• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - What in The Fresh Hell is Going On With Square-Enix?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

You’re basing this off of what exactly? them having other things to look over is not why the FFXIII stuff was messy (and people were comparing about FF in general long before 2009), why Kingdom Hearts 3 took so long to come out, nor why you have titles that are still waiting on newer entries like Musashi, Vagrant Story, or Bushido Blade or why some games were never localized outside of Japan like the 3DS version of Dragonquest XI..

Because the SE current has released slew of AA titles (Octopath Traveler, NEO TWENTY, Bravely Default games, Nier Automata,Triangle Strategy, SaGa Scarlet GracE Trials of Mana) and midst of reviving once thought dead franchises (Mana Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean) and making new IP (DioField Chronicles).

Just because they aren't focusing on some other specific niche games doesn't mean they aren't do any. Beside Musashi got a sequel back in the PS2 era.

So I have no idea why some people in this thread a re acting like SE is some miserable shape. The SE right now is in the most profitable state they have bee its entire history and vast majority of their titles have sold very well.

Yeah there some whining about blockchain, but there nothing ever suggest that wasn't any thing but lip-service to investors. At worst it have been something pretty benign.

I certainly don't disagree. There is a lot of focus on the bit about SE saying it can focus more on those things, but it wasn't exactly hurting for cash. I think SE wanted out of western development for awhile now, and selling those studios, even at a low ball price, looks a lot better than closing studios or layoffs. They unloaded a lot of expense without doing it in a way that investors would interpret as a sign the company was in trouble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3