• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't More Races Represented In Anime And Manga?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
One thing no one has brought up is that outside of Japanese media, regular Japanese people (non-yakuza, -samurai, -geisha, or -WWII soldiers) aren't really that well represented in international media.

Yes they are! They're the ones with thick glasses and big teeth carrying 10 cameras and taking photos of fire extinguishers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
One thing no one has brought up is that outside of Japanese media, regular Japanese people (non-yakuza, -samurai, -geisha, or -WWII soldiers) aren't really that well represented in international media. That basically leaves the Japanese to represent themselves.

That is so true. I'm thinking to all the Japanese representation I've seen in film or TV in the past 5 years, and most of it are honorable Japanese people, some who either carry katanas or are expert martial artists. Not many Japanese just being regular men and women.

Current examples? Heroes Reborn and the upcoming Suicide Squad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
That, I'd say, is attributable to how there isn't that big a Japanese population in most parts of the world outside of Japan. If you want to put in a Japanese character in, say, London, you've got to explain why he or she is there and make it narratively important as to why this character is Japanese. Otherwise, that character would look out of place.

On the other hand, you have Lilo & Stitch (both the movie and the Disney Channel series), which is set in Hawaii, which DOES have a large Japanese population. To tha end, you have a bunch of characters with Japanese ethnicities and Japanese names (like Mrs. Hashimoto and her "cats"). They don't need an explanation; they're in Hawaii.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow I had no clue how much of a discussion my email would bring! A lot of you are very knowledgeable!

I would also like to point out that part of my email was taken out by Answerman so a huge point was missed. Only the racial part stayed in, which was just to help non-artists understand the colors I was originally speaking of. My Response video goes over this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9zYBJpS4bA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22