• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Exciting Anime Scenes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:54 am Reply with quote
I've told this to so many people it isn't even funny. Gundam Wing was not an action mecha series. It was a mix of socio-political commentary mixed with veiled romance. The fact that there were mecha in it was a side event. Yoshiyuki Tomino started Gundam to make a point about what a mecha series could be. In other words, not Mazinger or other similar big robot series. When he left, a lot of the magic of the series went with him and we got G. G removed any hint of thought or depth from Gundam, so when Wing's writers tried to repair that damage they went too far in the opposite direction. Is it flawed? Of course! But that doesn't detract from the fact that Wing is still a stand out series. At the very least, UC fans should respect the fact that it proved any Gundam series could be viable stateside. In fact, the fact that some fans understood and enjoyed those long-winded speeches proved that the Toonami-bred otaku of tomorrow can handle a plot that's more deep than "Oh no! He's more powerful than us. Let's become stronger!"
ownerizer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

In fact, the fact that some fans understood and enjoyed those long-winded speeches proved that the Toonami-bred otaku of tomorrow can handle a plot that's more deep than "Oh no! He's more powerful than us. Let's become stronger!"

Hahaha. We tried to get people away from the Toonami craze at school. Since we had CDRW/DVD drives in every computer we'd bring up other anime on DVD, and have our own little animefest. We exposed them to everything from Akira to Noir and Chobits. But in the end they always went back to DBZ. It's sad really. So needless to say we failed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Patience is a virtue, ownerizer. It takes baby steps to wean them off of a steady diet of pointlessness and sub-par dubbing. (or even above par dubbing in the case of Gundam Wing or Tenchi Muyo)

First of all, you have to talk to them first. Find out what they want more of. 9 times out of 10, you'll get the answer "more fighting, less talking." Those ones are the hopeless causes. You might get them with Akira or Ninja Scroll, maybe even Kite, but you won't make otaku out of 'em. Those tenth ones, though, have potential. They're after the stories, the characters, and want to learn. You work with them, and take baby steps. So they liked Tenchi Muyo, introduce them to Oh! My Goddess or Love Hina. So they liked Outlaw Star. Try showing them Captain Harlock or tell them to stay up late to catch Cowboy Bebop. If they enjoyed Mobile Suit Gundam, give them Robotech (Macross). Expand them slowly, don't club them over the head with Metropolis and Ghost in the Shell. They'll just shake their heads, not getting what you're saying. That's the key to the new breed. Slow introduction to a much bigger world.
Ramen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:49 pm Reply with quote
hehe, sounds like a bunch of Anime Evangelists! As long as we don't start having people go door to door preaching the truth about anime we should be fine Wink

Ok, back on target. The action sequence that always stick out in my mind is the battle between Saito Hajime and Himura Kenshin.
Ender Wiggin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:09 pm Reply with quote
How about the battle of Farfallas? (Outlaw Star)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's a good one. Initial D, First Stage, Mako and Sayuki of Impact Blue in their SilEighty versus Takumi in his Hachi-Roku on Usui. They used tons of unique angles on that battle, and you had Mako and Sayuki's slick duet "Wings of Fire" pulsing in the background. Wild stuff, and probably the best animation in the whole first season of Initial D. Excepting the match between Ryosuke Takahashi and Takumi in the last two episodes. Rage your dream, folks.
Stray Dog Strut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna agree with Craeyst Raygal and say that the finale of Gundam Wing when wing zero takes on epyon is probably the most exciting fight I've seen on film, I guess I'm just a sucker for mechs wailing on eachother.

But then again the chase/fight between Rumi and Mimi, and the fight between Mimi and that weird looking fanboy towards the end of Perfect Blue were the most suspensful scenes I've scene in my life. I was grinding my teeth and biting the hell out of my nails during the last 20 minutes of that movie. Ahhh good times...
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:09 am Reply with quote
Stray Dog Strut wrote:

But then again the chase/fight between Rumi and Mimi, and the fight between Mimi and that weird looking fanboy towards the end of Perfect Blue were the most suspensful scenes I've scene in my life. I was grinding my teeth and biting the hell out of my nails during the last 20 minutes of that movie. Ahhh good times...

Ooh! Perfect Blue! Now there's an underappreciated little gem that certainly has it's moments.

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERCRYCRYCRYCRY

I think the scene where Mima (OR IS IT?!!.!!111) shanks the photographer against projections of herself is sufficiently creepy and genius.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ramen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:16 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERCRYCRYCRYCRY

Ohh, it's all coming back to me. <shudder>
Ok, that scene does deserve a mention in this thread!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:41 am Reply with quote
Yurika and the Nadesico fighting the Jovian battle ship using her "fishing" method, pure strategy. Who said an exciting scene had to be full of action?

But if you want action look toward the last battles of Generator Gawl, Sorcerer Hunters, and Vandred. Good stuff.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MissKale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm, there are a lot of things mentioned already that I really like. Though I have to say when I first saw this topic my mind picked two that weren't mentioned here.

The final fight in Jubei Chan. I'm not going to say any more than that.

The battle where Shinji and Asuka had to match their moves to battle the angel. I felt that the timing for the animation was wonderful, and the music just made it amazing to watch.
Stray Dog Strut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:44 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that everyone has forgetten the fights from Berserk. Rembember Berserk, that series had such great fights. When Gatsu fought the 100 man army, or the jail break, and the Eclipse Massacre, that was one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen, I still have nightmares about it. Such a wonderful anime series.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:28 am Reply with quote
And don't forget Gut's first run in with Zodd, it' was quite a match, Zodd was completely off guard. Of course he had to have Grypheth's help in the end, but still.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:02 am Reply with quote
i was just wondering when chobits and noir became standards for elite anime excellence.. last i checked, they were both crap.

oh yeah i think an exciting scene is the end of episode 33 of fushigi yugi.. i think it was 33; anyone who's seen the series knows what i'm talking about.
arllyra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 33 . . .?
Y'know, I've seen FY probably half a dozen times, but I have no idea which scene you're talking about. Guess I paid more attention to what was going on than how many more episodes to go before it was over....
But while we're on that subject, that scene in the seiryuu inner sanctum was pretty neat. And the last Tamahome/Suboshi fight. Several more, but those are my faves.
I don't believe I've seen anyone mention Spriggan, so I'll bring it up. The moment I knew it was going to be ranked among my favorite animes was the car chase scene, where whathisname crashes a moving vehicle, is chased down by cars while on foot, and gets away. The previews made that one look so ominous and quiet and boring, I was quite pleasantly surprised when it proved me wrong with that scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4