• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament - Nominations - Voting Period

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's another few:

6) Himura Kenshin from Ruroni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal. Kenshin is a badass in the TV series too but in this prequel OVA he is downright brutally efficient. The contrast with the tragic content in this title only serves to highlight both.

7) Sergei aka D from Key the Metal Idol. Yeah, he's evil. But you cannot deny that he's a badass from his imposing character design to his superhuman strength. Every bit of his character is badass: from the deep low voice, never wavering, always calm. His incredible confidence and his incredible toughness give him a commanding aura. He survives being shot multiple times with no apparent effect. He goes toe-to-toe with superhuman robots and comes out alive. He takes a collapsible baton to the knee and still manages to lift and carry hundreds of pounds. But he's not just a pile of muscle rocking a suit, he can operate sophisticated equipment and psychokinetically control terminator-like robots as well. After being locked in prison he manages to hack into the security system and unlock his cell door by manually brute-forcing the password.

8) Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun. I'm simply going to quote the dialogue of another character in the show after having observed Nicholas's exploits: "I've never seen so much ass kicked in all my life...." He's got a great character design, cool looks, and he is a consummate badass with the various weapons concealed in the giant cross he carries. He was once asked why his luggage (the cross) was so heavy. His reply? Because it's full of mercy.

9) Ozen the Immovable from Made in Abyss. Badass meets creepy grandma. Her character design is imposing and oozes power, which is appropriate given her supernatural strength provided by hundreds of magical pins screwed into her flesh.

10) Isamu Dyson from Macross Plus. A fighter jock no doubt inspired by Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun, Isamu is a naturally skilled pilot, never backs down from a fight, and toughs it out through serious injuries. Whether it's taking the ladies out on a wild motorcycle ride or flying the fanciest experimental mechs he's got a double dose of cool ace pilot attitude and mad skillz.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef, I think you've been making great suggestions, but Ozen the Immoveable is an inspired choice! +1.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Regarding AkumaChef's nomination for Homura Akemi: The below quote is much more eloquent than anything that I've written about that character.
Errinundra wrote:
  • While I'm on the subject of magical girls, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Homura Akemi. It took one episode (the tenth) to turn a character I already thought was cool into one of the most awesome characters in anime. Her dedication, her sheer bloody-mindedness, her brilliance and her love for Madoka are central to why the series ends on such high note. Credit must be given to Madoka also, whose final choice is so wondrous, but Homura is the stronger - if flawed - character who does all the hard yards. (By the way, it's unforgiveable [sic] how the movie trashes her aura.)
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
Okay, time for a bulk nominations of my own.

And first thing's first. The most badass character in anime I've seen has all the qualifications of being badass.

Ryuko Matoi from Kill la Kill
She literally defeated many gang members in the past, by herself. And in the present, she defeated the strongest people, who were her sister's elite soldiers for a reason, on her own. She also singlehandedly defeated her mother, who was a supernatural being from outer space. And she did all of this with a single scissor blade.

Next up would be Tsunayoshi Sawada from Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

TvTropes said it best:
Quote:
He REALLY doesn't want to be a Mafia boss. He just wants to live his lazy, average life. That is, until he learns how to beat up bad guys with flaming HANDS as well as flying with them and getting repeatedly gutted, shot, etc and then brushing it off. And only when his friends get hurt, see.

Shion Yasuoka from Shion no Ou

Well, she may not be a badass in terms of strength and fighting ability, but I believe she is one nonetheless. Because it takes guts to stand up to a murderer who killed your parents.

(Will edit this post to add more if I think of any.)

Last edited by Hikari14 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
AkumaChef, I think you've been making great suggestions, but Ozen the Immoveable is an inspired choice! +1.

Thanks. I've been trying to pick a balance between some of the more obvious and some of the more obscure choices.

@nobahn That is an excellent quote indeed and it really captures the reason why I nominated her. There's a lot of badassery in PMMM in general, Mami and Kyoko are both worthy of nomination too. But Homura's dedication is really what stands out.
A few more:

11) Fuji Yakumo from 3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon. In the first 3x3 Eyes OVA Yakumo becomes immortal. That's pretty badass on its own but there's no attitude to go with it; in fact he's kind of useless other than being a meat shield, albeit a devoted one. Things are different in the 2nd series. A few years later, having trained with occultists and martial artists and having found employment as a professional demon hunter, he's a skilled martial artist on his own and can summon monsters to his aid. With that he's got confidence and is willing to go to unbelievable lengths for the girl he loves. He literally cannot be kept down. He's been shot, electrocuted, run over, blown up, eaten by demons, blasted, maimed, smashed, beaten in every savage way imaginable and he keeps coming back for more. He chops off his own hand to save a friend's life. Even though he's hopelessly outclassed by his main antagonist and his goons he doesn't quit. If that's not badass I don't know what is.

12) Naomi Armitage from Armitage III. A highly capable cyborg cop with both physical prowess and high tech weapons. Sounds like the Major from Ghost in the Shell....but Major Kusunagi--while admittedly a badass in her own right---doesn't have the attitude. Or the red leather.

13) Kazuki Fuse from Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade. This film is a masterpiece of direction and artistic detail and both add to his baddass image. Fuse is a highly trained member of an elite police unit. The unforgettable design of the "protect gear" armor, the highly detailed Nazi German weaponry, the masterful behind-the-scenes plotting all add up to a badass. The film is a slow burn to the end where he becomes an unstoppable terminator mowing down terrorists in the sewers with never a word spoken. The contrast between Fuse's silence and the taunts and yells from the terrorists only adds to his badass image. And it's hard to be more badass when you're off-handing an MG42 and have a backpack full of spare belts but somehow Oishii manages to pull it off.

14) Rally Vincent from Gun Smith Cats. She's a bounty hunter, amazingly proficient with firearms, and she drives a Shelby Cobra GT500. On top of all that you can't beat that confident look.

15) Ominae Yu from Spriggan. An orphan turned into a super-soldier via a secret government project is badass already, but throw in his high tech muscle fiber suit and the dial goes up to 11. No action film lead has anything on Yu. Not only is his physical prowess amazing but his mental fortitude is as well-- he struggled to overcome his former military brainwashing and recover his humanity.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll leave these as my last suggestions for a while. There's tons of newer characters I have in mind too but I think I'll give others a shot at some of the newer titles.

16) Jubei Kibagami from Ninja Scroll is perhaps the most iconic badass ronin in anime history. Ninja Scroll is famous for it's amazing action scenes and its brutality. Jubei himself has a strong moral code, spews wisecracks and cynicism, and is of course an amazingly powerful swordsman. In the film he takes down 8 demonic ninja masters with supernatural powers along with countless lesser foes.

17) Rory Mercury from GATE. Gothic Lolita characters are nothing new to anime but one this badass is. Her abilities are just short of literal divinity. Everything and everyone from spec op soldiers to dragons fear her. And the attitude she puts on when someone gets on her bad side rounds out the package. But Rory is a lot more than just power and confidence in battle, she often waxes philosophical, and puts on an entirely different yet also accommodatingly confident attitude when she is put before the Diet and is challenged by a government minister with a less-than-truthful agenda. I'm not sure which is more impressive: watching her slay a legion of soldiers with the attitude the picture above shows, or schooling a sleazeball politician with well-chosen words. Which is sharper, her tongue or her halberd?

18) Shino Kuribayashi, also from GATE. I was trying to stick to one character per title but I feel she is worthy of nomination as well. In a world full of dragons, magic, demigods, and all sorts of other supernatural things she seems rather out of place as a simple soldier with the JSDF. But what she lacks in superhuman powers and physical stature she makes up for with pure cojones. She is skilled with a rifle and a handgun, is rather fond of the bayonet, but her forte is her fists and she doesn't hesitate to charge into battle and take on knights in armor three times her size.

19) Guts from Berserk. Wielding his massive Dragon Slayer sword and packing an actual cannon for a hand Guts is a legendary badass for sure.

20) Gabimaru "Gogul" Rikiya from Cyber City Oedo 808. The mohawk, 80's muscle jacket, cybernetic visor, and scars all scream baddass but the baddassery runs more than just skin deep. A convict serving out a 300 year stint in an orbital prison, Gogul works for the Cyber Police to track down criminals to reduce his own sentence. He's a brilliant hacker, speaks at least three languages (Japanese, English, and Russian according to the show), and has amazing combat skills to boot--taking on an experimental military robot in a bloody and brutal hand-to-hand fight and coming out the victor.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Gennousuke from Basilisk

Gennousuke the leader of the Kouga clan, a deadly fighter, he possesses some of the most unique (and badass) abilities thanks to rigorous traning and can defeat enemies even when temporarily blinded thanks so enhanced senses. He's also so devoted to his clan that he puts its good over his personal feelings.

Riza Haweye from FMA/FMA Brotherhood

She's the most devoted friend and companion you can think of. She's also one of the deadliest (if not the deadliest) snipers in the army. Always fearless, cool and composed, not one you want to make an enemy out of.

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
A bunch of fine selections so far. A few were on my list to add. Guess I'll have to pick others.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I haven't been paying attention to this forum lately so I didn't notice until now that this had started.

I'll heartily second Rory Mercury. I will more reservedly second Kuribiyashi, as her displays of baddassery mostly come down to two scenes, but they're still strong scenes.

I'll nominate a handful once I have more time to think abou it, though they will mostly be from more recent series. One relatively recent choice that comes to mind is LLENN, the Pink Devil from SAO's Gun Gale Online. Anyone who can finish off an opponent despite having no arms left deserves to be in the tournament.

Another potentially interesting relatively recent choice would be Maple from BOFURI. It's a different kind of badassery, but still might fit.

And let's not forget about Dark Schneider from Bastard!! He has few equals when it comes to swagger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And let's not forget about Dark Schneider from Bastard!! He has few equals when it comes to swagger.

Oh yes, he's actually on my yet-to-be-posted list. An excellent choice for sure!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Tomorrow and Saturday I'll put together what we have so far with nominations and votes for and against. I appreciate the links and photos and reasonings with the nominations so far. Good work!
Hikari14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
Some more nominations:

Jacuzzi Splot, Claire Stanfield, Chane Laforet, Ladd Russo and Nice Holystone from Baccano

They could hold their own in a fight against multiple people, and/or equally skilled individuals, and they just give off that badass vibe.

Here's some videos too

Last edited by Hikari14 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:03 am; edited 3 times in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
A few more:

21) Dark Schneider from Bastard!!. Wow, where to begin. The world of Bastard!! is pretty badass already, being based on a strange combination of Dungeon & Dragons lore with names taken from 80's heavy metal bands. Dark Schneider himself--the most powerful wizard in the land who came back from the dead--is named after Udo Dirkschneider from the German metal band Accept and his main antagonist is "Anthrasax" clearly derived from the band Anthrax. Schneider is a beast physically, and his magic is so powerful that he once defeated a fire elemental with fire magic, raising the temperature so high that not even a being made of fire could survive. And his swagger and attitude are nearly unmatched making the title rather appropriate.

22) Saki Asamiya from Sukeban Deka. Now I personally don't care for this title but despite that I feel the need to nominate her. Saki is perhaps the origin of the now-stereotypical delinquent schoolgirl character. She's stubborn as can be, constantly gets into fights, and packs a steel yo-yo as a weapon. Not only does she rock the badass attitude, but her character influenced a lot of later shoujou works as well.

23) Gally / Alita from Gunnm / Battle Angel. I think she needs little exposition given how many people know about her from the recent James Cameron film if not from the OVA or the manga, but she is unquestionably a badass. A derelict cyborg found in a scrap heap, she is repaired by Dr. Ido, an expert cybermedic. She has no memories except for that of her legendary martial art, Panzer Kunst, and eventually becomes a bounty hunter and a champion player in the gladiator-combat--meets-rollerball sport of "motorball".

24) Busujima from Psycho Diver: Soul Siren. This is one of those titles where the plot is a bit shaky but the imagery and the attitude is cranked up all the way. After his old friend Lance gets his head blown up by psychic energy trying to help a singer under evil influence, Busujima steps up to the task. He drives a pimpin' BMW, seems to be quite the playboy, and is an excellent combatant to boot. The ladies at the facility where he sometimes works refer to him as superman because of the level of his mental powers. He has no reservations using experimental psychic equipment his technician describes as "so dangerous it's like driving an F1 car without brakes". He's also quite full of himself. While introducing himself to a lady he states:
A rich man...tall, handsome...and very strong. Is that the kind of man you want? I'm an ace at combat, and at "other things" too. Want proof?
Well it turns out that he really is great at all those things and he darn near seems to be immortal, something he claims to be more than once in the show. And man, that hair.

25) Shagia Frost from After War Gundam X. The main antagonists in Gundam X are a pair of brothers, and Shagia is the older, cooler, smug, one while his younger brother Olba is the impulsive one who always gets into trouble. Shagia always dresses snazzy, has a pretty badass Gundam, is fond of making chess metaphors, and on at least one occasion using chess pieces as a weapon. His swagger is befitting his ruthless nature.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi Hikari14, for any nominations to be counted you also need to provide a brief reason as to why you are nominating them, and who they are. Once you edit your post and add that for them I can officially count them as entrants. Thanks!

Up to this point here is the list of official entrants. I have organized it in alphabetical order by the series title. I figured that would be easiest for people to see who has, or has not, been already nominated from a particular show. I will go back through the posts so far and update any additional "votes" for nominated characters. Remember, if you like a character, or don't like one, don't forget to vote for or against them. This helps with seeding purposes and also in case we have more nominations than the tournament allows for. You can vote for or against as many characters as you want, but you can only vote for or against them once. Also, no voting for your own nominations please. Thanks!

On a personal note I am loving the amount of nominations for older titles. It warms the cackles of my old fogie anime heart.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon:
Fuji Yakumo

After War Gundam X:
Shagia Frost

Armitage III:
Naomi Armitage +1

Attack on Titan:
Reiner Braun +1

Basalisk:
Gennousuke +1

Bastard:
Dark Schneider

Battle Angel Alita:
Alita +1

Berserk:
Guts +1

Black Lagoon:
Revy +1

Bubblegum Crisis:
Leon McNichol

Cowboy Bebop:
Spike Spiegel +1

Cyber City Oedo 808:
Gabimaru Rikiya

El-Hazard the Magnificent World:
Masamichi Fujisawa +1

Full Metal Alchemist:
Riza Hawkeye +1

Gate:
Rory Mercury +1
Shino Kuribayashi +1

Ghost in the Shell:
Batou +1

Gunsmith Cats:
Rally Vincent +1

Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade:
Kazuki Fuse

Katekyo Hitman Reborn:
Tsunayoshi Sawada

Key the Metal idol:
Sergei (aka D)

Kill la Kill:
Ryuko Matoi +1

Macross Plus:
Isamu Dyson

Made in Abyss:
Ozen the Immovable +1

Ninja Scroll:
Jubei Kibagami +1

Outlaw Star:
Gene Starwind

Psycho Driver:
Busujima

Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
Homura Akemi +1

Ruroni Kenshin:
Himura Kenshin +1

Shion no Ou:
Shion Yauoka

Shinki:
Toshio Ozaki

Spriggan:
Ominae Yu +1

Sukeban Deka:
Saki Asamiya

Trigun:
Nicholas Wolfwood

Vampire Hunter D:
“D” +1

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10