• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skip and Loafer (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, Edjwald, Edjwald, Edjwald... I swear if I didn't have to spend so much time educating you, I'd probably rule the world... or something.

To be honest, I kind of figured you were already... or something. And oddly enough, I've never really wanted to know the specific details. Smile

Blood- wrote:
However, where your entire intellectual edifice collapses like an abandoned building primed for demolition is that many types of footwear DO lend themselves to a singular form.

And where your argument shrivels like a stinkbug beneath a magnifying glass is from the very start: by which I mean your original post:

Blood- wrote:
But Loafer? That certainly doesn't describe Mitsuri. Maybe loafer refers to the shoe type that students wear

Now clearly you're not referring to a specific loafer owned by a specific person. You're referring to a shoe type worn by the student body. Your hypothesis seems to be, in fact, that the loafer in the title does not represent Mitsumi's shoe singular, but the type of shoe that is part of the school uniform. Apparently, a school where everyone only has one leg. This is the theory which I found unlikely.

I won't ask you to reflect on your actions. It's completely understandable that you'd want to forget what you wrote as quickly as possible :p

(Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go make some bacon and egg)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:16 pm Reply with quote

*sigh* This is why it's never a good idea to cross verbal swords with a jailhouse lawyer. Okay, yes, I concede that my lack of literary exactitude left me open to exactly the kind of hair-splitting semantics you have so weaselly deployed, HOWEVER, in my defence, I ASSUMED I was dealing with a sufficiently sophisticated audience that would understand that:

loafers = type of shoe -> Mitsuri is an individual, so therefore if you are likening her to a type of shoe OBVIOUSLY it makes sense to use the singular form of that type of shoe, in this case, loafer. MY BAD FOR MAKING SUCH AN ASSUMPTION!!!

Laughing

(Blood- Enterprises wishes to convey that the above was posted in good fun and in no way is meant to represent any actual hostility. Or, at least, very little... not much... okay, a lot.

Laughing
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:07 am Reply with quote
Surely, it’s called Skip and Loafer because in the opening animation Mitsuri is skipping and Shima is wearing loafers! Isn’t it obvious?

Yes, yes I am talking out of my butt.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...*sigh* This is why it's never a good idea to cross verbal swords with a jailhouse lawyer.

Actually, I'd be willing to have the words jailhouse lawyer go under my icon the same way you have the words Bargain Hunter under yours. Either as a warning or just self awareness. How'd you do that?

Blood- wrote:
Okay, yes, I concede...

Heh. Oh, wait....did you still have something less important to say? Wink

Blood- wrote:
my lack of literary exactitude left me open to exactly the kind of hair-splitting semantics you have so weaselly deployed, HOWEVER, in my defence, I ASSUMED I was dealing with a sufficiently sophisticated audience that would understand that:

loafers = type of shoe -> Mitsuri is an individual, so therefore if you are likening her to a type of shoe OBVIOUSLY it makes sense to use the singular form of that type of shoe, in this case, loafer. MY BAD FOR MAKING SUCH AN ASSUMPTION!!!

You mean, like I assumed that no one would think I was unaware that shoes can be used in the singular? There was an old woman, who lived in a shoe. I have a pebble in my shoe. Shoe fly, don't bother me...(<---FYI, I'm aware that shoe would normally be spelled "shoo" there) Little suspecting in my humble innocence that the Yunyun to my Megumin...or would that be the Megamin to my Yunyun...anyway, little suspecting that my self-proclaimed arch-rival would be ready to pounce at the first sign of perceived weakness.

But I'll admit, I just thought it would be a bit odd to use loafer singular to characterize the person or people wearing them. If I were going to give somebody a nickname based on the type of shoe they wear, I wouldn't say, "Hey, Hightop." I'd say, "Hey, Hightops." I just picked Galosh as an example because I thought it would make that point a bit clearer.

And even if that weren't true, I'd still think it was odd to characterize someone by a common, unassuming shoe like a loafer anyhow. It'd be a bit like calling the show Skip and Tee Shirt. But maybe the title is just odd. While I'm admitting things, I'll also admit that I can't think of a more likely possibility at the moment.

(Wonder if I should have said it would be a bit like calling the show Skip and Blue Jean....).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:59 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Yes, yes I am talking out of my butt.

My God, stop that immediately and go to the hospital!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
1) Talking out of your butt probably leads to bad breath

2) If, at some point before the show ends, there is the following exchange:

Sosuke: "Whatever you say, loafer."

Mitsumi: "Loafer? Why are you calling me loafer, Skip?"

Sosuke: "Because you wear loafers and since you're an individual, it makes more sense to call you loafer as opposed to loafers."

Mitsumi: "Ah yes, that makes a lot of sense."

... I will laugh! so! hard!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
2) If, at some point before the show ends, there is the following exchange:

Sosuke: "Whatever you say, loafer."

Mitsumi: "Loafer? Why are you calling me loafer, Skip?"

Sosuke: "Because you wear loafers and since you're an individual, it makes more sense to call you loafer as opposed to loafers."

Mitsumi: "Ah yes, that makes a lot of sense."

... I will laugh! so! hard!

Just don't laugh out of your butt. I have enough nightmare images at the moment. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I went a-surfin' through the Intrawebs earlier - despite having a full life filled with Many, Many Important Things - and gleaned some interesting tidbits.

1) A poster on Reddit claimed they thought the mangaka had said somewhere that the title doesn't actually mean anything, but no citation was provided;

2) Apparently the proper translation from Japanese to English would be Skip to Loafer, not Skip and Loafer;

3) Loafer in its shoe context has been linked to Mitsumi... SO THERE, EDJWALDO!!!

4) There is a school of thought that Skip actually refers to Mitsumi, not Sosuke. The rationale being that due to her bubbly, enthusiastic attitude she tends to "skip" from place to place, If this is true then Sosuke as loafer needs no explanation.

So there ya go... make of it what you will.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
2) Apparently the proper translation from Japanese to English would be Skip to Loafer, not Skip and Loafer

That's definitely wrong. The title in Japanese, "スキップとローファー", definitely translates in English to Skip and Loafer. Sure, if you're writing the Japanese title in Romaji it would read as "Sukippu to Rōfa", with the particle "to" (と) meaning "and" in English.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I went a-surfin' through the Intrawebs earlier - despite having a full life filled with Many, Many Important Things - and gleaned some interesting tidbits..

Of all those possibilities I found the idea that Mitsumi is Skip to be the most convincing, personally. .

Sorry for interrupting your work on your latest light novel project, I Was Sent To Another World After Being Electrocuted By My Whole Room Heater Plus Fan, But How Am I Supposed to Kill the Demon King When My Cheat is the Ability to Turn Into a Hot Tub?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: Drowsy and Peppy

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling that before Rurika was ever implicated in some kind of scandal, she was jealous of Shima and already the kind of person who would drain your energy and self-esteem just by being in the room...,it's not like she was in this episode for more than a second and a half thought balloon...

Anyhow, based on the reaction of Shima's mom and all the foreshadowing around Rurika, plus the fact that we don't have too many episodes left, I'd say some crap is going to be hitting the fan. The question is, is it a modicum of crap, or is it a $h!+storm?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:38 am Reply with quote
I think it'll just be a modicum of crap, like Shima admitting that he's a cross-dressing serial killer or something. You know... no biggie.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Did you ever see that anime, School Days?

Anyway, I was more wondering if Shima's mom was going to try to forbid him to be in the play, or if she was going to contact acting agencies or reporters.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: Scrambling and Dripping

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4