• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It looks like what they want from Mitsuki is to reverse engineer how Orochimaru created an artificial being that doesn't fall apart without constant maintenance. Mitsuki wants to learn more about how he was created, i.e., was he programmed during his creation or does he have his own free will. He's not going to be on board for the army Ku is building though.

I got a kick out of Mitsuki explaining how to yawn before sleeping. Smile

It was disappointing how easily Kurotsuchi was captured though. She's the damned tsuchikage, so fighting off numerous attackers should be well within her capabilities. Ku seemed to be someone she knows though, so I guess I'll allow that that threw her off her game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Was that the rabbit from earlier that died? Why did it die? I'm imagining Akkun playing with it to death. Sad But he was sweet at its funeral. I have a feeling he's not going to make it out of this arc alive, but I'm sure it will be a heroic passing.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
JotaPT wrote:
The latest episodes are fillers or cannon?

everything except the movie arc has been filler, they are just wasting time until they get enough material from the manga.

but at the manga's current pace that will be years.
goodluvv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Anyone known the name of the song played in this episode Question The one softly playing when Boruto is talking to Ohnoki. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although they're created to act as stand-ins for non-synthetic beings, every Akuta we've met so far displays clear emotions and is highly cognizant of their fleeting mortality. As such, expecting them to die in place of human shinobi is exceptionally cruel

Not only that, but they don't all seem to even like humans much, even as they try to imitate them. So it's hard to imagine them being willing to lay down their lives for them, unless that's programming they can't resist, which would be even more cruel. Not to mention tying in with Mitsuki's quest for will.
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I find it really hard to sympathise with Ohnoki. I understand that this is a man with good intentions who can't bear to see young people die in times in peace, but creating and enslaving clearly intelligent life, beings capable of developing emotions who address him as "dear father", is going too overboard. Not to mention that when he's told that his creations killed innocent people, all he says is "Yeah, that was a shame".

I want to like this guy (his scenes with Boruto in episode 84 were legitimately endearing) but the writing is making it difficult. If they had shown that he's aware of the inhumanity of his actions and that he's consumed by guilt, maybe I would like him better, but so far the way I feel about the character doesn't align at all with the way the show is portraying him.

Then again, I've never watched Naruto, so maybe there are bits of characterisation that I'm missing. As in, maybe this guy was shown to be kind of a psychopath in the original series or something Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ethe Kage have always been shown as willing to make "sacrifices" for peace, and the older the kage, the more morally compromised they were willing to get for "peace's sake." The Third Hokage was always portrayed as a admirable leader and even a kind, decent person in his personal life, but the plans he signed off on for "peace" are reprehensible, war-criminal level atrocities. Not considering the lives of other villages' ninja as "precious" as one's own ninja is also in line with the characterization of kages. Not even considering that "artificial humans" are as important as "real" humans, equal in sentience and capable of experiencing cruelty, seems perfectly in line with how kage and, let's face it, some people in real life might think.

Which isn't all that much of a stretch of real life world leaders and politicians, to be honest. I recently dug up Harry Truman's memoir from my late grandmother's book collection (she loved memoirs and biographies), and read the chapter about his decision to use the atomic bomb. He was incredibly excited to use the new weapon, and didn't give any thought to civilian casualties or long term damage to the area. He had to be convinced that bombing Kyoto, his first choice target, would've been a bad idea (too much cultural signicance to the Japanese, MacArthur told him, which is a bit of an understatement), and America would have used 3 bombs if the weather would have supported the bomber pilots well enough.

So...I'm not finding it too hard to separate the tough leader persona who calls Leafs casualties "unfortunate" from the kindly grandfather-type who cries at the thought of his own village's ninja casualties (which I'm assuming include's Kurotsuchi's own kid(s), thus why leadership skipped to his granddaughter).

I liked Boruto's camping trip with grandpa Stone (who, by kage standards, aint half bad). I do hope he learns that "artificial humans" have wills of their own, though, especially if this is his last hurrah!
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Not considering the lives of other villages' ninja as "precious" as one's own ninja is also in line with the characterization of kages. Not even considering that "artificial humans" are as important as "real" humans, equal in sentience and capable of experiencing cruelty, seems perfectly in line with how kage and, let's face it, some people in real life might think. Which isn't all that much of a stretch of real life world leaders and politicians, to be honest.

(...)

So...I'm not finding it too hard to separate the tough leader persona who calls Leafs casualties "unfortunate" from the kindly grandfather-type who cries at the thought of his own village's ninja casualties (which I'm assuming include's Kurotsuchi's own kid(s), thus why leadership skipped to his granddaughter).

The thing is, Ohnoki never gave me the impression that he was that kind of kage. He quickly took a liking to Boruto and Sarada (two ninjas from another village) and acted like a grandfather to them, and when he talked to Boruto about what a handful Naruto was, it almost sounded like a grandpa talking about his own son. So I was expecting a bigger reaction out of him when he was told that so many ninjas from Naruto and Boruto's village died because of him.

I really appreciate your comment about the previous/older kage in the original series though; it puts things into a whole new perspective. I should've taken that into account before judging Ohnoki.

Also, I just remembered that back in episode seventy-something, he told Boruto and co. that he had a grandchild who died when he was their age. How could I forget that? He never said how he died, but I'm sure we'll find out that he was a young ninja who went down in battle. Now that changes everything and it makes me feel bad for being so harsh on the ol' guy.

Quote:
I do hope he learns that "artificial humans" have wills of their own, though

Yeah, I'm sure it'll happen. I was worried at first because I wasn't sympathising with the character, which would make me feel nothing during his redeeming moment. But now I'm looking forward to it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Forgot the detail about the grandson, too! I'm sure we'll get a tragic flashback before the arc is through.

Spoilers for Naruto Shippuden spoiler[The Third Hokage signed off on the Uchiha massacre, including children, retired ninja, and housewives like Sasuke's mom. Everyone besides Sasuke. It was Danzo's idea, but Sarutobi was cool with it. And, yeah, the Uchiha were inciting a rebellion, but they were still Leaf nin, and many weren't combatants. and they forced Itachi Uchiha to do in his own clan, including his parents and entire extended family (they married cousins, so they were all related Razz *cough*).
That's war crime level cruelty in my book.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Assuming the old man makes it through this story alive, it seems unlikely that he'll be fully forgiven for what he's done, especially since his creations have murdered Leaf shinobi. However, regardless of whether he lives or dies, his role in the Naruto-verse has been permanently altered.

Ah, but they were red shirt shinobi, so I doubt that will have any bearing on anything at all. I fully expect that, assuming he doesn't get a tragic death along with a deathbed redemption, he'll see the light and be fully rehabbed as a character. If they surprise me, I'll be surprised.

Still, I was happy to see Boruto pointing out the flaws in his attitude. He was so polite about it though, it felt a little out of character.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
For the last time, THIS IS CANON as confirmed by Ikemoto and Kishimoto. Boruto doesn't do filler arcs, it's adapting scripts that are canon to the series. The Boruto manga is a monthly series, no matter how much filler Pierrot did it wouldn't save an anime adaptation that came out weekly.

Their solution was to have the anime and manga essentially be their own stand alone products telling different stories (both of them canon) in the universe, with the anime adapting scripts and storylines that the manga would never have time for since its a monthly series (it literally can only focus on a single plotline).

Seriously if you consider everything that hasn't appeared in the manga filler then 95 percent of the Boruto anime so far is filler which is ridiculous. Previous anime only arcs like the first arc with Sumire and the Mist Village field trip arcs are actually referenced in the manga itself and confirmed to be canon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have a feeling he's not going to make it out of this arc alive, but I'm sure it will be a heroic passing.

And so it was. Which is too bad, since it seemed like they wasted several opportunities to disarm Kokuyou from those wicked tonfa. He wouldn't have been much of an adversary without them.

Mitsuki seems to be planning to put a stop to all this. He seemed sad when talking to Sekiei about him getting a heart. :/ Though he's so expressionless it's hard to tell. (am I the only one creeped out by him smiling broadly in the final photo in the end credits?)
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
For the last time, THIS IS CANON as confirmed by Ikemoto and Kishimoto. Boruto doesn't do filler arcs, it's adapting scripts that are canon to the series. The Boruto manga is a monthly series, no matter how much filler Pierrot did it wouldn't save an anime adaptation that came out weekly.

You're right, but I wouldn't consider these anime-original arcs to be in the same canon.

First off, let me preface this by saying that the writers pretty much confirmed that it's canon. That alone should be enough for people who don't go by the "death of the author" mantra. However, it's more likely that when they mentioned "canon" they're just using the term as lip service to get keep fans of the original series watching, just like how it was done with Dragonball GT (which might end up officially being canon depending on how Super goes).

So basically there are two canons: the anime and the manga, just like the way the Dragonball Super manga and anime are, as they are both too significantly contradictory to ever be considered one and the same.

They are definitely not using the same script though (it's pretty obvious), and the script is definitely no longer being supervised by Kishimoto. This is not a DBSuper situation where they're both running on bullet-points and are tasked to fill in the blanks. Studio Pierrot is likely handling certain anime-original arcs on their own, and would probably run their ideas by Kodachi (not Ikemoto) whenever they feel like it.

If you're anything like me, I just pick and choose the "best" parts of both versions and make that my canon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The moment where the boys attempt to pound fists, only for Sekiei's fist to crumble to dust before making contact with Mitsuki's, is arguably this arc's most impactful exchange.

Best moment in the series to date. Broke my heart, it did. Crying or Very sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
So they surprised me a little by choosing the "tragic death along with a deathbed redemption" route. I am not displeased by that.

Quote:
From beginning to end, nearly every phase of the fight against Ku features fluid animation and on-point visuals.

Did we watch the same episode? I kept thinking that they'd outsourced the whole thing to a middle school class by letting them watch one episode and then making them draw from memory what the characters looked like. The fight scenes disguised the off-model apocalypse a bit, but still looked like someone learning how to use 3D cgi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 31