• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
I just hope Funimation don't screw up the Spanish and Brazilian dubs... Crunchyroll dubs are way better and Funimation needs to use other studios instead

That was my main concern about this deal, CR has done a much better job at dubbing anime into Neutral Spanish with shows like Dr. Stone, KonoSuba, Kobayashi-san, Jujutsu Kaisen, Free!, among others being well received by spanish-speaking fans.
On the other hand, Funi started on the wrong foot with their controversial My Hero Academia dub made in Miami (with some voices done in other countries), they later dubbed shows like Assassination Classroom, Overlord and Steins;Gate in Cuernavaca, Mexico (with some actors from Mexico City working as well), they only improved when the Attack on Titan dub made in Mexico City came out (and even then, they got help by the company which dubbed the compilation films, because it was planned to be dubbed in Miami). Now shows like Kaguya-sama, Fruits Basket and Fire Force were dubbed in Mexico CIty and were much better received. There are some rumors that they plan to re-dub Cowboy Bebop as well.
CR dub their shows in SDI Media, Sensasiones Sonicas and Audiomaster, while Funi now primarily chooses VSI. I don't know if this acquisition means that they're moving CR to VSI only and if they plan to dub some shows in other countries besides Mexico with studios like The Kitchen.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Thank God. Now hopefully they can fix all the stupid things crunchyroll was doing.

If you've ever visited Funimation's website or any of their apps you'd know Crunchyroll isn't the one that needs fixing here.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Thank God. Now hopefully they can fix all the stupid things crunchyroll was doing.

If you've ever visited Funimation's website or any of their apps you'd know Crunchyroll isn't the one that needs fixing here.

Yeah -- I'm not fond of the recent CR website changes, but I outright canceled my Funi subscription after enduring the Funimation website one too many times. Seems escape was impossible all along..

Oddly, I was happier with anime streaming back when CR was more-or-less a monopoly player in it. I somehow doubt I'll relive that feeling with FuniRoll, though. Shocked
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing. All of this power is now consolidated in the hands of a few people rather than the many co-workers that create and do the work of distributing these works.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

If you knew all the constant stupid stuff crunchyroll constantly did you would also know cruncyroll needs more fixing. As someone said earlier maybe at least be able to give better credit English dub voice actors. Maybe have better home releases that are more consistent. Maybe have better sub translations,etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Last edited by Lord Vaultman on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomokocchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, I think this kind of sucks.

On one hand, yes, it will be nice to have all the shows on Funimation and Crunchyroll under the same service. Less services to subscribe to means less money on the part of the consumer. On the other hands, monopolies suck and this feels like it's Sony just becoming one step closer to becoming the Disney of anime distribution.

Aside from HiDive what anime streaming services are left that Sony doesn't own? Netflix and Amazon Prime don't specialize in anime. They're just services that happen to carry some anime.

Not to mention that people will likely be losing their jobs in this merger.

Also, which app will become "the" one now? Funi or Crunchy? Because I honestly hate Funimation's website and their app. CR has it's share of problems too (and I hate how they've changed the queue over the years) but Funi's app is just so slow and clunky and I hate the style of subtitles they use. (Crunchy does things like makes subtitles outlined in blue during flashback sequences in shows, puts translations of signs under the signs, etc. and Funimation still has plain white text with ugly black bars behind it for all subtitles, at least they do on the app on my Fire Stick TV.)
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Confused I'm not sure how I feel about there being more and more of a monopoly on anime in America. These companies already get away with a lot as it is.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Now this is LITERALLY the death knell of Canadian anime dubs I guess. Outside of Vanguard, we've got pretty much nothing at this point since even Beyblade got moved to the US a couple of seasons ago. Here's hoping the Gintama movie gets a Canadian dub though.

Not surprised it went through given it was iffy to begin with. Let's hope people stop moaning about Netflix and Amazon grabbing stuff now, unless they actually like the place the Western anime scene is at.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
On one hand it's nice to have everything in one package, on the other hand I don't like Texas based dubs and hope LA dubs won't die.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
How will Sentai survive when all they have is rejects and crumbs from the table?

[b]{Mod edit}: I edited out the complete overdramatization that was also in bad taste. ~ Redbeard 101[/b]
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
How will Sentai survive when all they have is rejects and crumbs from the table?

I don’t think this changes anything for Sentai. They haven’t competed for the bigger titles in years and this doesn’t change that. If anything I think this might free up some of the sub only licenses that Crunchyroll got since Funimation likes to dub 90% of their licenses.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Tomokocchi wrote:
Also, which app will become "the" one now? Funi or Crunchy? Because I honestly hate Funimation's website and their app. CR has it's share of problems too (and I hate how they've changed the queue over the years) but Funi's app is just so slow and clunky and I hate the style of subtitles they use. (Crunchy does things like makes subtitles outlined in blue during flashback sequences in shows, puts translations of signs under the signs, etc. and Funimation still has plain white text with ugly black bars behind it for all subtitles, at least they do on the app on my Fire Stick TV.)

I’ve certainly had issues with Funimation’s website and apps, but if you have issues with Funimation’s subtitles, you may want to look at your device settings. Funimation uses soft subtitles, and for apps those are controlled by the device settings. I don’t have a Fire Stick TV, so I can’t be more specific, but if you look for captions style or something like that under Accessibility or maybe audio or something like that, you should be able to customize the subtitles to turn off the black background. You’ll need to turn a text edge effect to put an outline around the letters so you can read them. I learned about that a couple years ago when I had the same thing happen with Hulu’s app. CR, by contrast, uses hard subs, i.e. subs that are put into the video itself, which gives them more control on where they are placed and the color and stuff. I prefer that as well, but some people don’t like hard subs since they can’t be turned off.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
The two companies between them control(led) probably 95% of the market... What's left are dabblers and other little fish.

That's not a recipe for increased competition.

Netflix doesn’t count for you?

Netflix has a modest back catalog, which it adds to slowly. It occasionally streams a current season show, and every once in a while it's not one of their "originals"/co-productions. As things stand, Netflix is very much a "dabbler and little fish" compared to Funiroll. That is, it's the level of activity and perceived interest which matters - not the size of the bankroll.

It's not impossible that will change, but Netflix's competition is Disney, HBO, and Amazon... And none of them have displayed any serious interest in getting into the anime game. (Amazon did, but then flubbed it and let their service quietly die.) I imagine Netflix could be a bigger player any day they decide to... But I doubt they're going to put serious cash into fighting a battle that they're the only one (currently) fighting.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Do we even know if Sony will actually merge Funimation and CrunchyRoll?

They could just let them operate as independent subsidiarities...

But if not, then I welcome our new 'PlayStation Streaming Network' overlords, where you watch Precure, Dragonball & Spider-Man together at last!
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Now this is LITERALLY the death knell of Canadian anime dubs I guess. Outside of Vanguard, we've got pretty much nothing at this point since even Beyblade got moved to the US a couple of seasons ago. Here's hoping the Gintama movie gets a Canadian dub though.

This doesn't really change anything there. Crunchyroll's last Canadian anime dub was Kiznaiver, which was released in 2017. I guess it's a bad sign to definitively rule them out, but it's not as though they were doing anything else outside of non-union productions from Bang Zoom and Studiopolis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6