• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Matsuri Licenses, Dubs 2 Anime Shorts From Nippon Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow Tiffany Vollmer is back.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime Matsuri dubbed the half-hour shorts through its own newly created studio, with Vic Mignogna credited for ADR directing and voice acting.

Oh dear.

Quote:
(Anime Matsuri's announcement misspelled Young and Cranz's names.)

Oh dear.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
"Vic Mignogna"

This just shows Anime Matsuri cares only about greed and nothing else. Any person with morals and respect..and any person who believes women are equal to men, should not support this company[/quote]
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Ew. Anime Matsuri and sex pest Vic are a perfect match for each other if nothing else.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Voice actress Berry stated on Twitter after the announcement that sometimes actors do not know who they are working with because they are "not given a full list of all the people involved." Fellow actress Nichols retweeted Berry's statement.

Man, imagine putting your effort into a project you think is totally fine and then finding out you were working for Vic Mcnuggets all along. I'd be furious.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Oh look, Grift Mignogna and his cadre of alt-right sycophants have started their own little licensor, with black jack, and hookers. And so far they've licensed properties nobody's heard of or demanded.

I hope these deviants crash and burn. Mignogna is a predator and any VA involved in this should be immediately black listed by the industry, just as he is.

Dude, read Morgan Berry's tweet, it's likely referring the fact that most VAs didn't know who they were working for.

Even if Ms. Berry didn't know Vic was involved, she's still a guest at Anime Matsuri this weekend so she clearly has no issue with the convention or its organizers' terrible history or the fact they are willing to invite Vic as a guest...or she accepted the invite to the con out of complete ignorance and did not cancel her appearance after she found out.

I appreciate the article touching on Vic's history, but wish there was more information presented to readers about Anime Matsuri's troubled history as well as information from the voice actors on their knowledge of the involvement with Vic and/or Anime Matsuri.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Los Nido wrote:
Oh God, please don't tell me weird people harassed and attacked Morgan Berry for working on a show with someone they didn't like and felt entitled for her to justify herself.

Voice actress Monica Rial initially did a callout post when the casting list came out and threatened the people on the list. Perhaps her fanbase harassed the VAs on the list her post but it was the initial callout post that led to Berry making her tweet. Rial has since deleted the Tweet, presumably because it looked super bad and incited harassment towards her peers in the industry. Not sure what will come of this in the future though and if these voice actors are going to be harassed and punished.
macattack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:25 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Los Nido wrote:
Oh God, please don't tell me weird people harassed and attacked Morgan Berry for working on a show with someone they didn't like and felt entitled for her to justify herself.

Voice actress Monica Rial initially did a callout post when the casting list came out and threatened the people on the list. Perhaps her fanbase harassed the VAs on the list her post but it was the initial callout post that led to Berry making her tweet. Rial has since deleted the Tweet, presumably because it looked super bad and incited harassment towards her peers in the industry. Not sure what will come of this in the future though and if these voice actors are going to be harassed and punished.

Yeah I don’t think that was appropriate of Monica at all. An enemies list doesn’t solve the problem. It just exacerbates it and makes the voice acting industry walk on even more eggshells than they already do.

Sean Chiplock came to Morgan Berry’s defense and said something along the lines of “We often don’t know who is in a project and it’s frequently not appropriate to ask. Enforcing a purity test is not only impossible but will make it incredibly difficult to get anything done if we tried.” Basically voice actors can’t control their clients or know if anyone they find unsavory is in the production. They just do their jobs and that’s it.
igiari21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I am going to preface this saying I'm not a fan of Vic (to put it very very very mildly) and I have no allegiance to AnimeMatsuri as I know they are shady.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
igiari21 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that these VAs had no knowledge of Vic's involvement. He's the ADR director. It's not as if an actor never talks to their director in a dub.

Probably they were directed by a proxy director while Vic gave the instructions without being known.

Ex ante they may not know but if these OVAs are just 30 minutes apiece I find it very hard to believe there would be a proxy director. That just doesn't make any monetary sense.

KitKat1721 wrote:

Usually when in doubt, it's a safe bet to not make assumptions until more info is out. Sometime projects are recorded years in advance, and for all we know this could have been in the works in like 2018/early 19 before everything blew up and got put on ice for any number of reasons. Could have been a case of Anime Matsuri hiring both a director and assistant director for the project (the majority of dubs have this in place so more recording can be done simultaneously, to cover for small roles/walla, or as a back-up in case the main director is out). Despite these being very short films, that would work out well for them if they knew certain actors could be less interested in working with a specific director.

All I know is that Anime Matsuri as a company has a proven track record of mishandling at best, shady practices at worst, whether it's small business ventures or how the treat their guests at their convention, especially international guests. So I know who I'm giving my benefit of the doubt to.

While it's certainly possible I don't think this is any less likely than "The VAs involved knew and chose not to back out."

livin_large wrote:
igiari21 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that these VAs had no knowledge of Vic's involvement. He's the ADR director. It's not as if an actor never talks to their director in a dub.

I'm guessing what most likely happened is she accepted the role like any other. Certain grifters and culture warriors who can't get over stuff that happened 3 years ago became aware started hounding them and demanding them to quit or denounce the project and lose out on a job as an act of purity testing to their cause. According to the article only one actor has responded. Either the other actors were spared the harassment or they were smart and chose to ignore them, Some fans.

That timeline doesn't match up. No one knew of the project even existing until a couple weeks ago via posts on Twitter, after the whole thing was finished.

In any case, I find it hard to believe that no one was never aware of Vic's involvement at any point throughout the production. Prior to signing the contract, possibly. I still find that suspect because many of these actors are veterans in the industry and it strikes me as odd they would sign on without knowing who's behind it. Sure, AnimeMatsuri could lie, but that's actual contract fraud. And even then, I just do not believe they were unaware Vic was directing them. If it actually offended them, they could have used aliases to mask their direct involvement.

Ninja:

macattack wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
Los Nido wrote:

Yeah I don’t think that was appropriate of Monica at all. An enemies list doesn’t solve the problem. It just exacerbates it and makes the voice acting industry walk on even more eggshells than they already do.

Sean Chiplock came to Morgan Berry’s defense and said something along the lines of “We often don’t know who is in a project and it’s frequently not appropriate to ask. Enforcing a purity test is not only impossible but will make it incredibly difficult to get anything done if we tried.” Basically voice actors can’t control their clients or know if anyone they find unsavory is in the production. They just do their jobs and that’s it.

From what I understood, Sean was talking about other actors in the project, which is obviously true for anime dubs. But again, I am very skeptical that for a 30 minute OVA none of the VAs were aware Vic was directing them. It's just... Dumb.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Remember the Excalibur face from Soul Eater?

Yeah. I'm making that.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:18 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Voice actress Monica Rial initially did a callout post when the casting list came out and threatened the people on the list.

"Threatened" is a pretty strong word. From what I remember of the post, it was something akin to "I know who not to work with in the future." I don't believe there were any "threats."

PatrickD wrote:

Even if Ms. Berry didn't know Vic was involved, she's still a guest at Anime Matsuri this weekend so she clearly has no issue with the convention or its organizers' terrible history or the fact they are willing to invite Vic as a guest...or she accepted the invite to the con out of complete ignorance and did not cancel her appearance after she found out.

She's attended the con in previous years.

https://animecons.com/guests/bio/5672/morgan-berry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
After reading more posts and seeing more information, I have to say it must be truly horrible to work in the English dubbing industry where you have to constantly walk on eggshells. The industry seems to be filled with super unprofessional and juvenile individuals. It must be horrible having to constantly choose between getting paid that week by taking a role in an anime or going to a convention and risk being backlisted from the industry for upsetting the wrong people or taking the safe route and giving up roles and appearances by choosing not making any money that week and hope it appeases an angry Twitter mob. I don't envy these people at all. I'm just glad this doesn't seem to happen in other language's dubbing industries.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to be excited about Tiffany Vollmer's return to anime dubbing, but yikes. In her case, she may have little-to-no knowledge about Vic's past controversy since she's so far outside the anime dubbing circle. Hopefully she at least turns up in a different, completely unrelated project.

More than anything, I just wish Vic would go away.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:17 am Reply with quote
Dudes will complain about being "cancelled" even while people are licensing entire animes just so they can do voice work in them.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
Credibility34 wrote:
Was Vic Mignogna proven guilty of anything?

Lawsuits don't come with a "guilty" or "not guilty" verdict. Vic was the one who did the suing. The lawsuit was, "Hey, these people lied about me." He was the one who had to prove whether or not they were "guilty" of lying. He was completely and utterly unable to prove that they were lying about anything they said about him. The case was dismissed, and he now owes them hundreds of thousands of dollars for wasting everybody's time and resources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8