• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neakino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I think that the mysteries have been vastly underestimated. They added an mysterious new angel that hasn't been identified. If you notice they refer to the angel in central dogma as lilith, however, in the teaser, the lilith that we've all come to know and love from the series is laying on the moon with scaffolding all around her. And now we have a possible location that the angels are coming from, but who is releasing them and why? I think that is the fun of the new films. Out with the old hashed and rehashed theories and subterfuge, and in with a new sinister plot that could make the old Eva plot look like it was a plot from one of the episodes of the care bears in comparison.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the review was harsh and I really do have high hopes for this remake. Oh and I think it's time that we all face the facts Adv is not getting the license for this. They probably are going to try harder then anybody considering that it "made them" and all but we all see what they are going through. That plus the fact that gendo ikari uhh I mean mr anno (I swear he based that character on himself) and his team are making requests that seem to be unusual it's not going to be easy but I would love to see them get it. They are my favorite dubbing company due to the fact that their dvd releases seem very polished, They mostly seem to do new actors justice and they have evangelion.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Trunks wrote:
The preview bits at the end of the movie make it sound like the rest of the sequels will turn out quite different from the original plot...

That could be part of the reason for the skipped character development.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see more of the relationship between ritsuko and rei because it seemed more complex then we saw because we were to busy listening to shinji's inner whining.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I agree that the review was harsh and I really do have high hopes for this remake. Oh and I think it's time that we all face the facts Adv is not getting the license for this. They probably are going to try harder then anybody considering that it "made them" and all but we all see what they are going through. That plus the fact that gendo ikari uhh I mean mr anno (I swear he based that character on himself) and his team are making requests that seem to be unusual it's not going to be easy but I would love to see them get it. They are my favorite dubbing company due to the fact that their dvd releases seem very polished, They mostly seem to do new actors justice and they have evangelion.

"Unusual requests"? What are these and why haven't I heard of them?

Oh, and whoever licenses the films, if they don't reprise the original voice cast then there's gonna be HELL TO PAY.

As for the film itself, I haven't seen it so I can't really pass judgment, but ever since the movies were first announced to be remakes I've been worried about whether the smaller timeframe would allow for the kind of unprecedented character development that was possible in the series. Also, I don't like the thought of the mysteriousness and complex symbolism might be toned down to be less perplexing to the general public. I only pray that this doesn't end with a "Well, now you know everything" ending like so many other series. One huge thing that has made Evangelion so timeless is that when all is said and done, there's still so much that's ambiguous and unexplained. I understand that this was partially due to the fact that because of pressure and budget restraints Anno was not able to incorporate all the aspects of the plot he originally intended, but to trim down the ambiguity and labyrinthine nature of the series even a little bit too much would be mortifying.
That said, the hints that there will be some significantly altered plot developments in the upcoming films establishes some completely new mysteries, and I only hope that these will prove to be just as epic and memorable as the twists and turns of the original. I have mixed feelings about the very concept of tinkering with a plot of a series that I consider to be nearly perfect (in effect, if not in execution), but I'm withholding judgment until I get a chance to see the films myself. WITH SPIKE F***ING SPENCER IN THEM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion is undoubtedly one of if not my favorite anime series so I really want to see these new movies done right. I really hope they don't use a shinji/rei/auska love triangle too far or anything.
mjharper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I fall on the 'disagree' side. I'm new to Evangelion—watched the series over the weekend, watched the movie yesterday—and I think the complaints are overstated. For a start, it smacks of hypocrisy to complain that the movie doesn't change enough to be interesting, and then to complain that it doesn't leave everything the same.

Some of the criticisms to seem plain wrong to me, such as the statement that the series took a while to for Shinji to become angst-ridden, while the movie plunges right in. Pedantic it may be, but let's look at Shinji's first words in both the series (English dub, Platinum edition) and the movie (German sub, translated), spoken when he hears the recorded message on the public phone:

Series: "It's no use. This is dumb. I shouldn't have come here."
Movie: "Out of order. My mobile has no network and neither the trains nor the buses are running."

Hmm. For my money, the Shinji of the series is already a miserable defeatist the first time we meet him, while we form no such impression in the movie.

Or the suggestion that we know almost nothing about his relationship with his father. I'm not sure we were watching the same movie here. Little is said with words, but surely that's much the same with the series. It's all in body language. The first time father and son meet, the father is still stood high above glowering down upon his son, the Eva—his work—between between them; he still calls for Rei to be sent in with a smirk on his face, knowing that seeing Rei will manipulate his son into manning the Eva. The father's attitude is immediately clear. And when they first meet face-to-face as the elevator doors open, Shinji still turns his head away in deference, and we know how he feels. In fact I'm really not sure what is supposed to be missing.

My feeling, as someone who more-or-less watched the series and movie back-to-back for the first time is that over-familiarity with NGE has led people to criticise the movie unfairly. The first of four movies is being judged according to the standards of the whole 26 episode series. I'm not convinced that much of the supposed subtlety would be missing if you sat down and watched only episodes 1-6 and compared them with the movie; I'll have to do that, I guess.

Of course, I'm quite willing to accept that my relative unfamiliarity is colouring my perspective on this. But I'm inclined to agree with the observation made above that we'll see more 'development' in the subsequent movies. I think—on the basis of the epilogue scene—that we'll be getting to the meaty stuff sooner, and that will be leading to the character development. Shinji has enough on his plate in the first movie dealing with his role as a operator, and his relationship with Rei, which provides the emotional climax of this movie. The rest is coming.

Furthermore, it seems to me that the overall approach of the movie is mirrored by the designs of the Angels. The first angel is largely the same as in the original series. The second Angel has been far more enhanced: it no longer resembles a giant, well, you know, what with all those grub-like legs and stuff. But final Angel has been developed almost beyond recognition: it's a quantum leap beyond the original. And right after the climax of the final battle of the movie, we're treated to the first truly new element of the plot. The progression is surely intentional: from a touched up Evangelion to a new Evangelion. I'd say that Anno is just easing us into this updated vision. Patience is a virtue.

Oh, and one last thought: Isn't Eve the Third Angel? Lilith was the first apocryphal wife of Adam; Eve was the second wife, from from Adam's rib. So—and this is an NGE noob speaking—the Evas are all the Third Angels, derived from Adam; humans are derived from them; and Lilith on the moon is the outcast, and all new Angels are derived from her.

Or something Wink
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
I guess put this on my next rental. Either from the public library or Netflix.

I've watched the first series and both movies. Now the question is will my memory be good enough to detect the subtle changes. But it's amazing that Japanese fans killed themselves going to the theaters to see this over and over again. But I guess it's worth a look at the changes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3