• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La Frontier (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:01 am Reply with quote
I was getting a rivals vibe more than a friends vibe. Maybe the blonde is the mutual friend and they're the two sort of friends or frenemies who quarrel all the time? Like Laurie and Ellie on Cougar Town. Anyone? Anyone? Aw, c'mon, the same guy wrote Scrubs and Community and Rick and Morty!!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was a lot of fun! Six episodes in and I'm still watching each episode back to back without any impatience or boredom. The way the show slides from crazy fight scenes to character interactions that are quirky and fun even if there's not much in the way of development is awesome. The imaginative setting that keeps throwing in additional wrinkles and wrenches with a garnish of mystery is the cherry on top.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
It is always a good sign when an episode feels very short and every week with this anime feels like it only lasts a few minutes. Be it the background information on the loot and plunder MMO or all the fighting going on, this week had no moment that was not interesting or exciting. As for the fights: it seems like the PK players are about to bite the dust between a creepy looking hand and the crazy powerful Psyger. It does seem time for Sunraku to bolt back to rabbit land though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So female Stan and MC have finally met up and it's pretty timely for him. I just hope there isn't going to be some dumb misunderstanding where he thinks she's a threat or something. And boy the show is really enjoying dragging out getting to his journey to Rabbit Palace.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:32 am Reply with quote
The ambush situation was resolved pretty early on in the episode this week. All PKs bit the dust and the shaman sacrificed herself to make her target die. We also finally got a start of the rabbitland event and it is not an easy one. I liked seeing the compilation of the different beasties Sunraku faced, especially the toxic poop bird that is a horrible enemy to face without ranged attacks. As for the wood magician at the end, even with crazy speed it seems nearly impossible to slay or avoid for 5 minutes.

We also had some background behind Rei's romance this week, her impression of things might be a bit different from reality.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
It occurred to me while watching this episode that NPCs might not be resurrect-enabled in the game. If that's the case, Animalia's (?) decision to sacrifice herself to save a one of a kind cute talking bunny NPC might make sense, and not just be 100 percent gamer freak fetish in action.

Rei's adorbs crush started to drift into stalker territory this episode. It's still cute, but I'm starting to get worried that in a few episodes, we'll have worked up to a scene where she steals his underwear out of his gym locker and wears it like a snorkel mask.

I thought the bird with the acid poop was pretty funny.

And I'm a little interested in Pencil-san's motives for assembling an alliance of trash gamers. Considering her intro where she took over an entire game and became its unintended final boss, it's clear that she likes to come up with unorthodox scenarios and goals.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, that sure was an intense (not) 5 minutes Sunraku had to survive. The combination of really good animation, accompanying music and Sunraku's comments really made it one hell of an action sequence. The reward for all that action was a bit meh though, even if there is a vague follow up quest.

There was also a rather unique new outfit and the return of the heavily armored stalker. I am glad that Sunraku chose the first out of three possible areas to explore, it sounds like the most interesting one.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 08

I feel like that honorary Bunny title Sunraku earned is gonna' come in real handy down the road. But yeah, for all that dodging and surviving he did on the last trial, the reward seems a bit anticlimactic on the surface. And then Vash killed that tree monster like it was nothing. I guess that says a lot about how strong he is.

I'm really liking the supporting cast. Although, I'm wondering if they'll sprinkle a little more real-world interaction with some of the players to give the show some variety. The rom-com elements are actually quite funny given the circumstances of the gaming stuff.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:31 am Reply with quote
I agree with Smokey that the fight scenes are pretty much impeccable. Otherwise - and this is sincere admiration, not a backhanded compliment - this series would be intolerable given how much of it is spent clashing. Instead, I look forward to it every week and watch it flash by in a happy daze.

I like the supporting cast too.

Looking forward to the meeting of trash gamer titans in some other game world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one who initially misread the name of the Fellfate Caldera? Embarassed

I am still loving the town names though: Firstia, Secondil, Thirdrema, Fourfolkshire, Fivelle, Sixenveldt... Also delighted to have Medjed make a surprise appearance.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was I the only one who initially misread the name of the Fellfate Caldera? Embarassed .

Welp, my brain hadn't gone there, but now I'm going to think about it every time I read it.

Fellfart Caldera. Heh.

(Innocent until proven guilty)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
Not how I misread it. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Paging Ms. Szanboti, paging Ms. Szanboti...

...the gutter called and would like you to get your mind out of it...

Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:31 am Reply with quote
Geez, talk about the pot calling the kettle a three-lettered metal container for boiling water that's also a euphemism for marijuana Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so that's where it ended up! Always the last place you look...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10