Piracy is a double-edge sword, it can be beneficial due to the amount of exposure it can give to a piece of work, however it provides very little monetary gain. Take for example an actor/actress in Hollywood. It's pretty well known that some actors/actress' have done roles for very little money, however did it due to the publicity they would gain. Now the big difference here would be actors/actresses can find more roles to audition for, however making an anime or manga can be costly (mainly for the former) and because the amount of time it takes to make one, can reduce the number of series one can create.

The real trick is to find a fair balance between monetary gain and publicity. You can't gain more sales if your manga/anime isn't selling. How much is that on the piracy and artists and more on the marketing for said product? How much is that on the contracts for distribution? Has the industry itself not taken a hard-look at it's own practices and ability to push products beyond a niche crowd? How much is that on Japanese business culture?

We can blame piracy (or not at all) we want and debate the morality of it, however no one is doing a thing to fix it. The industry wants to sue for infringement and the pirates want to continue to pirate, a never ending cycle.

This Cloudflare situation is just a continuation of the cycle. While I'm personally on Cloudflare's side in this case, it is just but one grey case in the pool of many and I don't think every plantiff is wrong to sue. Legally, this is a correct move, but I believe who they're going after is incorrect. I'm glad there was a compromise to be had, so no one wins or loses (though that can be debated based upon your interpretation of what we know was agreed on).

I believe the way to fix this is for the anime/manga industry to rework the entire thing from the ground up. I mean, there's the whole thing regarding overworked animation staff for little pay, so I think both are indicative of a much larger issue. We love this hobby, but it doesn't appear anyone is setup to win, unless if you're the 1% of artists to hit it big, or the major publishing company / animation studio (which again, can be debated).

I would be curious to know the positives and negatives in the American comics industry and if there can be anything learned from there that can be incorporated into a much stronger Japanese manga industry, which will help strengthen the Japanese media as a whole. I'm personally enjoying some of the movies (live-action or otherwise) that has come out from some Japanese directors and crew, there's definite potential and talent from our friends in the East, however I'm starting to wonder if Japan may be getting in its own way, based upon some of the business culture there.
Q4000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
Saying this as a former translator for a scanlation group, I find it pathetic when people treat anime/manga as a human right, or try to justify their piracy by harping on about accessibility, or the classic "it's ok because I bought some stuff". Just admit it, you pirate it because it's easy and there are no consequences to you. I guarantee that's the number 1 reason why people pirate.

Have to agree with you there. Very Happy
When I was a kid who had no money and had all the time in the world, I torrented (Limewired even Anime hyper) almost all content I wanted for the exact reason you said. If I wanted something, I'd just look it up and pirate it. I did have a personal rule though: of following the releases of specific groups for anime (Dattebayo, Kaizoku) and manga (Mangastream, RedHawkScans) only rather than aggregate sites (except for Batoto, which recognized scanlation groups) and when they stopped their releases, I also stopped and didn't look for them elsewhere. But yeah, when I was a kid, I didn't really care much as long as I had my content.
But now that I'm an adult with a paying job and some knowledge about how reality works, perspectives change. I pay for the content I consume, whether it be via streaming service subscriptions or buying physical copies. If something's not available locally, I'll try to buy it online. All the titles that I followed through sub/scan groups, I move to official releases. If none are available, I move on and try another time. And since I have less free time now, I don't have the luxury of discovering more awesome titles that can only be found through groups and just enjoy what are available to me. Besides, this isn't the only hobby that I have that costs money. That's why we work right? To fund our hobbies (and to live of course)?
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
SonicSP wrote:
Copyright laws in most country are a sham anyways, given the absurdly amount of time (it should be more closer to patents) it last and how restrictive it is.

If they don't want to reform the system, then so be it.
To a degree I disagree. People should be paid for the content they have created, and more often than not piracy sites* make money off other people's work without returning much if at all. Where I do have an issue with copyright laws is when corporations get involved and milk some of that revenue off the creators by insisting on being included with the copyrights. To add to that sometimes it can be more restrictive where the creator might be fine with something in the distribution (digital, another country, etc.) where as the corporation wants to maintain a monopoly on the IP and blocks it.

*I say sites, because generally stuff like IRC groups and non-ad-based torrent sites just either accept nothing or enough for hosting, so effectively free. Yes, they are still robbing the creator, but kind of a lesser of two evils situation

still evil though

Stop and think about it for a moment: If it wasn't for this kind of situation we wouldn't have Crunchy Roll. I'll admit I'm not sure what their revenue allocation was before they went legit (ie: generate income or solely to cover hosting), but it proved there was a market and helped build the industry up. Managa Rock is heading in the same direction now too. They have good intentions, even if it isn't the best way to go about it, but they were filling a demand that existed at the time.

On the other hand, it those which actively profit off those that are effectively evil. Those are the ones that know they can make money off it, and usually poach off those with good intentions like those above in order to do it, not only robbing the original artist but also those who gave up their time for free to translate due to the unwillingness of the original company to do so.

This isn't a exactly a black and white issue, as others have pointed out.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
Sometimes a manga-ka will allow a series to be scanlated after a scanlation group got permission. By this, I mean more so those that start scanlating after getting permission. I suppose reasons why we don't see more of this because of points like the following: While the creator might be O.K. with it, the publisher might not be. Also, even if a scanlation group outside of Japan got permission from both the manga-ka and publisher to scanlate a manga title, perhaps there is some clause or aspect of Japanese copyright laws or the copyright laws of the territory that group is based in that act halts such permission or that would not work out well. For example, if the manga got licensed in the territory that the scanlation group is based out of. In that case, it would be wise to stop the scanlations and let the licensor(s) in that territory do their job(s).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:13 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
In my opinion the emotional reaction of the Mangaka doesn't mean much. Plenty of people get irrationally mad about good things happening. I'm not calling piracy a good thing, I'm just saying that an emotional reaction is not an accurate measure of anything objective so it doesn't mean anything here.
In what universe is "I draw art for money, and I'm mad because these people are enjoying my art without paying for it" not a perfectly rational reaction?

AkumaChef wrote:

But that said, Blanchimont does have a valid point in that many people first hear about a title via piracy and then go on to purchase the real deal. For example, I can name several shows which I was first introduced to via fansubs:
[...]
The real list is probably three times that long but that's all I can recall off the top of my head. I went on to purchase the entirety of all those series, on Japanese LD. So in my case, "piracy" via fansubs resulted in me spending several thousand dollars in total on those shows.

Of course the opposite happens too: I'm sure there are people out there who consume pirated media and don't spend a penny. But without good data we have no idea which of the two camps dominates, and that's something I'd really love to see, alas it's also something that's really hard to measure.
It's pretty safe to say that your case is very much an outlier. It's also safe to say that the opposite case is by far more prevalent. Back in the 2000s, even an average show could pull 50k-100k downloads from the fansubbing scene. If even 10% of those pirates bought the shows, companies like Geneon and Bandai might still be around today, but they're not. And we've heard from people in those companies that many shows struggled to break 4-digit sales, with an unlucky few barely breaking 3 digits. Judging by the list of 90s shows you've presented, you're also an outlier in terms of age; younger generations have only become less collection-minded over time.
View numbers on bootleg streaming sites easily reach into the hundreds of thousands or millions for airing anime (the same stuff that legal sites are streaming, so it's not a matter of pirates seeking out old/obscure content), but sales haven't gone up proportionately. Between that, the "too young / can't afford it" crowd, and the rise of "ideological" pirates -- those who refuse to pay because they feel legal services aren't "competing the right way" or some other grievance -- that's a whole lot of anime viewers in the "pirate everything, pay nothing" camp.

Clematis wrote:
While scanlations and fansubs might be hated amongst publishers and creaters alike, I think it would be wrong to ignore to good sides of it - e.g. even if someone never paid a dime to read/watch the stuff they pirated, they will help spread the good word for the works they liked, and that can lead to others purchasing it, instead. Call it 'free advertisement', if you want.
First, it's not "fansubs" anymore, it's generally "lower-quality re-encodes of official streams hosted on bootleg streaming sites." But where are all these mythical pirates who're getting something for free, but tell their friends to go pay for it? Isn't it more likely that they'd give their friends the hookup, and provide them the links/files to watch/read on the same illegal site? Then those friends tell their friends, and suddenly all that "free advertisement" is only benefiting the for-profit bootleggers. As was stated long ago:
Zac wrote:
If you get an artist's work for free and then show it to a friend while also showing him how to get it for free (not to mention introducing him to a massive community of people dedicated to getting that artist's work for free, sharing files and offering his new work the second it's available at no charge without his blessing), you are not creating a fan or helping the artist, you're adding another leech into the system.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:
In my opinion the emotional reaction of the Mangaka doesn't mean much. Plenty of people get irrationally mad about good things happening. I'm not calling piracy a good thing, I'm just saying that an emotional reaction is not an accurate measure of anything objective so it doesn't mean anything here.
In what universe is "I draw art for money, and I'm mad because these people are enjoying my art without paying for it" not a perfectly rational reaction?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. People getting mad about their work being pirated is totally expected. What it's not, however, is an accurate or objective gauge of whether or not the piracy in question is really a problem or not.

Quote:
It's pretty safe to say that your case is very much an outlier. It's also safe to say that the opposite case is by far more prevalent. Back in the 2000s, even an average show could pull 50k-100k downloads from the fansubbing scene. If even 10% of those pirates bought the shows, companies like Geneon and Bandai might still be around today, but they're not. And we've heard from people in those companies that many shows struggled to break 4-digit sales, with an unlucky few barely breaking 3 digits. Judging by the list of 90s shows you've presented, you're also an outlier in terms of age; younger generations have only become less collection-minded over time.
View numbers on bootleg streaming sites easily reach into the hundreds of thousands or millions for airing anime (the same stuff that legal sites are streaming, so it's not a matter of pirates seeking out old/obscure content), but sales haven't gone up proportionately. Between that, the "too young / can't afford it" crowd, and the rise of "ideological" pirates -- those who refuse to pay because they feel legal services aren't "competing the right way" or some other grievance -- that's a whole lot of anime viewers in the "pirate everything, pay nothing" camp.

I agree 100% that there are likely an awful lot of people in the latter camp but I'd still love to see real numbers here. The way I see it there are really 3 ways that piracy can work out from the pirate's perspective:

1) Someone pirates a title and then goes on to buy it or its merch. In this case the piracy is net positive; one can think of it as free advertising.

2) Someone pirates a title but doesn't spend a penny on it because they really don't have any money, or because a legal purchase option doesn't exist for them. This doesn't harm anyone because there's no lost sale. (The "too young, no money" crowd goes here)

3) Someone has money, would be willing to purchase a show, but chooses to pirate it instead and spends their money on something else--ideological pirates like you mentioned, plus those people who like the fact they can do it for free and are unlikely to face any consequences. That obviously harms the creator/publisher.

I'm willing to bet that an awful lot of those people racking up huge download numbers are in group #2. But without numbers all we can do is guess.

Quote:
First, it's not "fansubs" anymore, it's generally "lower-quality re-encodes of official streams hosted on bootleg streaming sites." But where are all these mythical pirates who're getting something for free, but tell their friends to go pay for it? Isn't it more likely that they'd give their friends the hookup, and provide them the links/files to watch/read on the same illegal site? Then those friends tell their friends, and suddenly all that "free advertisement" is only benefiting the for-profit bootleggers.

Nobody tells their friends to buy it, but some % of the people who watch a show will like it enough to buy it or its merch. The more people who see a show the more people will end up purchasing it. This principle remains true regardless if it's 50% of viewers who buy it or if it's 0.001%
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3