• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Manga Sales Fell 15% in 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad I grew up in a time anime/manga was at its highest in America. Even when things were more pure, and stuff was so mainstream you couldn't get away from it. Last time ICv2 reported this, the popularity and sales of anime were clinging to Dragon Ball Z, which apparently was still the highest-selling anime at the time, dwarfing One Piece, Death Note, Pokemon and Naruto. With the resurgence of DBZ with Kai, I wouldn't be surprised if that was still the case now.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I would be saving up for manga to buy if I wasn't saving up for a PS3, and because of that, I haven't bought manga since last year.
RandomThoughts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
What surprises me is that no one here (or in the article) has talked about something that has a major and direct impact on sales. Namely, the amount of manga that is actually out there for sale.

How many manga companies have gone out of business in the past two or three years? We're down to a few core companies who are being very careful and deliberate in what they release.

I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I can indulge my habit, but I've gone from spending about $100 a week (at Borders) at the height of the anime/manga boom to spending, in a good month, about $250. Not because I don't want to buy it, but because the release schedule has changed so drastically.

It's a big part of why digital sales are on the rise, too. The companies releasing digital tend to release different titles online than in print. If you want choice and you want to support the mangaka, sometimes digital is your only choice.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
They raise prices to combat the drop in people buying it.

Well thats a stupid idea. "We're loosing monies to these free scanlation sites.......I know, let's raise the prices!! That will work!!"

This is one reason why i've dumped a few titles. Raise the price, I don't buy anymore and sell the volumes I have on eBay.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Well thats a stupid idea. "We're loosing monies to these free scanlation sites.......I know, let's raise the prices!! That will work!!"

This is one reason why i've dumped a few titles. Raise the price, I don't buy anymore and sell the volumes I have on eBay.

No, it's basic economic sense, supply & demand, and it's taught in High School Economics classes.
When you have a whole bunch of people buying a certain title, you can afford to lower the price a bit, the number of sales make up for it. But when less people buy, the price has to go up.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

No, it's basic economic sense, supply & demand, and it's taught in High School Economics classes.
When you have a whole bunch of people buying a certain title, you can afford to lower the price a bit, the number of sales make up for it. But when less people buy, the price has to go up.

Kind of a self-defeating idea in a sense as well. Cutting off the foot when you need it the most.....
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Kind of a self-defeating idea in a sense as well. Cutting off the foot when you need it the most.....

Did you take an Economics class? I'm assuming not, so here's a basic recap: If demand is falling, you need to cut back on amount produced, but the cost of production per each item is the same if not more (because when you start producing on larger scales, you can often buy in bigger bulk), and the cost of shipping, marketing, all the other incidentals are still there, except now it costs more per unit. So you have to raise the price of product.

So yeah, you need to raise the price if you are going to make a profit. It is just plain stupid to respond to a drop in demand by charging the same amount, or even as it is implicit in your responses, drop the price.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Did you take an Economics class?

Yes I did.....and found out that much of the stuff in those books pretty much are bull**** once applied to real life scenarios.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Yes I did.....and found out that much of the stuff in those books pretty much are bull**** once applied to real life scenarios.

That's why we're even in a recession in the first place. Economics is largely bull****.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

That's why we're even in a recession in the first place. Economics is largely bull****.

Yeah it is, Economics is pretty much speculation mixed with people not knowing what they are doing half the time. Things like basic principals about how profit per unit works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3