• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ready to Rumble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh, and he also revealed that Funimation was unable to get the rights for the Beatles song at the end of the series

What!?
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh, and he also revealed that Funimation was unable to get the rights for the Beatles song at the end of the series

Whyyyy!? Noooooo~! It was such a nice song, too... Anime cry

Copyright issues; it was the Beatles, a lot more legal loops to jump through. They tried as best they could and, as I said before, some even offered to work for free, but Sony (the copyright holders) just wouldn't budge. It's truly unfortunate.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Whyyyy!? Noooooo~! It was such a nice song, too... Anime cry

Copyright issues; it was the Beatles, a lot more legal loops to jump through. They tried as best they could and, as I said before, some even offered to work for free, but Sony (the copyright holders) just wouldn't budge. It's truly unfortunate.

By copyright issues, I'm assuming you mean money issues, because I'm fairly certain they'll license out just about ANY song these days, given the right amount of money.

So Funi wasn't refused the music, they just didn't want to pony up the (probably) enourmous amounts of cash necessary to license said song. I can't say as I blame them, as no matter how many good reviews this show gets, I doubt it'd generate enough profit to justify spending a large chunk of change on one song that only appears at the end of the series.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Scaramanga wrote:
By copyright issues, I'm assuming you mean money issues, because I'm fairly certain they'll license out just about ANY song these days, given the right amount of money.

So Funi wasn't refused the music, they just didn't want to pony up the (probably) enourmous amounts of cash necessary to license said song. I can't say as I blame them, as no matter how many good reviews this show gets, I doubt it'd generate enough profit to justify spending a large chunk of change on one song that only appears at the end of the series.

I don't know for sure; but it is the Beatles, the money Sony was asking for was most likely some giant amount; and there were probably other stipulations like royalties and stuff like that. Then again, record companies can be very stingy when it comes to "their" music. Again, I don't know all the details; just that FUNi tried but couldn't get the rights.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I don't know for sure; but it is the Beatles, the money Sony was asking for was most likely some giant amount; and there were probably other stipulations like royalties and stuff like that. Then again, record companies can be very stingy when it comes to "their" music. Again, I don't know all the details; just that FUNi tried but couldn't get the rights.

Well, the Beatles have always been notorious for being difficult (and expensive) to license. As I recall, their songs have never been released on online stores, either, underlining the difficulty of getting their songs in the first place. Though, the presence of the song in the original Japanese version is something of a minor miracle in and of itself..
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Well, the Beatles have always been notorious for being difficult (and expensive) to license. As I recall, their songs have never been released on online stores, either, underlining the difficulty of getting their songs in the first place. Though, the presence of the song in the original Japanese version is something of a minor miracle in and of itself..
I think they've been difficult to license even for Hollywood movies -- I remember first learning about that upon hearing Fiona Apple's cover of "Across the Universe" in Pleasantville. And I think the upcoming movie with that same song name also uses cover versions. So you can't really blame Funi on this -- if major studios find Beatles licensing costs prohibitive, it's certainly out of reach for an anime company. Even more so than Tokio and 7 O'Clock News.

And according to one of the Wikipedia articles on the subject, the reason Beatles songs aren't on the iTunes store is because of a dispute between Apple (records) and Apple (technology company) about the use of the name "Apple" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I just got around to watching Beck volume 2 (volume 3 is cued up for tonight) and found it really amazing. This series is by far my favorite sports anime out. Granted rock music isn't a "sport" the series follows so many conventions of the genre in character and plot structure from these first two DVDs. I love the characters of Ryuusuke and Maho even though their English is not very convincing.

I haven't watched Hakenden for many years. I'm considering rewatching these OVAs since I have vague, fond memories of this series. I remember this title was the black sheep of the old Pioneer LDC lineup with most of their following series being Tenchi, El-Hazard, and other colorful AIC series.

I enjoyed the first School Rumble DVD. Funimation was nice enough to pack in the magnets with the non-tin edition of this DVD. I suppose I will reserve the rest of my opinions on the review that just went up for this release.

The biggest surprise was Red Garden. I just watched the first DVD this morning and found it hard to sit through. Something about the series didn't click with me, but I can't put my finger on it. The part in the second episode where all the main characters break out in song (which is the same song sung in the middle of episode one!) actually made me laugh. I'll definitely give it a second chance with the second DVD, but overall I was a bit disappointed in this one.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

It wasn't a minor miracle so much as it was illegal. Greg said that it turns out the original NEVER had the rights to have the Beatles song in the anime, even though they used it both in the show and on two seperate soundtracks. They just never bothered to even ask.

...I have a feeling that certainly didn't help things much. ^^' But yeah, like someone else said earlier in the thread, it sounds like Funi tried EVERYTHING they could to get the rights to keep the song in, and Greg and some of the other actors even offered to work for free if that would get the song in the show. If it was within their power to have the song in the anime, I'm sure they would've done so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
I think they've been difficult to license even for Hollywood movies -- I remember first learning about that upon hearing Fiona Apple's cover of "Across the Universe" in Pleasantville. And I think the upcoming movie with that same song name also uses cover versions.
EDIT: Fixed quote attributions. ~Zalis

This is also why I Am Sam's entire soundtrack was Beatles covers, even though it was supposed to be the original versions.

Zalis wrote:
So you can't really blame Funi on this --

I should note you can't blame the Beatles, either, as all the Lennon-McCartney songs are owned by a conglomerate that includes Michael Jackson and various Sony executives. Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono have been trying to buy these rights back for years, to no avail.

I do believe George Harrison's estate and Ringo Starr do retain the rights to their respective songs, however.

Zalis wrote:
And according to one of the Wikipedia articles on the subject, the reason Beatles songs aren't on the iTunes store is because of a dispute between Apple (records) and Apple (technology company) about the use of the name "Apple" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

To be fair, Apple Records copyrighted the name several decades before Apple Computer existed, and part of the lawsuit settlement was that Apple Computer never get into the music business. iTunes is most defintiely a form of "getting into the music business."

But anyway, it's already been announced ages ago that the Beatles' entire catalog is being digitally remastered (about damn time!) for eventual release on iTunes, i believe some time next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3