• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Accusations and Doomsaying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Bleu: Yep. And again, the PS2 only survived launch week, because of the DVD player. The DC would have otherwise kicked its butt.
A bunch of shovel ware games helped too. Luckily, the Wii isn't any like that. PS2 was a fine system with a line of great games. I think the PS 3 is trying to make up for the fact the PS 2 was the weakest of the three last gen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Bleu: The problem wasn't that the DC came out too early, but that SEGA burned a lot of people with the Saturn. And backwards compatibility has been around since at least the days when the Super NES had a special GB converter. Also, aside from GTA and MGS 3, most third-party games ended up on the other systems.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
They actually named the game Monotone Princess?

And here I was feeling guilty for criticizing such a young seiyuu's performance. Razz
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

And here I was feeling guilty for criticizing such a young seiyuu's performance. Razz

It took much effort to keep from splurting my breakfast all over my monitor.

Laughing
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

And here, I didn't even notice a discrepancy in Maka's seiyuu's performance. I live in Fukushima prefecture, where the accent is, well, monotone. It sounded completely normal to me!
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Bleu: Yep. And again, the PS2 only survived launch week, because of the DVD player. The DC would have otherwise kicked its butt.
A bunch of shovel ware games helped too. Luckily, the Wii isn't any like that. PS2 was a fine system with a line of great games. I think the PS 3 is trying to make up for the fact the PS 2 was the weakest of the three last gen.

Not the Gamecube? I'm surprised. Nintendo? Successful? I thought that it hadn't done very well, for a Nintendo system at least, because of the controller? Or something?

By the way, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the EyeToy. I know it wasn't exactly revolutionary (Gameboy cam, DreamEye, etc.), but it was pretty fun, and most importantly no one else had a comparable device that gen. Not that I want to get into an argument, because I always do but the other consoles weren't quite as interesting. What did the X Box have? X Box Live?
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
Ataru wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Not the Gamecube? I'm surprised. Nintendo? Successful? I thought that it hadn't done very well, for a Nintendo system at least, because of the controller? Or something?

The PS2 was the weakest technologically. The other two benefited from releasing later.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:

By the way, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the EyeToy. I know it wasn't exactly revolutionary (Gameboy cam, DreamEye, etc.), but it was pretty fun, and most importantly no one else had a comparable device that gen. Not that I want to get into an argument, because I always do but the other consoles weren't quite as interesting. What did the X Box have? X Box Live?

The Gamecube was designed to be powerful and low cost. It did both of these well. The problem is not many developers actually used what was there. Generally speaking, graphically at least, the Gamecube and Xbox were about on par with one another. The Gamecube made it's money as Nintendo typically profits off their hardware, where most companies usually sell at an intentional loss to be made up in attachments. Aside from some visual oomph, nintendo made good on the problems of last gen. GC was easier to code for (infact most systems during that generation were, with only the PS2 being troublesome). The N64 from what I understand, was a mess for developers. GC also had a better controller (not perfect), and was just generically all around decent. Unfortunately, the GC had very little identity, and didn't sell in droves. As i mentioned, developers largely didn't use what was given to them on the platform, resulting in a lot of ugly games. First party titles and a small handful of third party titles still look and play amazing though.

The Eyetoy is neat and all, but it's kind of a niche toy. It's not comfortable for a lot of people to be on camera. Also, the day something like Eyetoy takes off, all three systems will have it. All they need is a cheap usb cam and an interface built into the game/API for it. This won't ever be a deciding factor in anything. The PS2 really didn't have much going for it, but the DVD player feature and the games (after the first yr or two) made the system. Not to mention they were coming off the PS1 high. They had a legacy and no jaggy ugly graphics, or crappy launch titles would deter anyone from spending $300 on a PS2, despite the Dreamcast having a way better lineup.

The Xbox launch was weak. Originally it had very few games and mediocre ones at that and a big freakish oversized controller. At launch it had this going for it. A hard drive offering potential for unique flexibility, or at least caching to negate some load times. A generic x86 architecture allowing for any dev tools within reason to work on the system. Excellent graphical capabilities. I think it was about a year after launch they made their big push. They fixed their controller with the very impresive Controller S (now a staple of the system), Xbox Live which offered online play no other system or even the PC could quite do THAT well and streamlined, as well as a better (if one sided) catalog of games. Mind you, if you weren't into shooters, generic action games, and 3-D fighting, you were still left in the cold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3