• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tiger and Bunny (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This episode was awesome and intriguing. A lot of interesting things happened. spoiler[I wonder how Tiger and Bunny will fare against the robot?]

Shocked Only 2 episodes left, but weren't the last two episodes being shown in theatres on September 17th? Or just the last episode? And if just the last, will be be a 50 minute long episode?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
spoiler[I'm more surprised that he apparently had the time to build an overcomplicated, hugely impractical deathtrap.] Tiger and Bunny is a great take on superhero stuff with that anime style, but it doesn't have to be that slavish in following tropes.

If I'm guessing correctly, the death trap isn't really either huge or impractical. spoiler[They've only got exploding remote-controlled collars on, which I imagine are fairly simple in execution. Granted, the spiky rooms are ridiculous, but I suspect that's more for intimidation purposes than being the death trap itself.]

I feel like this show is repeatedly letting me down. Why are they acting like it's a reveal at all that new Tiger is a robot? spoiler[We've known since at least last episode when we were shown Maverick providing its voice,] assuming we hadn't figured it out immediately when it appeared.

Not only does it deprive of us of a potentially incredible action sequence, but not animating H-01 fighting the other heroes is lazy writing that violates the most basic rule of writing: show don't tell. It's almost as disappointing as spoiler[the way Barnaby gets his memory back, which was essentially: dramatic plot convenience. ]

I also feel like this episode was stretched far too much. The "fight" between Kotetsu and Barnaby was too much schlocky "remember our friendship" speech, and then the rest is just dramatic build up to a showdown that doesn't have anywhere near as much tension as it should. Maybe I'd believe that H-01 was a threat if I had been able to see him in action yet.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
Uh yeah, after the Joker's set-up in the Dark Knight, it's a bit... shameful to try and play this classic trope so... simply. It's kind of obvious.

I wonder if Agnes is really still under the control of the memory power thing. She might be pretending, to avoid getting brainwashed/eliminated by Maverick.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23: spoiler[I thought that Barnaby's memory was recovered in a realistic, yet funny, manner. Maverick himself said that one little contradiction could reverse his memory manipulation. Of course the Bitch!Slap of Friendship wouldn't work, but "Bunny-chan janai, Barnaby da!" (Gintama fans, anyone? Laughing ) would make Bunny reconsider things. Kotetsu was the only person who called him Bunny, after all.

But, ugh! The off-screen fight! How did the heroes manage to be defeated by H-01 without dying while protecting Kaede from harm? Guess we'll never know. And The Dark Knight set-up? I thought they were trying not to rip off any particular superhero story straight out. Rolling Eyes The time limit was set at when H-01 defeats Barnaby and Tiger, so if Barnaby and Tiger defeat H-01, do the bombs still go off?

I hope Lunatic comes back soon. He's very intriguing...

Dorcas_Aurelia: I got the impression that the spiky rooms were in the Justice tower as temporary holding cells for the criminals they catch, but I could be wrong.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Episode 23: spoiler[ but "Bunny-chan janai, Barnaby da!" (Gintama fans, anyone? Laughing ) would make Bunny reconsider things.]

I didn't get a Katsura vibe from that at all, actually Confused
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Episode 23: spoiler[ but "Bunny-chan janai, Barnaby da!" (Gintama fans, anyone? Laughing ) would make Bunny reconsider things.]

I didn't get a Katsura vibe from that at all, actually Confused

Aw, he's done it before! I guess it wasn't funny enough. Razz
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I watched episode 24 and all I have to say is...SUUUUNNNNNNRRRRIIIIISSSEEE!!!!

spoiler[ I really, REALLY hope this is a fake out and Kotetsu really isn;t dead, but with this being a Sunrise series and all it;s hard to say for sure(not to mention the timing for killing someone off is perfect). Though if he dies I guess Kaede probably would be the hero for season 2]

I need a moment. I actually cried a bit at the end of this...
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no, no, no, no...please say that did not just happen! *sheds some tears*

I am with DivineKing on this, spoiler[really hoping that Kotetsu isn't dead, but everything is leading up to be that way. And, when they revealed that his powers were declining I wondered if they might kill Tiger off. It just seems sort of fitting especially if Kaede takes his place.] But oh my god...now the story is just screwing with my emotions! Is it next Saturday already?
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
First thoughts on #24:

Voting for spoiler[not dead, but won't guess at how.

Seeing Barnaby cradling Kotetsu and shouting rather than, oh, say, RUSHING HIM TO A HOSPITAL *BEFORE* HE DIES, I started thinking, I've seen this in so many shows, wouldn't it be interesting to see a minor superhero character whose power actually is healing people by yelling at them?]

Since next week's title isn't actually an old saying like the rest, the SO offers this one: spoiler["The trouble with immortality is you have to be dead to get it."]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PrimalX3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A really good, but sad episode. spoiler[I hope it's a happy ending, but I wouldn't mind a sad ending either. I guess it's up to the writers.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Anyone getting thoughts that spoiler[Tiger and Barnaby's match with the robot] seemed similar to spoiler[Goku and Piccolo's battle against Raditz in DBZ where the two heroes were getting plowed down, one of them held the baddie down so the other hero can fire off an attack to mow down said enemy and the former hero being mortally wounded as a result?] That was something a friend of mine remarked on when he seen the latest episode of the series just now. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, well... lots of people have called it. Don't know if they'll actually get around to spoiler[killing the most likeable character in their franchise], but apparently past record indicates they could, and since we only have 1 episode left, they could be all up against Maverick and whatever forces he has left, in the name of their lost hero. This certainly is a big cliffhanger.

Quote:
minor superhero character whose power actually is healing people by yelling at them?

Best idea I've heard recently. Minor character? He'd be the most important guy around, what with all the yelling going on Razz
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Anyone getting thoughts that spoiler[Tiger and Barnaby's match with the robot] seemed similar to spoiler[Goku and Piccolo's battle against Raditz in DBZ where the two heroes were getting plowed down, one of them held the baddie down so the other hero can fire off an attack to mow down said enemy and the former hero being mortally wounded as a result?] That was something a friend of mine remarked on when he seen the latest episode of the series just now. Laughing

That was my first thought too. spoiler[At least Bunny didn't waste time charging his attack.] Laughing

spoiler[I seriously teared up at the end of episode 24, though. I don't know what to hope for...It'd be impressive if they actually did kill him off, but I don't want him to die! Can't he at least come back with cyborg parts or something? Maybe use the robot technology for some good? It'd be fitting, I think. ]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm banking my hopes in disbelief right now, but if I'm wrong spoiler[that is one heck of a final statement to go out on. ]

I'm a little disappointed in Sky High. Out of all the heroes, the giant ham seems to me the last person who should be saying "at least one of us should survive." It does strike me as appropriate, though, that Blue Rose would be the first to definitively resolve not to push the button and place her faith in Kotetsu and Barnaby.

spoiler[Glad the mad scientist guy is down now. His rantings were a little too annoying and cliche to be enjoyable.]

spoiler[Fully expecting Lunatic to bust in while the heroes are confronting Maverick, assuming that's where this goes next. He'll at least take a shot at killing him, although I'm pretty sure the way the show is leaning the heroes will protect Maverick so that he can be properly tried and sentenced. Although given how Jake went out, they might not succeed.]
newotaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
This may be an inappropriate time to mention this, but:

spoiler[Kotetsu to Bunny: You have really pretty eyelashes (or something along those lines).

OH GOD ALL THE KOTETSU+BARNABY DOUJINSHI! Shocked ]

Also spoiler[I'm wondering what the "final battle" will be. Unless Maverick has a whole host of other androids, or he has some really awesome second power, he's not going to be able to put up much of a fight. I'm also wondering how Lunatic is going to get involved... Or as someone mentioned earlier, Lunatic may be the final battle...]

We're almost at the end! Can't wait to see how it finishes!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25