• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:31 am Reply with quote
Despite the breakneck pacing and how much content they had to cut, I was pretty satisfied with the finale.

We got a proper confrontation between Aileen and Lilia, the power of love prevailed over all, all the bad guys got their just desserts (and Cedric and Lilia got to attend a wedding in handcuffs before getting shipped off to prison together), and Aileen and Claude get their fairly tale wedding. They wrapped up everything pretty much as well as could be expected, leaving us off on a happy note.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to go ahead and catch up with the novels because I enjoyed this series and Aileen and Claude so much.
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Once again, they completely rushed the ending of this arc. You're right, a lot of details that were in the LN were missing in the anime, such as Serena becoming Aileen's guard, Claude giving Aileen a wedding ring that has enough magic power as 10 Elefases etc. It's also too bad that we didn't get to see Claude and Aileen's first night, because it was really hilarious in the LN!

Dang, I was bummed we didn't get a full kiss, but that sounds like an even bigger loss!
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Too bad they rushed the hell out of that ending.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Yet another anime that really should have been 2 cour. Heck the first arc could have been its own cour alone.

Cedric and Lillia at the wedding in chains got a laugh out of me though. Why would you even invite Lillia to the wedding, let alone chained to her poor ex fiance?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Cedric and Lillia at the wedding in chains got a laugh out of me though. Why would you even invite Lillia to the wedding, let alone chained to her poor ex fiance?

That was such an odd moment. I mean, I guess if your the villainess and you want to absolutely mentally scar your enemy, why not check them out of prison for a day so they can see you get your own happily-ever-after. I haven't re-watched the episode, but I think they were even in the same clothes, so was it like some sort of snap wedding and those two never even made it to jail?

Sadly, like so many stories in general, isekai in particular, this one just never really seemed to capitalize on what was a decent setup. The want for Lilia to be the villain essentially played out exactly like the trope the series seemed intended to subvert, in part because we have zero context to the isekai function of this world.

At no point is it made at all clear why either of them, let alone both, were isekai'd. Them being isekai'd in fact diminishes Lilia as a villain, as it preserves the idea that she is just a deluded fool rather than inherently evil. If this is just all some VR game for example, and she is in the role of the MC, is anything she's done actually wrong? By gaming standards, she's done nothing but play the game. What about their real-world/original lives pushed their personalities in this direction? Was being isekai'd as Aileen kismet, or purpose?

And this does nothing to even touch the questions raised in the review specific to execution not just of the final episode, but the last several episodes. As an anime, this one was watchable, but it wasn't as good as its first couple episodes. Be it pacing or whatever else, it just tripped up and never really got a good footing back.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize this was the last episode till near the end. The pacing was definitely a problem and everything said in the review is correct, but it still worked well enough to wrap the show. Definitely could have used another episode though.

I couldn't help laughing at Cedric and Lilia being handcuffed and chained at the wedding. It's like the budget ran out and they had to just cut and paste them from the earlier scene Laughing That or the wedding happened the same day they were arrested lol.

Next season there's the tsundere villainess, but what's the other villainess show?
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Next season there's the tsundere villainess, but what's the other villainess show?

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Oh, didn't realize that was a villainess show. It's already on my list to check out next season, but interesting to know regardless. Thanks Smile
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:15 am Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

How is this a villainess series? I have read the LN and the only thing it has in common is that one of the female leads gets dumped by her fiance at the beginning. The MC is not even reincarnated into an otome game, but a fantasy world.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:25 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

How is this a villainess series? I have read the LN and the only thing it has in common is that one of the female leads gets dumped by her fiance at the beginning. The MC is not even reincarnated into an otome game, but a fantasy world.

It doesn't have to be an otome game or even a reincarnation tale to be a "villainess series." It just has to play with the tropes. I mean, it literally begins with the Prince of the kingdom and his cronies (the other usual love interests in fantasy otome games) condemning the Prince's fiancé (the Prime Ministers' daughter) at the Academy ball for her "bullying" of the Prince's new love interest, an innocent half-noble girl who has recently entered high society. From there, her entire side of the story is about her trying to figure out what to do now that she's seen as a villainess and is no longer going to be queen--the one goal she's spent her entire life working towards.

...it just happens that the magic-obsessed reincarnator princess is more than happy to be pick what her brother doesn't want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3