• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Open Letter from GDH International's Arthur Smith

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrishHaremOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
None of the anime releases I've bought here have subtitle options.

Perhaps you get them over there. Lucky you.

It still doesn't change the quality argument.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, it would have been nice of you to mention what country you're from. This is a letter from an American company to American fans on an American site. Hell, for all I know, you might even be buying bootlegs using the American dub.

edit: Or I could have looked at your screen name a bit closer. Honestly, I don't know what Irish companies do. They're the same region as UK ones, right? That's the problem of whatever idiot company is releasing them there without subs and Japanese dub.

Last edited by The Xenos on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
IrishHaremOtaku wrote:

And lastly, I don't see why the DVD releases can't contain Japanese audio with subtitles as well. The fact that the great majority of DVDs do not have such an option, is an offput considering the poor quality of dubs.

Wow, you are completely, utterly, totally wrong about this. It's not a matter of opinion, you're wrong.
Cartoon Jay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
You can't tie your business to single format and expect it to last forever. It used to be that companies didn't want to support DVDs because they wanted to keep selling VHS tapes and VCRs. You can't TELL the market what it wants, you have to give it what it wants or go out of business.

People want downloads, not DVDs. Physical delivery formats for digital media (DVDs, CDs) are dying.

Give us cheap, dowloadable anime and move volume to make your money. Haven't you heard of this iTunes thing yet?

Diversify into merchandise based on the anime properties you distribute (you can't send Gundam models over the tubes.)

In short, adjust to the reality of the market, do ask the market to adjust to you.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
To everyone demanding downloads, speak for yourself. I like having physical copies and I don't mean ones I burn myself. The medium and shipping of the medium is fairly cheap compared to the actual cost of the show. You're not paying that much for the medium. You're paying for production of the show itself. If anything, charging less for digital copies is just because it's a new format they're trying out and trying to sell people on.
IrishHaremOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Jay has the right idea.

As for Zac, everything is open to interpretation. So shove it.

Xenos: Anyway, if my name is "IrishHaremOtaku", what god damn country do you think I'm from? Afghanistan?

Furthermore, as far as i'm concerned, dubs are a waste of cash that merely reduce the net profit of any DVD sales. Nuke them, and provide downloads on a system similar to what Jay has said, and then, MAYBE THEN, fansubbing won't be attractive to the great majority of anime fans. If you want physical copies, just burn the downloaded material onto DVDs
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Folks, there's absolutely no reason to bold your arguments. If people want to read what you're saying, they will.

Also, I find it somewhat saddening that regardless of someone's position in the industry, so many of you automatically disregard absolutely any statement that you don't agree with 100 percent, either by implying that the person speaking, regardless of their experience or knowledge, "doesn't know what they're talking about" or changing the goal posts and demanding some kind of "evidence" you're not really going to get. There's so much bluster and obfuscation that occurs as a result of ANY statement from the industry about the impact of fansubs, and honestly so many of you seem so absolutely, single-mindedly dedicated to shouting from the rooftops that fansubs have ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER ON ANYTHING RARRGH that it scarcely matters what evidence or arguments you're presented with.

I think the CEO of Toei could come down and show you absolutely damning evidence with hard numbers, income statements, verbal testimony from a million people who download fansubs and you'd still ignore it, imply that he doesn't know what he's talking about, and then switch the goal posts around again and demand some other kind of "evidence".

Couldn't agree with this statement more, which brings me to my next question....

The DVDs, aren't they pretty much the same in releases? Japanese and the US?

Okay, I did a little bit of research... >.> Using Death Note as an example

Death Note Japanese DVD - Contains 3 episodes, and the retail price is around $50 dollars.

Death Note English DVD - Contains 4 episodes, around $25 dollars.

Usually anime goes on sale for $19 or less when it first comes out. Not with all anime, some. I would guess the easier way of getting it is through a boxed set, for a long series, I mean.

But I don't understand why pricing is a huge issue, considering that that could be a standard price for a US DVD, on average is 2 hours llong (like a movie), and is around the same price or more.

._. either way...not trying to bash anyone, just trying to figure out...
why is being cheap the way to go? Honestly, with the exception of DN, I've never paid full price for a DVD, unless I really wanted it NOW.

Then again, I used to get discounts. I just look for a good bargain, and I'm happy with what I purchase. ^^;

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Panda Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Jay wrote:

People want downloads, not DVDs. Physical delivery formats for digital media (DVDs, CDs) are dying.

Please explain where you got the information about how people want downloads. Because it is harder to replace a digital file than it is to replace a DVD. If a DVD gets a scratch, its like having the file becoming corrupt. But with a DVD you can remove that scratch. If a file is corrupt, you have to re-download or have a spare copy.

Most of the people I know would much rather have DVD just because they have a better chance of staying with you than downloads.

So, speak for yourself, don't say "people" when it is just what you want. Because I want physical things.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Jay wrote:

You really can't say this. It isn't that people don't want DVDs at all, it's just that anime as a market has ceased being dominated by collectors; it's becoming more like American television, where people want to consume the product but not necessarily own it.

Once they manage to provide anime in a way that allows for casual consumption without requiring a DVD purchase, there'll still be a market for DVDs, just like there's a market for American TV shows on DVD.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
IrishHaremOtaku wrote:

Well matey, thanks to this brilliant post you'll be shovin' off to other forums where they tolerate rudeness like this!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
IrishHaremOtaku wrote:
Cartoon Jay has the right idea.

Xenos: Anyway, if my name is "IrishHaremOtaku", what god damn country do you think I'm from? Afghanistan?

Furthermore, as far as i'm concerned, dubs are a waste of cash that merely reduce the net profit of any DVD sales. Nuke them, and provide downloads on a system similar to what Jay has said, and then, MAYBE THEN, fansubbing won't be attractive to the great majority of anime fans. If you want physical copies, just burn the downloaded material onto DVDs

You could have been Irish American. I've heard plenty of Americans call themselves Irish or Greek or whatever ethnicity they are, especially in screen names.

Also, it's not smart to tell the editor of the site to 'shove it'.

Also, some of us like watching anime the way the Japanese do, dubbed in their native language. Some of us actually still like getting physical property for our money. Burning a DVD is just not the same as official release. Your opinion is one of many. Companies have to deal with those many opinions, they can't be at your individual beck and call.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Well...I for one like having the original DVD's in my room. I donwload a lot of fansubs, but I still want the boxsets. If they ever do release Nanoha boxsets, I'm first in line at the DVD store, belive you me.

Still......you can't defeat fansubs beacuse well......not only are they free, fast and easy to get......they are of higher quality now then dvds. Go download an episode of Gundam 00, the HD version......t3at sh1t 1s t4 b0m8!!! There is no way in hell that the official US dvs are going to look that good. They'll be lucky if it looks HALF as good
merr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
IrishHaremOtaku wrote:
the VA for Haruhi herself had overprominant Californian accent. For someone who expects at least partially neutral accents, due to the obvious setting of Japan, this is too much to be ignored.

Uh, the so-called "Californian accent" IS region neutral for America (the country the Haruhi dub was produced for). It may sound different to someone from another country, but for Americans, the differences between a California accent and a general newscaster accent are pretty negligible and are usually ignored.

For instance, if we have a TV show that takes place in Nebraska and one of the actors speaks with a California accent, no one is going to think that's strange. In fact, the vast majority of Americans watching the show aren't even going to notice that the actor has an accent at all.

Unless you expect the English dubs to be done with Japanese accents or in British received pronunciation, your complaint sounds pretty pointless.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
shionxx wrote:
UNDERSTAND WE DO NOT WANT physical DVDs, we don't want music on discs, WE WANT TO DOWNLOAD FAST AND EASY and watch it in our pc, laptop, psp, etc.

AGAIN WE DO NOT WANT DVDS, the majority oif us DON'T CARE for the bonuses in dvds, we want easy access.

Let me set the record straight right now that I distance myself from this inclusive group unspecifically refered to as "WE" in those statements. I am the owner of 788 Region 1 domestic DVD titles, many of which I have seen their fansubs which propelled, if not compelled, the DVD purchases so long as a brave or foolish licensor acquired and released the title. And, I have no intention of stopping.

Titles or artist releases that don't interest me are just that. I don't watch their fansubs, and neither will I buy their DVDs or CDs. The day I start downloading iTunes music is the day they offer music content to be downloaded in the user's preferred format, bitrates as high as 320kbs or higher, and offering credit towards buying the CD. Until then, the loss of Tower Records is my loss, and I'm forced to order my classical music from www.arkivmusic.com.

Last edited by khryoleoz on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I am sick of Californian and Texan accents in my anime. I refuse to buy and will stick to downloading fansubs until I start hearing more heavy Bostonian accents. I want to hear anime characters sounding like Matt Damon or JFK. I want to hear Haruhi say that something is 'wicked pissah'. I won't buy DVDs unless they're specified to my tiny area of the English speaking world. Rolling Eyes Wink
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20