• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Handyman Saitō in Another World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 8

Edjwald, I had the same thought as you put in your last spoiler tag... which must mean it's wrong. I kid, I kid! ...

Nope, I was way off. But you know...I'm not sure who could have predicted the way it did turn out...

Maybe this anime is a tad uneven at times as it seesaws between comedy and tragedy, but it definitely has it's own unique vibe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:45 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Maybe this anime is a tad uneven at times as it seesaws between comedy and tragedy, but it definitely has it's own unique vibe.

At worst that sort of thing can come across as tone deaf, and at best can be very good. Isn't there a saying about the difference between tragedy and comedy?

I do think that it is being on the good side. I don't really have the aversion to the comedic tragedy of someone's resurrection spell not working right being their dick was eaten by a demon wolf while they were dead.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:23 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
At worst that sort of thing can come across as tone deaf, and at best can be very good. Isn't there a saying about the difference between tragedy and comedy?.

I know there's a saying that comedy = tragedy + time

And yeah, I think the show falls way over on the right side of enjoyable too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Wow! That was some pretty impressive action and story-telling. This show once again underscores the importance of sampling a title even when it seems to have a janky premise. Now, 99% of the time, you won't get that unexpected gem like Handyman Saito, but damn, is it ever satisfying when you do. Extra bonus: there was no corpse penis eating by a demon dog this time.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I noticed how the action and storytelling went hand in hand too. Everybody dealt with their issues while fighting to the limit. The fairy overcame her greed and sacrificed her money and her magic. Saito started to fall into the I'm-just-unneeded-and-in-the-way mode but turned it around, and he even made up his damn mind about Raelza. Morlock-san managed to be there for his daughter this time around and had a Clint Eastwood moment.. And Raelza just plain kicked serious butt, free from any doubts or hesitations about her feelings. It was pretty damn stirring.

And yah, to the second part of your post too. Of all the non-sequel new shows, Monogatori: Malevolent Spirits, Kaina of the Great Snow Seas, and Handyman Saito are probably my personal favorites, and all three of them are a bit off the beaten path.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
There was even a return to a quick comedy bit like the early episodes used to be filled with: that handy tutorial on how to take down a hellhound by Magical Beast Hunter Liliza.Too bad Raelza couldn't pull that one off...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
Man, talk about getting a far better anime than you initially anticipated. Handyman Saito delivered two big arcs with laughter, drama and solid action and the shorts showed funny bits in a crazy dungeon town. I was amused every episode and liked most of the zany characters. It is now one of my favorite isekai and I did not at all expect it to turn it out that way.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode Finale.

Wow, this one really nailed the landing for its final episode IMHO. The show ended the way it began with a return to the webisode format full on. Lots of quirky humor, easy on the pathos. And it worked. I laughed out loud at least 3 times, and it was nice seeing these characters I've grown to appreciate get some well deserved recognition, reward, closure, potential roads for development, etc.

Even the closing music montage/dance scene was awesome. I like the CGI claymation type closing of the usual episodes, but it was perfect the way the show returned to it at the end. I love the way the top of the dwarf magician's head keeps spinning just barely into view at intervals from the corner as the screen rotates. It's so in keeping with the ongoing "Who Are You Again?" joke that's one of the funniest running background muttering gags since the "Yes, I'm Kazuma" line from Konosuba.

Like the previous poster said/implied, this anime is one of those surprises that bring something original to the party while everyone else is bringing jello and casseroles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I must have rolled my eyes when I first saw the title Handyman Saito in Another World. Gee, a fixer upper guy in a fantasy setting... that'll be gripping stuff, I no doubt snarkily thought. Well, Past Self, guess you aren't so smaht after all, are ya??? Yes, in a season that has often defied Early Expectations, this show became the King of Pleasant Surprises. The only downside is now I will have to sample every dopey titled show that comes down the pipe just in case, "It's another Handyman Saito dealio."

I rated this Good, flirting with Very Good. I can't even quite tell you why I'm not going with VG but there is something that's holding me back. Eh, it might be that the show had a plot point involving an old geezer's corpse wang getting gobbled up by a demon wolf. I tend to ding shows when they put images like that in my brain. Sue me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 am Reply with quote
I would describe my experience somewhat a mix bag, but really most complaints I would make would probably be because it managed to improve itself on so many other things that I would think it is worth pointing out some of the small things.

One particular complaint that I would even say from this last episode, would be when Raelza said that she is too crude or something as a woman, which I find kind of ridiculous. My response was that I wish, because if anything she really came across as too feminine or girly, which the comment can only have me think that this must be some sort of cultural thing that I am underestimating, where they way she acts is meant to be too unfeminine. That or they were too chicken to actually commit to it, like that one Metroid game where they adapted Samus far too girly. Which maybe fits really well in my mind considering my other complain as her relation to her armour.

I also really didn't need Lafanpan falling for him too after growing big. Felt like another bit of being chicken after they explicitly said she felt nothing, with mentioning it might be different if he was an elf. Could be interesting that as a fairy she would have a type, rather than being pulled into main character harem charm thing. That, and as a more western setting than a lot of anime fantasy, she could have been weirder, often such stuff a lot of fun can come from a stranger moral compas.

And falling into that harem thing, I will say one of the jokes that didn't work for me in this final episode was Morlock apparently falling for Saitou because apparently he momentarily turned into a woman when his body went weird. Genderbending stuff can be my jam, but I just am not into it quite being used in that way of sexuality. But I am again making those complaints because I think there were a lot of good parts. For instance I think the one bit of everyone happily killing the manticore despite it looking like Morlock as possibly the funniest joke for me of the show, it worked really well with the plot around saving him, and clearly they would still have frustration with him.

My rating will be Very good (8/10), perhaps I was not as affected by those down sides that Blood- mentioned. I do think that as good as it was, I could kind of hope for something that could be better, that might have had the best parts, without the others that did feel like it threw everything at the wall and saw what stuck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3