• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Spring 2024 Daily Streaming Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
My watch list for the season

Dub
-------

A Condition Called Love
The Archdemon's Dilemma
Date A Live V
Kaiju No. 8
Konosuba 3
Laid-Back Camp 3
Spice and Wolf: Merchant meets the Wise Wolf

No Dub
------------
A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics
The iDOLM@STER: Shiny Colors
Train to the End of the World
Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night
Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:51 pm Reply with quote
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:
I'm honestly surprised Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc got voted in. I don't expect the structural/pacing problems with the anime to change this season, so I expect having it reviewed here is just going to result in the same cycle of James Beckett pointing out these issues and people getting mad at him for it.

It's still Demon Slayer, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) franchises of the past decade. With shows of that magnitude, how much or little there is to write about each episode is irrelevant when it comes to them being voted in for weekly coverage. (See One Piece.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm honestly surprised Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc got voted in. I don't expect the structural/pacing problems with the anime to change this season, so I expect having it reviewed here is just going to result in the same cycle of James Beckett pointing out these issues and people getting mad at him for it.

Yeah, this feels like an unfortunate use of James' time. Hopefully his sanity endures.

Tonari no Youkai-san will heal his poor brain.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:02 pm Reply with quote

I kinda feel like I'm obligated to see it through to the end, but it's always nice to see James backing up my own impressions.

Pleased to see most of my favourites from the premiers made the reviews.

Archdemons dilemma probably isn't going to be great, but it's kinda fun, so that would have been nice. And it's always fun to get some forum discussions going on one of the car crashes and it seems we're missing most of those... Though Mushoku is always good for some heated forum debates, and from the start this season I don't think that's going to change. Eww Rudeus, just eww.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So in all, of the 44 series in the Preview Guide, 25 failed to make the cut:

1. A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics
  2. An Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Elf Bride
  3. As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill
  4. Astro Note
  5. Bartender Glass of God
  6. Chillin' in Another World With Level 2 Super Cheat Powers
  7. Gods' Games We Play
  8. Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again
  9. Highspeed Étoile
  10. I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince
  11. Oblivion Battery
  12. RE:MONSTER
  13. Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included
  14. THE iDOLM@STER SHINY COLORS
  15. Tadaima, Okaeri
  16. The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases
  17. The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3
  18. The Fable
  19. The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3
  20. The Misfit of Demon King Academy II Part 2
  21. The New Gate
  22. Tonbo!
  23. Vampire Dormitory
  24. Viral Hit
  25. YATAGARASU: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master

Of these, the ones with the most members currently listed on MAL are:

1. 124K -- The Misfit of Demon King Academy II Part 2
  2. 81K -- The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3
  3. 66K -- An Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Elf Bride
  4. 65K -- Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again
  5. 65K -- I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince

(Date A Live V would be at #3, with 79K.)

Of the series that did make the cut here, the least popular ones on MAL are:

1. 12K -- Tonari no Yōkai-san
  2. 29K -- The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio
  3. 30K -- Train to the End of the World
  4. 39K -- Mysterious Disappearances
  5. 44K -- Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night

And once the Your Anime Rankings charts start, we'll be able to see what the second tier is, the shows that weren't popular enough to get reviews but still get enough votes to be scored on the charts.

(Six shows that are getting reviews weren't in the preview guide, because they're continuing series or haven't premiered yet: Sand Land, Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia, Ninja Kamui, One Piece, and Delicious in Dungeon.)
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
[summary of results]

I really appreciate this! Nice to see the poll results laid out like this.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Pity that Urusei Yatsura season 2's second and final cour didn't make it just like season 1's second cour last year here on ANN. Just shows that Urusei Yatsura remake is unpopular outside Japan, mainly in Western countries. I think Urusei Yatsura remake is an underrated anime, I find it pity that ANN will skip weekly episode reviews of Urusei Yatsura's second cour despite that the second cour is the last 4 out of 4 cours and will conclude the anime remake.
Terraziel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Between Misfit and Irregular, I'm more surprised that Irregular didn't get enough votes, the last chunk of Misfit was just out right Bad.

That aside, none of things i voted for got reviews, but I only vote for things I'm not going to watch myself so that's not much of a surprise.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Pity that Urusei Yatsura season 2's second and final cour didn't make it just like season 1's second cour last year here on ANN. Just shows that Urusei Yatsura remake is unpopular outside Japan, mainly in Western countries. I think Urusei Yatsura remake is an underrated anime, I find it pity that ANN will skip weekly episode reviews of Urusei Yatsura's second cour despite that the second cour is the last 4 out of 4 cours and will conclude the anime remake.

It's always annoying when series that been reviewed almost to completion are dropped unceremoniously based on a poll. It's different for stuff like Digimon Adventure: where the reviewer(I forget who was covering it at this point) honestly got bored with the shitty pacing and subpar plot. In Urusei Yatsura's case, the reviews have seemed like the reviewer has been more or less enjoying the ride.

I don't think anything I'm watching this season is being reviewed, so it's going to be light reading for me.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
And so the quixotic quest for weekly Precure reviews will continue for at least one more season. We'll get that windmill someday.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little sad but not that surprised Tadaima, Okaeri didn't make the cut but besides that and Yotagarasu, most everything I'm watching this season made it in. This feels like a lighter spring season in general especially coming after a pretty strong winter but there's just enough to keep me interested. I'm especially glad Tonari no Yokai-san and Wind Breaker made it as those have been my favorites so far.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy... Another set of Demon Slayer weekly reviews by James Beckett. I can somehow already imagine the words being typed down for the first episode.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a lot of what I was interested in for has been picked up.

Key wrote:
I am mildly surprised that both Mission: Yozakura Family and Mysterious Disappearances made the cut and Salad Bowl of Eccentrics (which had a relatively high Community score) didn't, but not in the slightest surprised that Spice & Wolf was the top vote-getter.
I am a little disappointed, but not at all surprised, that An Archdemon's Dilemma didn't make the cut.

I surprised by Mysterious Disappearances as well along with Unnamed Memory. Not sure how popular it is, but I figured Yozakura would be picked up being a Shonen Jump title that has been running for a while now and had a good premier (imo).

Disappointed that Salad Bowl wasn't picked up as I thought the 2nd episode was even better than the first, but being a comedy it doesn't really need reviews.
Also would have liked to have seen Yatagarasu, Fable, Aristocrat Appraisal Skill and Elf Bride.

Not too surprising that UY is getting dropped as there's only so much I think you can say about it each week and personally I've found the most recent season to be weaker than the rest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Ninja Kamui is on the list, as I think there are only two more episodes to go. It should've just been a continuation to the end. Maybe Jairus can pick up Yatagarasu when it's done. >;>

Also sad to see Duke of Death and His Maid drop off. It's such a good series and all the questions are already starting to be answered in its final season.

Surprised that Sand Land made the cut. It doesn't look like anyone even knows it's airing, based on the replies to the current reviews. I'm still catching up on it, but the first 7 episodes were terrific and this new arc looks promising, though maybe not quite up to the heights set by the opening bunch. (Btw, someone needs to consolidate the review for eps 1-7 with the reviews for 8-10, since you currently have to search out one or the other rather than having them all together.)

Otherwise, while there are a handful of series I'd be happy to see reviews for, I'm not too disappointed in the outcome. It's a good selection, for a season that doesn't look to be quite as strong as the last couple (at least to my tastes, judging by the reduction by nearly 1/3 in series I'm following now).
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
... a season that doesn't look to be quite as strong as the last couple (at least to my tastes, judging by the reduction by nearly 1/3 in series I'm following now).
Yeah, it was hard to gather enough interest to even try to do the "troll vote" for Viral Hit or Chillin' Yada-Yada-Yada. Most shows this season either aren't my type or seem so "mid" that I left it to the rest of y'all to pick some randos and see if the reviews reveal anything interesting...Train to the Weird was mildly interesting and Mushoku Tensei was the only legit one of the bunch...Even Konosuba seemed to be off it's game...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4