• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime Studios Confirmed for Batman Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nqm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool news to me. I would have liked Gonzo added to the list of Animation companies but it's still pretty cool.

I've been a fan of American comics longer than anime/manga so I tend to hold more reverence towards. I'm a huge fan of the Batman. Probably easily one of the most identifiable superheroes in all of comics not just the DC Universe.

I also loved Batman: The Animated Series. I have to agree with an earlier post that Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are the definitive Batman and Joker.

I too also dig the more sinister Joker that Chris Nolan is trying to go for with the Dark Knight with casting Heath Ledger.

I've also enjoyed Kia Asamiya's interpretation especially the statues based on his art of Batman.

Batman Black & White has always been interesting with different artists take on the Dark Knight. Good stand alone stories especially the one by Otomo.

However this pleases me I just hope that none of the adaptations end up being anything like Frank Miller's All Star Batman. Easily one of the worst Batman titles I've ever read. One would think that Jim Lee and Frank Miller would make a killer combination of a creative team, but it's not so. Jim Lee art and Miller's writing do not mesh well at all. The art does not match the writing and there's no chemistry between the two. The writing itself is a parody of the old Frank Miller noir stuff.I thought Frank Miller could do no wrong when it came to writing comics that is until I read All Star Batman. I love Frank Miller he wrote one of the most definitive Batman stories The Dark Knight Returns and he wrote most of the source material for Batman Begins with Batman: Year One.

Then again we wouldn't have gems such as this if not for All Star Batman.

However I'm not worried too much because Bruce Timm does a decent job in making sure the quality is up there when it comes to his projects based on DC. I'm excited they got such animation companies. I look forward to seeing the Dark Knight interpreted by those studios and see if we can have a new take. As much as I love Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, I'd like to see new voice actors chosen or like someone mentioned earlier if it ties with the Dark Knight have the actors from the Dark Knight/Batman Begins reprise their roles because creatively it's not just Bruce Timm's creative input it's going to be a new perspective and it wouldn't be fair to just reuse the voice actors from Batman:TAS.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, those are 3 of Japan's best animation studios - I'm certainly looking forward to this!
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
If it's going to have some continuity/relationship with the films, then it would make a lot more sense to have the actual cast from the movies voice act for the anime... Bale has experience, if you remember he was the voice of Howl in Howls' Moving Castle! Cool
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
A Batman anime done by three of the best studios. Sounds like it will be great stuff.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Batman...Madhouse....I.G.....Bruce Timm....faints
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
No word on Japanese animators, but Bale has been confirmed
for the title role. Anyway, I'm not surprised that an anime is happening since the last few movies borrowed from Akira and Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Heath Ledger's unexpected demise means Hamill's going to be the Joker on this one...
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wonder if Heath Ledger's unexpected demise means Hamill's going to be the Joker on this one...

Since they probably recorded the voices before they animated it, I doubt it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Someone @ KFCC uploaded pics. Link

and 6
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3