• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clever/Intelligent Character Tournament: Pairings/Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Okay, I'm sending in my bracket. It was a beast to fill out, but still about TEN TIMES EASIER than the one for the duo tournament. (I know that's going to bite me in the butt later when I have the worst score on the list or something.)

Keep yer mitts off the last place spot, that one is mine. Wink

I'll arm-wrestle you for it! Cool Honestly, though, I'm experimenting with the method making my bracket.

Last time, I chose early winners based on my familiarity with them (notoriety) and chose later winners based on their popularity mixed with a little favoritism from me.

This time, I chose early winners based solely on use of intelligence/deserval to take the round (I knew way more characters, thank goodness) and picked later winners amongst many of the top seeds based completely on favoritism. So, let's see what method works better! Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

Keep yer mitts off the last place spot, that one is mine. Wink

And the second to last spot is mine. Well, hopefully not this time. I tried to research more for this tournament. I hope both Derek and I do much better this time. ><

Well, since the bottom two spots are already taken, I guess I'll settle for third to last...same as last time! Wink Laughing
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Entries Needed (Group A - Updated):
Yang Wenli, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Rin, Please Save My Earth
Makubex, Get Backers
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral
Ichigo Morino, Please Teacher

. . .And preferably Sailor Mercury, too.

And for Dorcas_Aurelia: I will be filling out a bracket myself this time, but I will probably not be doing so until the last minute because I want to make sure everything is properly set up for the game first.

Ugh, I'm not going to be able to get one done on Ichigo Morino like I thought I could... my weekend was just too chaotic to do it. Sorry for sucking at life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Okay, I'm sending in my bracket. It was a beast to fill out, but still about TEN TIMES EASIER than the one for the duo tournament.

I finally filled mine out, and I found this much harder actually. I didn't get an official one filled out last time, but I felt much more confident in my answers, I didn't know a lot of these characters, so many were guesses. I am more sure of the bigger names, but so many match-ups I was clueless on.
Oh well, it's still fun to see how you do I think.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I have tried to write something about Yang Wen-li but I’m not good when it comes to writing. If someone may do it better, then go ahead.

You really shouldn't underrated yourself, and besides, I wasn't looking for writing perfection anyway. What you offered for both Yang and Eyes was just fine. (And I'll have entries shorter than the one for Eyes in the Guide.

I still have to look up one character that I have on DVD, but otherwise the Guide for Group A is now done. Watch this space in days to come for my "need" list for the later Groups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku and bonbonsrus bring the minigame up to 15.

spoiler[No love for Twenty Faces, apparently. Sure, out of all the series represented in the tournament, it's been seen by the fewest people, but it's not like Patabor is way up there in popularity.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
JesuOtaku and bonbonsrus bring the minigame up to 15.

spoiler[No love for Twenty Faces, apparently. Sure, out of all the series represented in the tournament, it's been seen by the fewest people, but it's not like Patabor is way up there in popularity.]

Well, no, but the problem for spoiler[Twenty Faces, for me, is that the character himself has that "supplicant/mentor role" and even if he is massively intelligent enough to head the core of thieves in question, he's absent for a significant amount of the series, and his list of contributions to the plot was...minimal. He does a lot of talking and watching things.

Now, this may be flawed info. Obviously, I haven't seen the show. I've seen Patlabor, though. But I researched the heck out of that character, (and all the others) and couldn't find much that he actually did.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I've seen Patlabor, though. But I researched the heck out of that character, (and all the others) and couldn't find much that he actually did.

Well, that's the thing about Goto. You don't generally see much of his overt thinking, usually because he is several steps ahead of everybody.

Most of the time, when people are running around, losing their heads, there is Goto, coffee cup in hand, looking calmly at the disturbance, then issuing one or two orders in a casual, indolent manner. And then, wham, instant solution. It never seems like he totally wakes up, he just tosses out precisely the right orders at the right time, without losing his cool.

I want to be like him.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
I've seen Patlabor, though. But I researched the heck out of that character, (and all the others) and couldn't find much that he actually did.

Well, that's the thing about Goto. You don't generally see much of his overt thinking, usually because he is several steps ahead of everybody.

Most of the time, when people are running around, losing their heads, there is Goto, coffee cup in hand, looking calmly at the disturbance, then issuing one or two orders in a casual, indolent manner. And then, wham, instant solution. It never seems like he totally wakes up, he just tosses out precisely the right orders at the right time, without losing his cool.

I want to be like him.

- abunai

Oh, no! I think Kiichi is VERY proactive. My stab there was aimed at Twenty Faces, who honestly doesn't appear to do much. Like I said, I've seen enough of Patlabor to be impressed by the top captain. (That's what happens when you misplace modifiers...except that there were multiple sentences involved here.)

Goto isn't busy-handed, but he fights with words and executive order, just a little like Yugo Beppo, only not annoying. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, people. I think I've got most of the images lined up for Group A, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one for Mr. X from Argento Soma. If anyone has this on DVD or fansubs, please get a good screen shot of him, post it online, and either post the link to it here or PM me.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Jesu, I totally understand what you're saying. I made a bracket just for the fun of it, and I didn't pick him to win either, which means that out of 17 brackets (zalis is in now), only two characters weren't picked by anyone to move to the second round. One of those is up against a seeded character, the other one is spoiler[Twenty Faces].
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah Key, I would have appreciated advance warning. I didn't have time to get good quality pictures, the following two are the best I've got:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/Izayuukan/vlcsnap-2450211.png

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/Izayuukan/vlcsnap-2450430.png
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
If I had to take a wild guess as to who the other "rejected" fellow is, I'd say spoiler[Sa Sakujun], but I can't be sure. He's the least impressive "secondary" choice, and he's up against a VERY well-known mastermind.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
That'll work, thanks.

I think I have everything ready to go, so the tourney should start right on time.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
If I had to take a wild guess as to who the other "rejected" fellow is, I'd say spoiler[Sa Sakujun], but I can't be sure. He's the least impressive "secondary" choice, and he's up against a VERY well-known mastermind.

You'll find out soon enough.

spoiler[It's not, btw.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 28