• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Domestic/Int'l Animation Market in Japan Grew 5.8% in '10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't these figures include box-office ticket receipts as well as releases on optical disc? If so, they're pretty meaningless, especially when trying to determine trends in the market for late-night televised shows.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Except a couple thousand yen per volume isn't an anime only thing. That's the price point of video releases in Japan, period.

Transformers 2 BD for 2k yen (150 minutes running time)

Madoka Magica vol. 1 BD for 5k (60 minutes running time)

Not quite. Well, you're right that "a couple thousand yen" is the norm for a non-anime video release in Japan. However, anime is obviously much, much higher. Especially if you compare the price relative to running time.

I hoped that domestic goods could have gone unsaid and I did limit my expression to recent releases. So yeah, if you are cherry-picking through Amazon JP's 2 for 3000 yen bargain bin then I do doubt there will be many anime volumes there.(OFC shopping in the 2for3k section assures that no 5 will add up to 30k. YAY for selection bias!)

As for anime being "much, much higher" in price. I am looking over prices for some new releases(live action movies, TV Drama, and anime) and don't see the price range for anime being much, much higher. I guess it just depends on how well you look.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to find TF3 on Amazon cause I knew it's coming out soon (or is already out) here in the States. Seems to not be on Amazon.jp yet though. If you want to show me a recent (even though the MSRP as stated on the link is 3000 yen, and that does not change) live-action movie release then by all means, go ahead.

Just talking without any evidence to back up your claims though is worthless.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well you are on AmazonJP and there is a section for new releases and there are examples there. My claim doesn't need specific examples because it is completely observable for anyone by just looking up prices for domestic video releases.

Anyway here's a link that only has Japanese live action films. For some reason their DVD also has BDs but the list prices for new live action BDs look about the same for new anime BDs. Sure there are exceptions, there's always going to be exceptions, it just doesn't look like anime is "much, much higher" priced than other similar domestic goods.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, alright. Going from "non-anime" to "domestic". I see your point.

So looking at those I'd say the average domestic BD release of a live-action movie in Japan is 4-6k MSRP for an average run-time of 120 minutes.

Looking at this I would say that the average TV anime BD release is ~7k MSRP for an average run-time of 2-3 episodes (48-72 minutes).

Which means that if you wanted to get the same runtime as you would with an average domestic movie release in Japan, you would need to spend around 12-18k yen MSRP, quite a bit more I would say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3