• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemono Jihen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long just to listen to Aoi Yuuki's terrific performance.

I don't see an Aoi Yuuki in the cast. Who are you referring to?

Oops, I was replying in the wrong thread! Sorry.

Aoi has the main role in the spider anime.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Viz will license the manga in the near future. It seems like a title they would pick up
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:42 am Reply with quote
I was surprised that Akira didn't recognize Inugami's tanuki form. I would've thought both he and Shiki would have seen it by now. Heh, he kinda looked like a furry Mr. Peabody.

Somehow I didn't find Akira's flashbacks of his brother telling him he didn't have to do anything, in any way comforting. His expression was downright sinister. I think there's going to be a lot more to that story than a protective brother who accidentally got separated from him.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the kanonba in this episode are the perfect combination of gross and terrifying, transforming their human faces into those of mosquitos in an instant so as to suck out the brains of their victims.

Oh god those mosquito kemono in the second half were horrifying. I cringed so much when one of them was sucking that guy's brains out... Ewwwwww

Yeah, I really dislike Inari so far. I want Kon to be happy Sad

The hikikomori vampire Mihai seems interesting... I like how the series draws upon European folklore too.
Vycey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hoo boy, mosquito head lady gives me Treehouse of Horror flashbacks...

Maybe I've missed something, but so far every weekly review casts Inugami in varying degrees of negative light and I just don't see it. Not only does he take good care of the kids and give them a safe place to stay, but he clearly wants to keep them out of real danger. At worst he's a quirky weirdo who doesn't spell out his motives, but he's not a malicious schemer putting the kids in harm's way. Inari and Mihai have pretty much got that covered.

And rather than canned tomatoes, Mihai treats himself to delicious canned pomegranates. Maybe they're more artsy-fartsy as a blood substitute?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Vycey wrote:
Maybe I've missed something, but so far every weekly review casts Inugami in varying degrees of negative light and I just don't see it. Not only does he take good care of the kids and give them a safe place to stay, but he clearly wants to keep them out of real danger. At worst he's a quirky weirdo who doesn't spell out his motives, but he's not a malicious schemer putting the kids in harm's way.

Yeah honestly, like I get them thinking that when he calls Inari and says "I'm sending the kids" at the end of episode 2 (which was intentionally misleading) but other than that he's been genuinely nice to them. Heck, he even straight up saved Kabane and Akira himself last episode. He's also been nice to Kon despite her previously having been with Inari because he knows she's been cast out. If he wasn't stuck in the closet this ep he probably would have done something to help Shiki too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure Inari knows about the mosquito ladies, and I think they'd like to keep it that way, which they can't if dead bodies start turning up, Inari heading up the cops and all. As for Inari, I'm sure she couldn't care less if they killed people, but having a bunch of brainless corpses on her hands might attract outside attention, which she might have trouble keeping a lid on. So no deaths keeps everybody happy.

Mihei is kind of in a similar situation. He wants to toy with the kids, but he'll do what he can to keep them from dying, since that would jeopardize his cushy gig with Inugami. He just wasn't expecting Shiki to freak out on him, so now he's got a problem.

I'm worried about poor Kon waiting in the park, since Kabane said his errand wouldn't take long. She's got enough abandonment issues as it is.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
Vycey wrote:

Maybe I've missed something, but so far every weekly review casts Inugami in varying degrees of negative light and I just don't see it.

Huh, I guess I have, haven't I? Having spent the morning thinking about this (instead of prepping for class, whoops), I have come to the conclusion that I just don't trust him. Yes, he saved Kabane and bailed he and Akira out, but as a yokai/kemono, bake-danuki are tricksters, and their folktales really focus on how they delight in fooling others, putting them in dangerous situations (for fun!) and scaring them. So while Inugami seems more altruistic than other tanuki, he also can't help himself from sending the kids into situations he really shouldn't be - like telling Mihai that he's in charge of the whole Bugbite situation because he picked it, with the tacit understanding that he'd get to use the kids for it. Even if he wasn't locked up, that sounded like his plan, and while he might have (probably would have) bailed Shiki out at the last minute like he did Akira before, it doesn't scream "good guardian" that he'd let them get into last-minute situations in the first place.

Hopefully I am totally overthinking this. But now I really should go get ready for class!
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:26 am Reply with quote
Tanuki can be cute and mischievous like they appear in Uchouten Kazoku. They can also be terrifying like the 808 Tanuki Army in GeGeGe no Kitarou. Thanks for reminding me that we should always keep Inugami's tanuki side in mind.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Nobimaru is my favorite character in this series!
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
As the episode was drawing towards the end of its runtime, I was starting to wonder if Kabane would actually remember his promise to Kon or if we'd just get a shot of her on a bench, still waiting. He remembered her, several days later, but oh, poor Kon. Kabane is completely subverting the Dulcinea Effect, and it's hilarious, but also really sad.

Most importantly, we finally get to hear Hiro Shimono as Nobimaru, and all I can really say at this point is that the level of star power in this show is absolutely disgusting. Laughing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ever since they started their mission, I was wondering "won't Kabane tell Kon?"... and he forgot about her for several days. The poor dumbass.
I guess he can still eat the rotten fish but they can't really share that meal anymore, can they?

Princess_Irene wrote:
Huh, I guess I have, haven't I? Having spent the morning thinking about this (instead of prepping for class, whoops), I have come to the conclusion that I just don't trust him. Yes, he saved Kabane and bailed he and Akira out, but as a yokai/kemono, bake-danuki are tricksters, and their folktales really focus on how they delight in fooling others, putting them in dangerous situations (for fun!) and scaring them. So while Inugami seems more altruistic than other tanuki, he also can't help himself from sending the kids into situations he really shouldn't be - like telling Mihai that he's in charge of the whole Bugbite situation because he picked it, with the tacit understanding that he'd get to use the kids for it. Even if he wasn't locked up, that sounded like his plan, and while he might have (probably would have) bailed Shiki out at the last minute like he did Akira before, it doesn't scream "good guardian" that he'd let them get into last-minute situations in the first place.

Honestly, that's just tanuki-style caretaking. They're mischievous, and care for their own, but they're also reckless, clumsy and have a tendency to get into a pickle.
I also like how this is playing with mythology. Inugami seems to be growing into the figure of Danzaburou, who for the record got several kitsune killed (including one who "just" asked him to let him in Danzaburou's no-kitsune-allowed island... I hope that isn't Kon) and their given names are pretty ironic: Inari might bear the name of a god and have lesser foxes at her service, but she has the characteristic of the worst of those bewitching bakegitsune.
As for Inugami, it might seem it's 犬神, those demonic dog gods, but it was actually 隠神, for Inugami Gyoubu, the tanuki (with 808 tanuki in his care) protecting the Matsuyama castle who betrayed his liege and helped the rebels. Although I guess we'll see whether this one is that ironic or not.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
I kept seeing glimpses of the thumbnails for this show but I kept skipping it because the show has that one tag that fills me with dread- shonen- but blurb for the episode 6 review and its non ambiguous horror slant finally got me to start the series and I have been enjoying it. The show even managed to get under my skin, especially when the mosquito woman killed her two sisters because while blood may be thicker than water, thick sisters are more useful for their blood than familial relationships.

So, eww. Why their heads though? Did she really just suck out her sisters' brains? Well, that's food for thought then.

Akira: "My twin brother". Me: How oddly... specific. As per usual, I won't discus it until the show decides to expand on it but... and I'll just leave it at that.
Episode 7 [facepalm]... yet this show goes out of its way to antagonize me about it.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Supernatural being or not, that's a weird (and mildly worrying) thing for a thirteen-year-old kid to recognize right off the bat. We knew Inari wasn't a great guardian from poor Kon, but this is a whole new realm of weirdness in terms of her parenting skills.

spoiler[Nobimaru is older than he looks.
It's revealed later his 13 year old self is just one magical form he uses, and that he's the form of a young man in his possible mid-late teens (still not confirmed if this is just another form or that's how he really looks).]
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
My most interesting take-away from this episode is the unspoken notion that Kemono are perhaps the "factual" basis for a number of folkloric creatures that don't actually exist themselves. We have tanuki, kitsune, and yuki-onna (well, almost), but a spider woman in a forest, in rural Japan, is somehow immediately identified as an "arachne," instead of the more obvious jorogumo or tsuchigumo. It's almost too casual to be a proper saving throw, but I think the basic gist is that any "made-up" creatures in previous episodes are simply types of Kemono that have been successful at keeping themselves hidden from humans.

The usual pattern in series like this is for everything to be originally Japanese in some way, whether or not that actually makes sense for the setting, but here we have a presumably western creature influencing a Japanese folktale instead (yes, a made-up one, but the implications stand, I think).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8