• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Addresses Mushoku Tensei, Classroom of the Elite Light Novel Localization Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
If you are going to censor Mushoku Tensei then you need to have it printed on the cover and listed on Amazon that this volume is censored for content. By not explicitly doing that, you are trying to get one past your consumers or more importantly lying to your consumers, because you already know, most fans don't want censored content and lying to them is the only way to get them to buy your censored version.

It really is insulting that Seven Seas has been doing this crap. Now it makes all of Seven Seas catalog suspect.

Hope J-Novel hasn't been doing this, or even thinking of doing it.

Seven Seas, no one is buying your localization argument/apology, it is pretty obvious what you did.

Bottom line, selling censored content is damaging to the industry, as it pushes fans to pirate to get the uncensored version. It taints all of your company's catalog, making your customers wonder if your other novels have been censored also, since you didn't come clean on the ones you got caught on.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of any of these titles but changing the meaning and purpose of the text is flat out unacceptable in this day of age the translators should of known that fans would notice this type of thing.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Bottom line, selling censored content is damaging to the industry, as it pushes fans to pirate to get the uncensored version.

What makes this more funny is that every week, when you go to RedoHealer's discussion page on r/anime(which drops +/- when the official episode comes out in EN), the top comments for a while are "3h to go" as in "3h till we can sail the seas for the uncensored".

This is just the usual "We used the pre-existing fanbase of this niche to establish ourselves, time to tell them to fug off so we can expand" gtfo
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I've only seen the first episode of Jobless so far, but I was already getting some very sketchy vibes from Paul already, but that doesn't mean I would have necessarily realized that what happened with Lilia wasn't a consensual thing that happened to involve adultery, and was actually a noble forcing himself on a servant. Either would have explained why I didn't like the guy, but the degree is significantly different.

For accuracy's sake, a significant clarification: The adultery that was committed during the story was consensual (well, as consensual as master-servant relationships can be); furthermore it was initiated by Lilia. He raped Lilia many years before he hired her.

spoiler[Specifically, back when Paul and Lilia were both learning the sword at a training hall, Paul decided to quit and raped Lilia before he took off. Later in life Lilia was crippled in the line of duty and fired from her post, and while looking for a job she found Paul's listing for a maid and thinking he wasn't a bad guy, figured he'd hire her... or she'd blackmail him into it.]
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
How likely is it for Seven Seas to issue free replacements to people who already own copies of these messed up books? Cause J Novel Club did it when their print volume was missing a page and the process went really smoothly and with no drama.
Rogural

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
How likely is it for Seven Seas to issue free replacements to people who already own copies of these messed up books? Cause J Novel Club did it when their print volume was missing a page and the process went really smoothly and with no drama.

They've offered a similarly vague, non-committal answer, which really isn't good enough considering how bad COTE vol7 really is.
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1357007077420457992
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
While I immensely appreciate all the companies officially releasing translated LNs, the excessive nature of these edits is very worrying.
Makes me wonder if any of the stuff I'm reading has been heavily altered...
.....Does anyone know if the Re:Zero releases have content missing?

@Melicans
Publishers do research. Sure, they can't read every chapter around but they can read maybe a couple of the fan translated chapters to get a sense for what the story is. There's also the manga adaptation available to give a basic view of the story. They don't go into it blind. Like AksaraKishou said, they don't just say "hey let's bid shitloads of money on this title we know nothing about!". That's not how it works.
Part of the licensing job is to research. People get paid to do that. It's part of their job.

I have all of the printed Volumes of Re Zero and nothing seems to be changed, so you are all good.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Rogural wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

They've offered a similarly vague, non-committal answer, which really isn't good enough considering how bad COTE vol7 really is.
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1357007077420457992

Well luckily I only own up to Vol 5 of COTE, but I have Vol 1-3 of Mushoku. I would really appreciate replacements. Its not like they have any ground to complain. Its their screw ups.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I have all of the printed Volumes of Re Zero and nothing seems to be changed, so you are all good.

That's a relief! Thank you for letting me know. It's the main novel series I read so it'd suck if it's had stuff removed...
Lightblooz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please explain me on spoilers what happens in the novel? I feel like if they are considering this, it has to be because of something big that happens in the novel and can't be ignored. But if this is all about the anime then they are just plainly stupid.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If you are going to censor Mushoku Tensei then you need to have it printed on the cover and listed on Amazon that this volume is censored for content. By not explicitly doing that, you are trying to get one past your consumers or more importantly lying to your consumers, because you already know, most fans don't want censored content and lying to them is the only way to get them to buy your censored version.

[...]

Bottom line, selling censored content is damaging to the industry, as it pushes fans to pirate to get the uncensored version. It taints all of your company's catalog, making your customers wonder if your other novels have been censored also, since you didn't come clean on the ones you got caught on.

Right, it all comes down to transparent communication with your target audience. Do that once and you will have a hard time to regain the trust of your customers.

In the recent years some manga series in Germany had been censored due to explicit content, but the publishers did not bother to tell the fans and when people were addressing that issue on their official social media after it came to light that multiple pages and chapters were omitted, they even take a potshot at their followers telling them to rather "question themselves for their problematic demand and mentality". That was the primary reason why some friends and I rather import manga from English publishers.

It is good that Seven Seas take the criticism to heart in comparison to those said publishers, but it is still a bummer, since we were mostly convinced about their portfolio and overall quality.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what would have motivated the Classroom of the Elite changes? I don't follow the series, but it sounds like they cut way more out of that than out of Mushoku Tensei, so I'm definitely curious what kind of content got cut.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
The alterations shouldn't have happened. Censorship for the sake of marketing never works.

What happens when retailers decide to stop selling the books, as we've seen with various "questionable" works in the past few years? I don't condone the changes listed in the article, but these publishers have to walk a tightrope through a lose-lose situation.
Rogural

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Does anyone know what would have motivated the Classroom of the Elite changes? I don't follow the series, but it sounds like they cut way more out of that than out of Mushoku Tensei, so I'm definitely curious what kind of content got cut.

It was incredibly important character motivations and backstory. There was no apparent content that would be seen as pushing an envelope like the rape or sexual assault in the cut Mushoku content. At most I'd say there was an issue with the bullying described.

If you're not picky on spoilers I'd really recommend looking through the reddit post because it is most definitely egregious. Just the first passage alone has the official translation at 48 words, while the fan translation sits at 131, and this isn't about the fan translation being verbose, they've outright omitted tons. And that's just the first of many.

I know the Mushoku affair is undesired and bad, but personally, I think more attention should be on Classroom of the Elite because it's downright shocking what they've done. Nothing warrants this. And the explanation they've given is blasé at best.
helln00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This isn't addressed in the article but I wonder if they ever atleast got an agreement from the japanese publishers for the changes.

From the looks of the post they didn't but often these agreements should contain like rights to edit that is agreed upon by both sides.

I do think though calling this censorship on some level feels off. They will treat it like a product that can be changed to fit different markets. Dubs and subs feel completely different sometimes and besides stuff like one piece, yugioh and pokemon I dont fully agree that its censorship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6