• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guilty Crown (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Girl's costume is absurd and out of place in an otherwise fairly realistic world.
Well, she's apparently some kind of singer/performer, so they at least have an in-story excuse for it.
Quote:
*This is, shockingly, absolutely done in the most sexually suggestive way possible. She even whispers "use me" right before and then lies there groaning as he does it. It's pretty hilarious actually.
Yeah, but isn't that silly over-the-top-ness what makes it so entertaining in a show like this? :D
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So does anyone know the name of the song the girl sings in the beggining?

'Euterpe' by Egoist
think it comes out on 23rd November, but that could well be something else and i mixed it up but thats definately the name of the song

moving away from the opening track, i thought the music played a huge role in the episode, none of it seemed like typical music for the type of anime or situations involved but it all worked far better than (my idea of) steroetypical anime music that we usually get, for example:
The Opening Track - traditionally for that situation you'd get something fast paced, possibly rock or electronic music but instead a slow, melo piece
Gai Intro Piece - a more western rock/hip-hop hybrid track to present Gai with a sort of 'badass' image right from the off which seemed to work far better than other tracks/series trying a similar thing
Final Battle Scene - this track really brought an increased sense of grandeur to an already grande final scene

although these are just my opinions based on the series i've previously watched, im sure people's opinions will differ (i have only seen 80 series and started another 75 so i'm not the most well versed fan out there, although i've seen most of the big names)

Last edited by Getsuga311 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
guet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I loved the first episode. It scratched an itch I've been having for a while now.

I've honestly been somewhat burnt out on anime, and have been checking first episodes out this season to see if something clicks, and for me Guilty Crown does.

I've seen a lot of comparisons to Geass in here, but I also got some major Ghost in the Shell vibes as well. (Other than the obvious I.G. connection.) Yeah, we've seen this stuff before, but if it's good, who cares?

The music was great, the character designs stand out without looking overly weird, and the action is fantastic. This is one of those "shut your brain off and enjoy the awesome" type shows, and I am looking forward to the next episodes.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Getsuga311 wrote:

'Euterpe' by Egoist

Tempted to...

I didn't know the egoist of this forum made a song! No wonder (s)he has been away from here. Music companies are taking away his/her time here. (S)he has a nice voice too.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Getsuga311 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So does anyone know the name of the song the girl sings in the beggining?

'Euterpe' by Egoist
think it comes out on 23rd November, but that could well be something else and i mixed it up but thats definately the name of the song

Thanks found the video on youtube
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Getsuga311 wrote:

'Euterpe' by Egoist

Tempted to...

I didn't know the egoist of this forum made a song! No wonder (s)he has been away from here. Music companies are taking away his/her time here. (S)he has a nice voice too.

You make it sound like I could be a girl. Laughing
revial

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
yamata no orochi wrote:
Okay, that was about what I expected from a show by the director of Death Note and the writer of Code Geass. Fairly cliched and hilariously adolescent, but also really stylish and full of potential. I can see this as being a lot of fun in the future, assuming it doesn't crash and burn!

What really intrigued me was spoiler[the scene where he activates the Guilty Crown and sees flashes of...something. Did he used to know Inori, but had his brain wiped or something? Is he absorbing the memories of other people when he pulls swords out of their souls? Makes me think that while this show is obviously aiming to be pulp insanity, it might have more up its sleeve than it's letting on.]

I was trying to find some discussion about the images, but frankly it's impossible since virtually every message board is just Code Geass, Code Geass, she's hot, this is the best, no Fate/Zero is the best, etc. :p For the record, the show definitely has Code Geass vibes, but with a very generic boring protagonist. And, yes, it certainly looks like it'll be a fairly generic shonen show with good production values, which is not what I was expecting from Production I.G and the noitaminA slot. But, let's get past that and move on.

As far as the images shown during those flashes, I'll just repost what I posted originally on another message board. Unfortunately, I can't provide the link as it is blacklisted by the ANN board apparently. LoL. Anyways, here goes:

Here we have a girl who could be related to Inori. Note the growths that seem very similar to what happens to Shu when he releases his power he gains from reaching into Inori's chest. Is it possible this is an early version of "Guilty Crown" that wasn't really ready to be used?

Here's a boy covered in blood. We'll see him again in another flashback which will show it's definitely not Shu. My first guess is that it is Gai.

Here we have the girl from the first picture back. Looks fairly similar to Inori, and is doing the same cat's cradle pose. We'll see her cross by itself surrounded by red balls. Maybe blood, or possibly the red balls we saw associated with the Guilty Crown serum Shu had in that vial. Perhaps, as an Alpha version of Guilty Crown, it was accidentally discharged and things went kaboom.

Here she is again. She seems more resigned to the growths on her body.

This is the chief scientist we saw in the present. Nothing really to say here. Obviously he's been working on Guilty Crown for some time. Maybe he's Shu's father? Especially in light of who Shu's mother probably is.

Despite what this screenshot shows, the date is actually December 23, 2028. Which is one year before the Apocalypse Virus outbreak in Tokyo, and the likely date of the Lost Christmas side story they are making a visual novel out of.

Here we have a normal shot of the boy we saw earlier covered in blood. Again, my first guess is this is Gai.

Finally, we have what is presumably Shu and his mother. If the candles are to be trusted, this is Shu's fourth birthday.

Taking a step back from the flashbacks, and here we have the woman accompanying the chief scientist in the present. Looks a lot like Shu's mom (thanks to a poster at that forum that must not be mentioned :p). There is the matter of seemingly different eyecolor, but that could just be a lighting issue.

Here we have a shot of a young boy with the bridge torn in half. Presumably the young boy is at fault. Could be Shu.

No matter how much I tried, I could not get a clear frame on this number. It does not look like a date though. My guess is that is reads: 83456 P-16, which is completely meaningless to me.

Here we have a shot of one number. 6626. It's possible, due to the pseudoscience we've already seen relating to genetics, this number relates to the small nuclear ribonucleoprotein polypeptide A gene. If it does, I'm sure we'll eventually get a very sexed-up version of what a polypeptide normally does. :heh:

Here we have a shot of a crash of some sorts. Perhaps the early version of Guilty Crown was being transported on this vehicle (guessing it's a plane). Maybe this was the cause of all the other events we see in these flashbacks.

Here is another young child. Presumably not Gai (assuming the boy in picture #2 is Gai, and this kid doesn't have the same scarf/collar on his shirt) or Shu (wrong hair color/style). No idea who this may be. But, as someone else pointed out, based off the Guilty Crown character info, he could be Daryl Yan of the GHQ (bad guys).

We then had a bunch of numbers such as "287" flash. Gave up on trying to capture them all, so no images there. Possibly more genes?

Finally, we have this young girl. Creepy smile, blue lights...but young enough that maybe this girl is Inori. Beats me.

So, the safe money is that Shu and Gai either knew each other as children or at least came into contact when this incident that these flashbacks tease us about occurred. It would also explain why Gai called Shu by name when they first meet in the present. If we're going to go this far, then it's probably safe to assume Shu has met Inori in the past as well. Yes, amnesiac characters are a tired cliche, but so what?

Thoughts?

Last edited by revial on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
i won't quote it but thanks for the freeze frames of the flashbacks, very intriguing stuff there, definitely seems that given the background to the story (i'm gonna assume people have actually read it by now) that 10 years ago when the Apocalypse Virus broke out that Gia, Shu and Inori were involved in some manner (incidental or purposeful) and that Shu lost his memories of it, seeing as he didn't seem to recognise Gia and Inori as any sort of childhood friends but they seem to, particulary Gia since he knew his name and also that they were free and easy just calling him Shu
also, the girl in the flashbacks doesn't seem to be Inori, but more likely someone closely related, so it could be possible that she was Inori's older sister (Inori is 16, Shu - 17, Gia - 17) and maybe thats how they knew Inori, Gia and Shu were the same age as her sister so they played together but Inori's sister was the first to use the power, maybe an unrefined version of it (assuming that maybe the START 23-12-78 was the start of some sort of project, probably involving the psuedoscience you mentioned) and it went berserk and did all the damage and the Virus or something like that, which explains the bloody frame of (possibly) Gia and the damaged plane frame as well

don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, i did try to come up with a theory that incorporated all the frames there but in my head it started to wear thin at the end, don't know if people found it did or not

any other ideas or improvements to this one?
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Since no one has complained about this yet, I'll point it out...

Quote:
Hell my fellow deceased. The current situation doesn't allow for your survival.

*Gai let's them run away ALIVE after a light beating*

Don't know why people are complaining about Shu being a pussy when Gai is even worse. Rolling Eyes

Asides from that....as said before, it's pretty decent. Not the best, but shows lots of potential. I like the animation, I love the outfits, and the premise is neat.

...hoping every single foreigner gets mutilated though.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was great. Gai is just an awesome character. He seems like a much better version of Lelouch- Leader with smarts and is a great fighter and looks cooler. I wasn't surprised when Shu spoiler[ declined the hand in the end] knowing his character type. Of course Gai sends Inori to his school.
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Gai is just an awesome character. He seems like a much better version of Lelouch- Leader with smarts and is a great fighter and looks cooler.

i thought i'd be alone on that but i'm glad i'm not, Lelouch was good and very different from your usual protagonist but like most of the characters in Code Geass i found him to be far too overly dramatic and self righteous for my tastes, although he didn't annoy me as much as Suzaku and Nina
Gai, on the other hand, seems far cooler and calmer whilst still being intelligent and a fighter, kinda like Lelouch but without the OTT style he had

As for episode 2, my biggest fear was a drop off on the second episode and gladly it didn't disappoint, plenty of action, character development and introductions and just enough new info about the series to keep me totally hooked whilst still keeping some mystery to the series
although now i fear some sort of episode 3 drop off, given how it was more of a 2 episode opening to the series
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
So far there are some pretty big plot holes in this series. To wit:

spoiler[1. If Gai wanted the genome, why didn't he have Yuu give it to him in the slums when he had the chance?

2. How did Yuu know that the weapon held in the evil blond-haired guy would be a shield, and how did Gai plan around that?

3. Why would Inori transfer to Yuu's school if she's a wanted fugitive working for a terrorist organization?]

One thing I did appreciate, though, was that the second episode was able to communicate a lot of information without having to use much exposition to do so. There's also a lot of room for growth--the fact that using the Genome on somebody knocks them comatose strikes me as pretty ominous. If the weapon breaks, does that person die? Were Guilty Crown to parallel Yuu's growth through the friends that he meets with Yuu taking advantage of his friends in order to defeat the government--a la the Persona games--I would be pretty confident that this show would eventually become something pretty interesting.

As it is, it seems that for every thing Guilty Crown does right, it does one or two things wrong. But we'll see where it goes from here.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Complaint Screed Begin:

All right, how many people were pinching the bridge of their nose/rubbing their temples/burying their foreheads in their hands when spoiler[Inori showed up as transfer student]?

So, their mechs are remote controlled. That's a good start. Now, if only there was a way to avoid harm being transmitted to the operator. We seem to have figured it out in 2011, can't they uninvent that feature? Though they do seem to get the pilots off, which had me thinking of Aquarion, of all things.

Gai is some kind of prophet. spoiler[He somehow reads Shu well enough to trust his entire revolution to Shu's willingness and ability to act in a critical, time-sensitive moment... but doesn't know ahead of time whether Shu'll join the resistance.]

Complaint Screed End.

But who cares about all that? It's fun stuff, but the heavy subject matter juxtaposed with the incredibly juvenile writing makes it hard to turn off my brain to properly enjoy it.

Hiroyuki Sawano is quickly becoming one of my favorite action music composers, especially for these kinds of over-the-top shows. I used to joke about how he was the best thing in every show he worked on, since they were all pretty terrible, but I'm glad he's getting legitimate projects now.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Episode 2 was great. Gai is just an awesome character. He seems like a much better version of Lelouch- Leader with smarts and is a great fighter and looks cooler.

Gai has a lot more style than Lelouch, correct, but I don't think he's a better character right now.

If anything, I'd call him an idealized version of Lelouch, which actually makes Gai work best as an important secondary character in this specific context. After two episodes, I believe he's almost too perfect and flawless to be the main character.

And that's almost certainly the point, precisely because Shu seems so weak right now. Gai represents everything the protagonist of Guilty Crown isn't: competent, confident and calm. The contrast is clearly intentional and it could make for some engaging dynamics further down the road, but there's no sign of limitations or internal conflict, which in my opinion was a lot of what made Lelouch more flawed yet also more interesting. Gai's only problem is not getting to use the Void Genome, though he might be lying or exaggerating in order to manipulate Shu's reactions.

On that note, I expect that Shu will receive the lion's share of character development in this series, which means he'll also go through more growing pains than someone like Gai, who is already the "finished product" in a certain manner of speaking.
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Gai is a really fishy character, he's too forceful for my taste. But it's clear he won't let Shu escape that easily, he has the power he wanted. Letting Inori transfer is expected, but you'd think the students will recognize her faster, she's a singer, right?

yamata no orochi wrote:
2. How did Yuu know that the weapon held in the evil blond-haired guy would be a shield, and how did Gai plan around that?

I've been asking that question myself as well. Kaleidoscope, was it? Gai seems way too knowledgeable about this whole Void Genome project. It's supposed so be top secret, so where on earth did he get his information? I can't wait to know why. On that note, can Shu use his powers on anyone, or are there specific kinds of people who can be turned into weapons?

So many questions. Waiting for one week is killing me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20