• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Butler (TV + OAV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10/Finale:

Wow, just wow. This was a glorious season and I think the last few episodes really bought out what the arc is like; a sharp contrast to the first half's more lighthearted moments.

The finale captured exactly what I had hoped for and it nailed it to the core. A faithful adaptation despite some fillerish scenes, I give this season an Excellent. Can't wait for Book of Murder!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
It felt like they were struggling to fill in the last few minutes, but I'm overall extremely happy with how they pulled this arc off. This is the arc that I think makes the best portrayal of the darkness Ciel is involved in, and it clearly sets him apart from most other protagonists. He is, in fact insanely hard to root for because of his cruelty and lack of ideals, but those qualities also make him really fascinating. The fact that the villains are easier to sympathize with is a very noticeable sign of this, and this arc in particular is very painful to watch because of how likable the villains are.

Hoping the sales are good enough to grant adaptations of other manga arcs, apart from Book of Murder there are still two complete arcs that can be used.

On another note, I didn't remember [manga spoiler] spoiler[that Snake's story didn't get resolved in this part]. More reasons to look forward to Book of Murder
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Everything seemed better than being homeless and rejected.
Things were nice and fun at first.
Shame it didn't stay that way..
Guess if someone is crazy enough to take in gutter rats, he'll do it with ulterior motive.
Reapers had their hands full at that mansion.
I expected more out of the ending...
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
It was definitely a fantastic final episode, and this show undoubtedly deserves an excellent rating. I don't know if I can definitely say it outclassed the first season, since the novelty of the first season still carries some weight. However, the dialogue in the final episode was an amazing commentary on humanity and a reminder of the cruel and frightening complexity of Ciel's character. He's certainly a "good guy," but one with virtually zero empathy and a kind of absolutist sense of duty that makes him a very effective hit man (which is essentially the role he and Sebastian fulfill for the Queen). I did find the final scene with the spoiler[ghostly versions of the circus people] to be somewhat thought provoking, but by far the most difficult, and significant scenes were the ones dealing with how Ciel spoiler[burned the dozens of children alive, because he apparently thought they were "too far gone" and couldn't be saved like he was.] He acknowledges that his thoughts to that effect are arrogant though, and before the final scene, having ruthlessly slaughtered his way through hell on earth, he admits that he, like all humans, is worse than Sebastian.

Yes, it's extremely cynical, but humanity is extremely diverse and there's just about as much truth in this cynicism as any other mode of thinking in our world. As entertaining as Black Butler is, I always feel like there's also such great social commentary going on with this show.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Black Butler is definitely one of the best anime series I have ever watched. Graphics, character design, music, drama, and such. I could watch it forever, if it could continue forever.

This Circus batch, however, has one significant issue: the "sentimental" flashback stories about the Circus troupe does not work at all, I have ZERO sympathy towards the gang that committed mass murders all over the place to be able to abduct children for obviously questionable purposes (them not knowing exact purpose is irrelevant).

There is nothing conflicting about their deaths, they have certainly earned it, and it was great that all of them were killed by the Demon. There is just no excuse why they would be let to live, considering the massacres they have committed.

However cute Dagger or Doll or whoever else among them are, after what they have done, I do not care at all. So while I see Ciel being somewhat conflicted about this, considering his relationship with the troupe, it is not real drama as he knew they are the ugliest inhumane monsters in the shape of people.

Thus the drama part is not as convincing to me.

p.s. SPECIAL REGARDS to the author and production committee that decided not to cheapen the project by artificially dragging it from 10 to 13 episodes. This, nowadays, is great virtue.

Otherwise I would have been forced to read all the typical nonsensical excuses about how blatantly filler episodes are necessary for "world-building".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3