• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Gundam 0080

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be the lone dissenter I guess and say I HATE 0080, possibly as much as most any other anime. I can agree and concede that it is possibly the most "realisitc" (at least as far as a mecha anime can go) depiction of war and it's effects, but that's also a reason that I hate it. The ending IS brutal. If you want a show with a "message" or something that makes you wax philosophical about the nature and effects of war and conflict, then enjoy "War in the Pocket". Otherwise be ready for a short anime that kicks you in the ***** and leaves you laying there wondering "what was the POINT?" (which in it's own way IS the point of this anime)
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
/rant

To those who like candy coated stories that have no blood and guts realistic portrayal of believeable characters amidst loss of innocence (No getting to go on a date is not earth shattering people... Grow up) this story will not be for you.

Gundam 0080 takes a side of storytelling that just resonates with a person, even for life. Tomino's original message of 'War is Hell and in War there are no Winners; only people who suffer on both sides' is taken to the next step here. Your mother, your best friend, that kid thats sits across from you in High School could all DIE if War breaks out. This is reality and people that are entertaining themselves often don't want to cope with this reality.

This anime is from a time period (early 90's) right before the start of the millenium crapfest of anime that has been so superficial it makes my head spin (There have been exceptions, Thank you Death Note for resurrecting the concept of thinking while watching anime). Of course if you've been watching shows like Girls Bravo or your typical one dimensional shounen fair (that is without realizing it's a guilty pleasure and intentionally watching it just because it's fun and mindless) your not going to really get the depth of the humanity of 0080 (Or true Tomino Gundam for that matter) without a little help.

If the first thing out of your mouth when Gundam is uttered is "Oh I LOVED Gundam Wing/SEED!" Unfortunately you probably missed the point (Which to be fair both of those series have emotional resonance with loss and the effects of war but noone ever pays attention to that over the Bishounens >_>).

/end rant

Disclaimer: All of the above is the sole opinion of Saphiro01 and does not reflect on the lovely article that I am responding to.. Simply the multitude of anime fans that miss the point of real storytelling and not realizing there is a lot of crap mixed in with our favorite pasttime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Although it is true his core concepts are often lost to the tides of new and exciting story ideas (especially the Newtype concept - the evolution of man, which loses all focus and meaning down the line in the Universal Century era productions),...

His characters are strong, even though some of this utilizations of them aren't.

But that's the thing. Nobody here is saying he has bad ideas, but that his execution is iffy. The themes he wants to present and the characters he comes up with are all (mostly) incredible, but as you say yourself, the way he utlizes these ideas in his stories makes them suffer.

Only because he's a little uneven at times. And yet, you still call him a "hack", even though a hack wouldn't be able to do the things you admit he's worth praising for.

Tomino is every bit the creative genius that Oshii or Miyazaki is. The drama he's able to render from simple scenes such as Amuro meeting Char and Lalah outside of battle when getting his car stuck in mud, or Kamille's interaction with Sara in Armstrong Park, or Elle's promise to Judau in the desert, or any number of simple character moments is still impressive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
abruli wrote:
Alfred's voice is like someone scraping the blackboard with fingernails or sharp metallic instruments. It is so horrible that for me it took away a large chunk of the enjoyability of the show.

Omigodthankyou.

No matter the language I chose, listening to Alfred made me want to throw things at my TV. I tried to enjoy 0080 in spite of him though. It was a struggle, let me tell you, but I managed. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'd want to have a complete 180º done to the kid's personality. Cold, detached pre-teen? No thanks. Been there, done that, quite sick of it. Just a little less whine is all I wanted.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
abruli wrote:
Alfred's voice is like someone scraping the blackboard with fingernails or sharp metallic instruments. It is so horrible that for me it took away a large chunk of the enjoyability of the show.

Omigodthankyou.

No matter the language I chose, listening to Alfred made me want to throw things at my TV. I tried to enjoy 0080 in spite of him though. It was a struggle, let me tell you, but I managed. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'd want to have a complete 180º done to the kid's personality. Cold, detached pre-teen? No thanks. Been there, done that, quite sick of it. Just a little less whine is all I wanted.

Huh? Al isn't cold or detatched. In fact, he's very warm and upbeat, to a fault. The only people he has trouble with are his seperated parents, like a normal little kid would. He's certainly not locking himself up in his house working on machinery like Amuro Ray or throwing fits like Kamille Bidan or Shinn Asuka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:

This anime is from a time period (early 90's) right before the start of the millenium crapfest of anime that has been so superficial it makes my head spin

It actually came out in 1989. This might sound minor but it was pivotal since it was the first Gundam series that didn't feature any characters from First Gundam. I feel that it really paved the way (better and worse) for F-91, and Victory in the early 90s since Tomino felt that he could continue Gundam without Amuro, Char or even Bright. It also paved the way for the second OVA series 0083 (which did far better than 0080 in sales) which also didn't have much Tomino input. I think that it's lukewarm sales sadly enough forced the franchise to go ultra conventional (the early 90s Gundam series) in it's approach to sequels until G Gundam.

I still think that Gundam really needs to take a different angle. There seems to be an abundance of Kondo styled military Gundam manga out there, but a lack of this stuff (asides a bit of it in 08th) in anime form. I would love to see gritty trench and tank warfare during the OYW. I almost bought Igloo a few months ago, but decided to wait (bought the Zeta films instead) since BVUSA recently announced the title. Maybe they Sunrise should hire Ryousuke Takahashi to direct a Gundam OYW series.

Yet another wacky idea of mine would be to have a peacetime Gundam UC series. I wouldn't think this would be possible if it were not for how well Macross Plus pulled it off. It would be great to have a Gundam series which wasn't concerned about MS battles every episode and would focus more on the lives of the "Top Gun" test pilots. Just because there isn't an open war doesn't mean that there wouldn't be political tension as well. Perhaps UC 0091 (give or take a year) would be perfect for this since it could cover the events leading up to 0093 much like 0083 leads up to Zeta.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:

I've never felt compelled by a Gundam series. I really wanted to, but I could never find myself enjoying one for more than a few minutes at a time. I tried Zeta, I tried original, and god help me, I even tried Gundam Wing.

If you wanna know, in Latin America, Gundam Wing bombed BIG TIME here and I'm talking about GUNDAM WING for god' sake! Many people here think that Gundam Wing is really boring as hell. In fact almost any mecha series that was broadcasted in Latin America was a failure (Gundam Wing, Sakura Wars, Vandread, Escaflowne, etc, etc) with the only exceptions of Evangelion or Mazinger Z
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
For those who like Tomino's series for what it did in it's time you may also want to check out his three novels that retell the original story.

They are available in English as one trade paperback.

http://www.stonebridge.com/GUNDAM/gundam.html
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I noticed it's the new anime-snob trend to trash Tomino. I like 0080, but writing off Zeta Gundam or any of Tomino's other great works is pure lunacy. Next you'll be telling me the Godfather was a mediocre, unrealistic gangster movie that makes no sense. Rolling Eyes
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Yeah, I noticed it's the new anime-snob trend to trash Tomino. I like 0080, but writing off Zeta Gundam or any of Tomino's other great works is pure lunacy.

Fanboys are so amusing.

There was a fair amount of hype generated around Space Runaway Ideon as it was being fansubbed. So, I sit down to watch it, expecting to be blown away by the greatest influence of Evangelion. The only thing I got were a bunch of shallow characters that went through the same episode structure continuously with no variation. There was also some issues with simple, solid direction.

Just because someone is coveted doesn't mean that they're infallible (lawd knows I'm a heretic for not lovin' Leiji Matsumoto).

Oh, and great column as always, Justin. Since Gundam 0080 is quite cheap and it's also written by the same screenwriter from The Wings of Honneamise, I'm definitely picking it up.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a fair amount of hype generated around Space Runaway Ideon as it was being fansubbed. So, I sit down to watch it, expecting to be blown away by the greatest influence of Evangelion. The only thing I got were a bunch of shallow characters that went through the same episode structure continuously with no variation. There was also some issues with simple, solid direction.

Are you sure you weren't watching Evangelion instead? This is what annoys me about today's anime snobs, they crucify people like Tomino for not being perfect, while their own shows that were offspringed from it couldn't be more flawed. I think it has to do with the fact that whatever is old and has a legendary reputation must be trashed for some reason. Everything that is new and flawed of course gets a pass as long as it has a few redeeming qualities, but no Tomino must be held to some kind of godly standards and everything that he contributed with his great characters, concepts, storylines, and innovations must be written off so we can feel that our taste in anime is exquisite. Maybe you just don't like Tomino becuase his style of anime isn't to your liking? Sorta similar to how I can't stand Anno's, and I will never enjoy Evangelion to the day I die.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Are you sure you weren't watching Evangelion instead?

Honestly, I prefer Gatsu's attempts at Eva-bashing.

Quote:
This is what annoys me about today's anime snobs, they crucify people like Tomino for not being perfect, while their own shows that were offspringed from it couldn't be more flawed.

I'm getting a vibe of irony here.

Quote:
I think it has to do with the fact that whatever is old and has a legendary reputation must be trashed for some reason.

Hell no it doesn't, at least not for me. Some of my favorite anime are of the old and legendary status that you describe. It's just that I simply cannot begin to fathom how people could appreciate Tomino as a director, above all else, assuming that Ideon is any indication.

Quote:
Maybe you just don't like Tomino becuase his style of anime isn't to your liking?

The "different strokes, different folks" card? Yeah, if you want to call it that, I guess.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Huh? Al isn't cold or detatched. In fact, he's very warm and upbeat, to a fault.

penguintruth
, that's not what I meant at all.

I didn't enjoy listening to Al a good portion of the time. However, I still enjoyed parts of the series despite this. Yet, in my previous post, I wanted to point out that just because I didn't enjoy Al's occasional whiny-ness (or him just being a kid), I didn't want some readers to jump to the conclusion that I would want Al to have his personality reversed (i.e. 180º) to the cold, detached pre-teen we see a lot of in action, robot shows.

I hope this makes my earlier point a little clearer. I'm not sure what word I misused or what I mis-typed to lead you to believe it was the opposite. It's the INTERNETS, it happens. *shrug*
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Huh? Al isn't cold or detatched. In fact, he's very warm and upbeat, to a fault.

penguintruth
, that's not what I meant at all.

I didn't enjoy listening to Al a good portion of the time. However, I still enjoyed parts of the series despite this. Yet, in my previous post, I wanted to point out that just because I didn't enjoy Al's occasional whiny-ness (or him just being a kid), I didn't want some readers to jump to the conclusion that I would want Al to have his personality reversed (i.e. 180º) to the cold, detached pre-teen we see a lot of in action, robot shows.

I hope this makes my earlier point a little clearer. I'm not sure what word I misused or what I mis-typed to lead you to believe it was the opposite. It's the INTERNETS, it happens. *shrug*

Heh, sorry about that.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
But overall I like Tomino's stuff(I might be one of the only BRAIN POWERD fans in the world)--he's one of the few anime directors(along with Hideaki Anno and Akiyuki Shinbo) whose works I actively seek out.

I only knew Akiyuki Shinbo by name after I'd watched two of his TV series (Metal Fighter Miku and Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko). It's interesting to compare his episode of Devil Hunter Yohko and Yamamoto Yohko TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4