• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Employees Sue Good Smile for Distributing 'Potentially Obscene Sexually Explicit Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I don't know how long it's going to take, but USA will indeed manage to ruin anime (and its merchandise) for the whole world sooner or later.

Uh you do know that editing and censoring stuff related to anime, manga, or Japanese video game and even things not made in Japan is not exclusively an American thing right?
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quite partial title of this news.

I honestly just count the days for Japan to become a piece of the west OVER extremist . Anyone following Japanese news sites should know how the climate has warmed recently with cases involving censorship.
Touma55

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:

I honestly just count the days for Japan to become a piece of the west OVER extremist . Anyone following Japanese news sites should know how the climate has warmed recently with cases involving censorship.

Care to give any examples? I often see quite a bit of backlash whenever there is censorship happening. Not trying to be a jackass or anything btw I seriously do want to see some examples if you have some.
todobien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BTW "funding controversial website 4chan" is not illegal last time I check.

Reading it, they are stating Good Smile has a toxic workplace. Calling out the tax evasion, 4chan and other things is to give examples of toxic workplace. I read most of the claim, it looks like they mentioned it several times to Japan and were ignored.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Changeman wrote:

Care to give any examples? I often see quite a bit of backlash whenever there is censorship happening. Not trying to be a jackass or anything btw I seriously do want to see some examples if you have some.

Recently there was a case where a group of self-styled feminist parliamentarians demanded that a Japanese police unit's website remove a video about bicycle safety guides because the host was a vtuber that allegedly promoted misogyny and sexual assaults. The video was removed from the site, but can still be seen on the vtuber agency channel.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:
I don't know how long it's going to take, but USA will indeed manage to ruin anime (and its merchandise) for the whole world sooner or later.

Uh you do know that editing and censoring stuff related to anime, manga, or Japanese video game and even things not made in Japan is not exclusively an American thing right?

You're right. France also had a period in the 1990s where they were upping the censorship on anime and manga as well.

The main point however is that the United States is the nation with the most baggage regarding media censorship and an immense scarlet letter for any form of entertainment that isn't live action that dares to go beyond entertaining children and "family friendly" entertainment. You can duel me with this all you want, but some people are willing to stir up controversy for their own agendas. First they came for Superman for a "true American nation" in the 1950s, now these two lawsuit seeking clowns crying wolf.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time finding any information about the VTuber video being removed?

Edit: Link. Context that was missing: the group that pressured for the removal were Japanese people (https://afer-fem.org/); not westerners. This seems somewhat similar to the complaints levied at the Japan Red Cross about Uzaki-chan.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/videos/womens-rights-group-gets-vtubers-controversial-psas-taken-down-fans-fight-to-bring-them-back/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma55

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:

Recently there was a case where a group of self-styled feminist parliamentarians demanded that a Japanese police unit's website remove a video about bicycle safety guides because the host was a vtuber that allegedly promoted misogyny and sexual assaults. The video was removed from the site, but can still be seen on the vtuber agency channel.

Oh yeah I remember hearing about that. No idea how that slipped my mind. Absolutely absurd imo. The reasoning of the feminist group was completely ridiculous. I was glad to see the Vtuber agency bite back and the support that they have gotten though. Hopefully the police will change their minds about this.
redaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="cookiemanstah"]
animefan57892 wrote:
Quote:

Whatever you opinion of 4chan is, funding a controversial website is not a crime, whether their allegation is true or not. Puting the claim in a lawsuit is ridiculous.

4chan isn't a mere "controversial website." It's a site breeding terrorism that is protected by basic free rights to exist on the surface web. I don't think it's that ridiculous to put in that suit claim.

you understand what Character Assassination is when someone make claims of action that are morally questionable but not illegal??
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

The 11 year old girl in just a button up shirt with knee high socks, that pretty creepy. Also, if I remember correctly the PROTECT Act first rule is average person's point of view, so we kind do sometimes. It a pretty gray area with this stuff and which state the lawsuit is happening in probably would play a huge factor into the suit. But not a lawyer, just a random person on the internet who like anime

Oh god. Why is it that whenever anime characters are brought up somebody has to mention the PROTECT ACT, you know, that act that was deemed unconstitutional years ago, altered, and now it only pertains to lewd imagery of either real children, or in a style that is indistinguishable to a real child. Hate to break it to you, but cartoon characters dont fall under that umbrella.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
but I also don't know how funding a website - no matter what is my opinion about them (let's just say it's not positive) - is illegal.

The only websites illegal to fund would be those used for otherwise illegal activity such as ISIS recruitment or many sales websites in the ".onion" domain.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 am Reply with quote
Huh so I guess my post got removed since I got a notification about a reply to my post that had a faulty link so went to check and my post seems to be non existent now.

Guess you don't like that I was just pointing out how odd it is that these former workers decided to sue in America rather than Japan, which is where goodsmile is based. And that I speculated it might have to do with the fact that the USA has been trigger happy with banning and censoring anime so thought thought the might have a better chance at succeeding there
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
Quote:
I was just pointing out how odd it is that these former workers decided to sue in America rather than Japan, which is where goodsmile is based.

If you go to the lawsuit link provided in the article you will find that the ex-employees and their company Imaginary People are US based and are being sued by the US branch of Good Smile based in Delaware. This does not involve the Japanese parent company.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It was removed for being conspiracy theory nonsense and faulty. Which you have had pointed out by others. Other posts were removed as well. Moving on.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm really getting sick of people attacking anime and trying to get stuff banned like anime figures which are literally harmless products that are there to appeal to fans of those characters. Really hope this doesn't cause a chain reaction that forces Good Smile from carrying figures of certain characters in the future :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4