• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Why is this show so extremely highly rated?

This isn't a rhetorical question and I actually want to know the answer to this. Back when this show first aired, I watched the first episode soon after it came out. I decided it was rather weird, made no sense to me and I didn't understand anything that was going on, and I had little motivation to continue watching. I never picked it up again after that. Given my previous expectations and the one episode I just watched, it stuck in my mind as a show that might turn out okay at best (bitter taste and all still left from Chaos;Head, which I watched the entire thing and didn't find particularly great).

Imagine my astonishment when I saw it at #2 on ANN's Top 50 anime list a couple of month's later (I've been out of anime for a little while so I never checked the charts before then). It wasn't just highly rated, it was exceedingly highly rated, at over a 9.0, with a solid number of ratings to boot. Before diving into the show again, I'm curious of everyone else's opinions of this. Did you all find this show great from the very beginning, or did it also seem not great to you initially as well? Does it pick up quickly/get a lot better as it progresses? Does it make a lot more sense as you go on, or did it make sense to all of you right from the very first episode?

I'm genuinely really curious about this. I'm fairly confident 898 raters giving the show over a 9.0 can't be wrong, so I'm really interested in knowing what I'm missing and if other people shared my thoughts initially as well.

I find it very interesting as well. Though I liked it very much I found it to be the second weakest among the anime in the top 10 (I watched 9 out of the 10, all are excellent) but Steins Gate is the least memorable out of these. I guess Stein's Gate is so highly rated because it is extremely well made and flows very nicely, being extremely entertaining and thrilling. I would agree with the comments made before that it is relatively light in terms of substance if compared to other stuff that is highly praised (such as most of the other titles in the top 10).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frouella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Why is this show so extremely highly rated?

This isn't a rhetorical question and I actually want to know the answer to this. Back when this show first aired, I watched the first episode soon after it came out. I decided it was rather weird, made no sense to me and I didn't understand anything that was going on, and I had little motivation to continue watching. I never picked it up again after that. Given my previous expectations and the one episode I just watched, it stuck in my mind as a show that might turn out okay at best (bitter taste and all still left from Chaos;Head, which I watched the entire thing and didn't find particularly great).

Imagine my astonishment when I saw it at #2 on ANN's Top 50 anime list a couple of month's later (I've been out of anime for a little while so I never checked the charts before then). It wasn't just highly rated, it was exceedingly highly rated, at over a 9.0, with a solid number of ratings to boot. Before diving into the show again, I'm curious of everyone else's opinions of this. Did you all find this show great from the very beginning, or did it also seem not great to you initially as well? Does it pick up quickly/get a lot better as it progresses? Does it make a lot more sense as you go on, or did it make sense to all of you right from the very first episode?

I'm genuinely really curious about this. I'm fairly confident 898 raters giving the show over a 9.0 can't be wrong, so I'm really interested in knowing what I'm missing and if other people shared my thoughts initially as well.

Yeah, I just finished this series myself, and I don't get it, either. I haven't been watching a whole lot of anime for the past few years, so I checked the Top 10 to see if anything good had come out recently that I had missed. When I saw the rating for Steins;Gate, I was immediately intrigued: This was a series that beat out FMA? Rurouni Kenshin? Haruhi? Bebop?? This, I had to see!

So, maybe my expectations were unrealistically high. I just figured if this show was going to share the same rarified air as the rest of the list, then it had to be spectacular, no? And, it is good -- I'm a big fan of Miyano Mamoru, and I thought he did a great job playing the mad scientist and conveying a huge range of emotions. I thought the timey-wimey stuff was handled...reasonably well (I'm not a huge stickler for absolute adherence to the Laws of Physics; a few hand waves here and there are fine with me). I was able to become invested in the characters and got kicked in the feels a few times for my trouble. I liked that the ending spoiler[actually included intimate personal relationships, and not just some dating sim/moe/hikikomori BS. ]

It's just...that's not enough for #1. I've seen every other anime on that list (with the exception of Clannad, but I'm planning on watching it soon), and they all, at the very least, kept me thinking of them for days afterward, mulling over scenes and characters and possibilities. They made me want to tell everyone I knew about how amazing they were. At the risk of sounding corny or overdramatic, some of those anime actually changed my life. With Steins;Gate, though, I was usually thinking, "Is this it?" I forced myself to sit through the first nine or 10 episodes, simply because I figured something interesting had to happen soon. And it did seem to pick up after spoiler[Mayuri was killed the first time], but the number of episodes dedicated to light-hearted set-up and otaku jokes seemed to be pretty disproportionate to the overall story.

I realize that all of this is subjective, that everyone has different ideas about what makes an anime great, but still, I can't help thinking that one of these things is not like the ooootherrrrrs... Or maybe that 2011 just wasn't a very good year for anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Word from the wise: If something is in the Top Anime list, put together from random ratings from a large community, you shouldn't take it as "OMG, this will be the best anime ever!!11", but just in the extremely black (bad) and white (good) sense that it generally falls within the white. There is no way in hell that one of those lists in going to match everyone's taste so a grain of salt or the whole shaker is heavily advised. None of the stuff ANNs top 10 are in my Top 10, but most of them would at least rate better than a "Good".

I personally liked Steins Gate because:

-I love storylines about spoiler[time travel and parallel universes.]
-I like romance subplots.
-I like life or death drama.
-It makes me feel a varying range of emotions.
-I like character development.
-I like Anime where the main cast are not teenagers in school, for once.
-The diverse cast of interesting characters.
-Makise Kurisu is an incredibly attractive character; brains and beauty all in one package.
-I like Good animation.
-I like the music, and the opening and ending themes.
-I like Dr. Pepper. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 25 of 25