• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: Emergency Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
spoiler[And I was actually a bit confused as to why the movie got rid of the protective barrier that Voldemort used on his snake in the book, since it only makes sense that he'd want to preserve a part of his soul as best he can.]

But it was still protected. No spells could touch it during the movie.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
RE: Overpriced back-stock

If the DVDs are too costly for you, track down the VHS. Here's a relevant story to back up my statement:

Recently, I've been feeling the urge to own the Gunsmith Cats OVA. I live in Canada, so ordering from the Amazon.com marketplace has certain roadblocks in my way (ridiculously inflated shipping just because I'm in Canada, certain sellers won't sell to anyone outside the US), and the cheapest I could get it for on any format was over $25 for a DVD without the case. The lowest I could get from Amazon.ca was double the price.

Meanwhile, eBay had some VHS copies that I could snag for a grand total of $10. Now way I could turn that down.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
staab99 wrote:
I think anime fans now tend to forget that people used to pay for more back then. I remember becoming a major fan in the late 90's early 00's and i barely saw anime in stores. In high school i remember paying 20-30 bucks for a single volume of a tv show. People used to rely on bootleg in order to get the complete show at a low price (i used to have Trigun 3 disk set and paid 40 bucks for it). Nowadays most companies released this at a valuable price. I wonder if bootlegs are still around? Confused

That is pretty typical, as things improve for one side then those people tend to feel more entitled. Once you give it's hard to get it back, and the more the receivers tend to want more. So yeah, bootlegs are still all over, particularly if you show on EBay or Amazons Marketplace; people are always looking for the ever cheaper source. Of course, now instead of anime fans selling bootlegs of rare shows that they made themselves, it's Chinese bootleggers mass-producing crap releases with bad subs of common shows to sell for near nothing. So the bootlegs of old are long gone, but they were just replaced with a different sort.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arsenette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm either old or a weirdo.. but although the pricing way back when for single tapes were nuts I refused to buy it.. but I was not even a bootlegger either. I knew even back then (or should I say especially since I was a film major at the time.. LOL) that it wouldn't help the market no matter how much they tried to justify it.. These day I do a price per episode comparison. I love anime.. I would say over 80% of all my legit DVD collection is anime or animated in some way. Even when people come over they go "do you like movies at all?" since I don't have a lot of the "hit" movies or anything like that. I buy what I plan to rewatch (I'm also one of those that will burn a series out watching it daily then shelve it and come back to it a year later and burn it out again. ). I don't buy stuff to "save the industry" either. Lord knows I won't pay for a lot of the old stuff I couldn't afford back then either... If it comes out in save edition or veridion.. something compiled and reasonable.. I'd buy it in a heartbeat... but as much as I love Nana.. I cannot justify paying almost 3 times the price per episode than something like Azumanga Daioh (yes I know.. not even the same genre). I abuse the hell out of sales like when Barnes and Noble online has a buy 2 get 1 free DVD and use gift cards like it's going out of style. That's the only way I can afford these things either.. but I refuse to pay for overpriced stuff.. even like FLCL.. it's 6 episodes.. why does that go for more than an entire Save edition of a 26 episode series? wtf.. I gave out hope for ever affording El Hazard Magnificent World.. I use my kidneys thanks Smile
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
About FMA: My original problem with the original anime is when Wrath was introduced, there started to be odd scientific loopholes and stuff that didn't make any sense to me. spoiler[Just because he had Ed's arm and leg did not mean it made sense that he could do the same alchemy, and if he was able to to alchemy because he had Ed's arm and leg, he should have still had some other form of homunculi ability, like the others. Also, how were there only 7 homunculi if Homunculi were created by trying to resurrect a dead person? Even if the topic was taboo, there still should have been a ton of those things around if that were the case.] These little plot holes really bothered me the first time I saw it, and when I tried re-watching the first anime recently, I realized there was a LOT of filler in between episodes.

Wrath did spoiler[have a homunculi ability, he was able to combine with objects (it was only used a few times). The manga also makes a big deal about how very few alchemist can actually preform human transmutation. It's also mentioned that the names of homunculus are just codenames and they where previous homunculus (Greed mentions that there was a previous Lust)]

For me the problem was more with the Gate, and how the gate changes from what it was in the manga and the first half of the anime to something completely different. In the first half of the anime spoiler[when you preform human transmutation you create a homunculus and are sent to the Gate which takes a body part as punishment for the arrogance of the alchemist. Then all of a sudden the thing turns into a dimensional portal to Earth with the explanation that alchemy is created by the souls of the dead of our Earth without an explanation of why there's not alchemy in our world]
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
As someone who is a collector, OOP stuff and prices are old hat to me. OOP stuff for me is probably 90% fair to low price for whatever and 10% is the crazy expensive singles or complete set. Sure older stuff is going to have an inflated value simply because of its age, but some secondary sellers are always going to be out to bill you out of your money. If you take the time to search for the best deal you'll come out on top.

And besides, part of collecting is bragging about the size/cost of your collection, so if you nab Dunbine 12 for 50 bucks you can wave if in all of our faces as we quietly seethe and wish horrible things upon you. Then I get Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Vol 4 for twenty bucks and the whole process continues.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Elderwand, One who desired power, Voldedmort.

Resurrection stone, One who died for love, Snape.

Invisibility cloak, One who greeted death like an old friend, Harry.

That's the importance of the Hallows.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Regarding manga volumes out of print on Rightstuf/Amazon, what I do is search in a wider range. There's lots more websites that sell manga online, and you can usually find any volume in some punky small store via Google Shopping's aggregation or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3