• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The yellow bars in the ratings for episodes 11 and 12 have widths of 76 and 44 pixels, respectively, out of 100. That comes out to 3.8 stars and 2.2 stars.

How do you pick these ratings? Is this all, like, an extended joke about the inherent absurdity about summarizing media with a number from 1 to 5? Is there going to be a 2.45-star episode sometime?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The yellow bars in the ratings for episodes 11 and 12 have widths of 76 and 44 pixels, respectively, out of 100. That comes out to 3.8 stars and 2.2 stars.

How do you pick these ratings? Is this all, like, an extended joke about the inherent absurdity about summarizing media with a number from 1 to 5? Is there going to be a 2.45-star episode sometime?

My approach to star and number ratings is actually very coherent and straightforward: I spend as little time as possible considering them and just throw out whatever decimal my brain spits out. I do this solely to fulfil editorial requirements and if I had my druthers all star ratings for reviews would be replaced by far more intuitive ways of grading media, like what song it got me in the mood to listen to, or a funny picture I thought of while formatting the review.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:59 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
My approach to star and number ratings is actually very coherent and straightforward: I spend as little time as possible considering them and just throw out whatever decimal my brain spits out. I do this solely to fulfil editorial requirements and if I had my druthers all star ratings for reviews would be replaced by far more intuitive ways of grading media, like what song it got me in the mood to listen to, or a funny picture I thought of while formatting the review.

As someone who once rated an anime "potato out of 10", I fully support this motion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3