• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
You think whoever wrote this series was like "Oh yeah. Inuyasha fans are gonna love this sequel. Who even needs Inuyasha and Kagome in the story?"?

If next week is the legit finale, then this must be one of the worst anime sequels next to Toei's Saintia Sho (even the manga author of Saintia Sho had to apologize for Toei)

Hey, what about Last Exile: Fam and Eureka Seven AO?

Fam was mad decent, even if it in no way lived up to the lofty heights of the original. It was also good in spite of Fam, not because of her. She felt like an afterthought in the events of her own story.

Eureka Seven AO was just bad. Which I still find funny because before the shows aired I really thought it was going to be the other way around. With Fam being the letdown and AO being good. Lots of wasted potential there.
pip25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, the finale was disappointing. The last thing Yashahime needed for this episode was a dramatic fight scene, especially considering there was no one to root for - it's glaringly obvious now that neither side is a true antagonist in this story.

We are going to need to establish character motivations in the second season ASAP, because this is simply not enough. Zero and Riku have been described in good detail, but Zero's motivations are rather petty and seem unlikely to be the main source of conflict around Inuyasha's and Sesshomaru's family, while Riku seems to be utterly devoted to her, nothing more or less. We are at the point where the fact that we don't know why certain characters, such as Kirinmaru and Sesshomaru himself are doing what they're doing is detrimental to the entire show. I hope season two will change that; the mystery is interesting, the resolution might be awesome later on, but we have much to do before we can get there.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Something not mentioned in the review that really got me was the show repeating Towa's "life is hard for outcasts like me" speech. Apparently they were just that proud of that line. Like some writers had just taken a creative writing course at their local community college and thought "If we have a character say something at the end, that makes it a profound statement on the show's themes". Forgetting the part about actually including said theme anywhere else in the show.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Except maybe for Moroha, who always has and always will deserve better than Yashahime.

Truer words have never been spoken, man she was completely wasted.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
If I may add something as someone who has read the reviews and disagrees with a lot of the lambasting being on place.

Ok, yes, Yashahime has issues, particularly when it comes to explaining some things (or not explaining them), that said I do not think the characters actions are as baseless or strange as people believe them to be, like for example:

Towa clearly has a crush on Riku and you'd think that she would be more aware of this as a city girl.........that's not quite how it works. It's been clearly stated that Towa's only interaction with boys is by beating the living shit out of them since they just love picking a fight with her. She's always been a tonboy who has earned fame as an athlete (she has a shitton of trophies) and with every male she knows short of her family coming after her to show her she's not hotshit. So then she comes across the first male that genuinely treats her properly, it is obvious she would not completely realize the feelings she has, since she's emotionally immature.

Zero acts on a rather contradicting manner, between rejecting the stones and reclaiming them, wanting to die and wanting to off the girls. Turns out, there IS a common theme behind all these things. Zero is a nihilist, she has lost faith, she doesn't trust on any shit anymore ever since the grief of losing Toga was too much for her and made her wish on the Shikon Pearl. She's jealous (as Sesshomaru's Mom says) of the girls and pretty much everyone from Toga's succession since they are living proof of Toga's implied rejection of Zero (since she crushed on Toga but never got anywhere), so where does that leave us next? Spread misery......Zero is deep down miserable and wants others to suffer. She was delighted her death would also cause Rin's death (as a result of whatever thread-related curse she used, like she did with Towa) since it would hurt Sesshomaru. She snapped and broke Tenseiga which was, very petty really.

This is why Kirinmaru's had enough. Dude follows a conduct of honor, and his sister sinks to really miserable lows, of course he will call her out of her shit and tell her to fudge off. But this is not what Zero wants. As for why he fights the girls.......If I had to say something about why they have to fight it off, I'd have to say fate. Kirinmaru is prophecied to be off'd by a Hanyo that trascends time, we have 3 hybrid girls here, all of whom are Toga's granddaughters. Kirinmaru is linked to the Dream Butterfly and for better or worse it is an obstacle the girls will have to surpass if they wanna grow in any capacity and restore whatever is of their lives to normalcy. Also the bulk of Kirinmaru's actions are goaded by Zero, she's the one that has actually motivated this whole conflict up.

Riku is loyal to Zero. We don't know the full extent of this, but Riku acting for what he thinks is Zero's sake is not a bad thing, and is fairly coherent as Zero is totally uncontrollable and needs to be saved from herself.

The Windmill of Time and Azusa or whatever the thing they are........it really felt like a kick in the nuts for them to throw new terms without disclosing anything. Ditto Totosai and Jaken.

I do hope the second season is better at getting this story in order and place. We have a base to work upon, but it really needs to be solidified. Personally I've had fun with the series, but yes, it does need to be better in what they wanna say and how. That said thanks to 2nd season being a thing I may have my tiny little wish granted that I thought I'd not: See Shippo again.

Well those are my thoughts on the matter.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The weirdest part of the finale to me was Kirinmaru stabbing Setsuna and then acting all *Pikachu face* shocked and disappointed that this poor girl was dying. *YOU KILLED HER, DUDE!* But, y’know, killing Setsuna was sure useful in getting her sister and cousin to go Super Saiyan. Totally worth it, if only she didn’t have to stay dead!

And of course she won’t stay dead. It was obvious to me that Jaken got Totosai to fix Tenseiga off-screen. And the one good thing Sesshomaru can do as a dad is give his resurrection sword to someone who actually values life. That’s a good gift, Towa, almost makes up for every birthday and holiday your deadbeat dad has ignored.

Zero is a bitter, jealous masochist. If Grampyasha couldn’t satisfy her by f***ing her, maybe his good-for nothing (but at least full demon) son can satisfy her by stabbing her. I’m not kink shaming, but ...no, I’m totally kink shaming. Going after the son because you couldn’t get with his daddy and asking him to penetrate you with his sword is gross, Butterfly-Woman. Also, what are you doing with his wife? (Just note, I’m pretty sure Zero is a Butterfly-Woman, *not* Spider-Woman; those threads are cocoon silk, not spidey’s webbing. They just work like Spider-Man webs because ...that’s *cool.*)

Riku loves his mom even though no one else does, least of all herself. It would be sweet if she weren’t trying to kill his girlfriend but, I get it, dysfunctional families are hard. There are terse Thanksgiving dinners and there’s your uncle/boss stabbing your mom while you try to figure out how to keep her from killing your gf without actually killing her yourself.

Why is Rin crying, Jaken? Maybe she realized she’s been stuck in a tree for over a decade and missed her girls’ childhood?! Who wouldn’t cry.

At least we get to see her, Inuyasha and Kagome are MIA, in a pearl somewhere.

So I’ll keep watching, despite myself. *I* still love the girls (even if the *writers* hate poor Moroha) and I’m curious if the time travel stuff will come together well in season 2. It probably won’t but a fan can dream!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I figured out why Totosai was relevant right at the end of the season.

Crappy foreshadowing, but foreshadowing nonetheless.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
BGMaxie wrote:
If I may add something as someone who has read the reviews and disagrees with a lot of the lambasting being on place.

Ok, yes, Yashahime has issues, particularly when it comes to explaining some things (or not explaining them), that said I do not think the characters actions are as baseless or strange as people believe them to be, like for example:

Towa clearly has a crush on Riku and you'd think that she would be more aware of this as a city girl.........that's not quite how it works. It's been clearly stated that Towa's only interaction with boys is by beating the living shit out of them since they just love picking a fight with her. She's always been a tonboy who has earned fame as an athlete (she has a shitton of trophies) and with every male she knows short of her family coming after her to show her she's not hotshit. So then she comes across the first male that genuinely treats her properly, it is obvious she would not completely realize the feelings she has, since she's emotionally immature.

Zero acts on a rather contradicting manner, between rejecting the stones and reclaiming them, wanting to die and wanting to off the girls. Turns out, there IS a common theme behind all these things. Zero is a nihilist, she has lost faith, she doesn't trust on any shit anymore ever since the grief of losing Toga was too much for her and made her wish on the Shikon Pearl. She's jealous (as Sesshomaru's Mom says) of the girls and pretty much everyone from Toga's succession since they are living proof of Toga's implied rejection of Zero (since she crushed on Toga but never got anywhere), so where does that leave us next? Spread misery......Zero is deep down miserable and wants others to suffer. She was delighted her death would also cause Rin's death (as a result of whatever thread-related curse she used, like she did with Towa) since it would hurt Sesshomaru. She snapped and broke Tenseiga which was, very petty really.

This is why Kirinmaru's had enough. Dude follows a conduct of honor, and his sister sinks to really miserable lows, of course he will call her out of her shit and tell her to fudge off. But this is not what Zero wants. As for why he fights the girls.......If I had to say something about why they have to fight it off, I'd have to say fate. Kirinmaru is prophecied to be off'd by a Hanyo that trascends time, we have 3 hybrid girls here, all of whom are Toga's granddaughters. Kirinmaru is linked to the Dream Butterfly and for better or worse it is an obstacle the girls will have to surpass if they wanna grow in any capacity and restore whatever is of their lives to normalcy. Also the bulk of Kirinmaru's actions are goaded by Zero, she's the one that has actually motivated this whole conflict up.

Riku is loyal to Zero. We don't know the full extent of this, but Riku acting for what he thinks is Zero's sake is not a bad thing, and is fairly coherent as Zero is totally uncontrollable and needs to be saved from herself.

The Windmill of Time and Azusa or whatever the thing they are........it really felt like a kick in the nuts for them to throw new terms without disclosing anything. Ditto Totosai and Jaken.

I do hope the second season is better at getting this story in order and place. We have a base to work upon, but it really needs to be solidified. Personally I've had fun with the series, but yes, it does need to be better in what they wanna say and how. That said thanks to 2nd season being a thing I may have my tiny little wish granted that I thought I'd not: See Shippo again.

Yours isn’t the first post like this and there’s a big general problem with it, and that’s that you think this was all somehow missed by others. And it’s not. It’s shorthand to say they’ve done sloppy writing and motivation work because everything you just listed was done sloppily and haphazardly. These details being told in such an off-hand way or out of character with their actions at every point is why the show is such a mess.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
BGMaxie wrote:

Yours isn’t the first post like this and there’s a big general problem with it, and that’s that you think this was all somehow missed by others. And it’s not. It’s shorthand to say they’ve done sloppy writing and motivation work because everything you just listed was done sloppily and haphazardly. These details being told in such an off-hand way or out of character with their actions at every point is why the show is such a mess.

tell that to those that got burned by eureka 7 ao and currently, TPN season 2!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well.... that ending sure felt forced especially with how they handled Sesshomaru. Just like in the half of the season, the guy appeared, fought a villain and escaped before having the chance to save his daughters. Now, he returns twice and he failed to save Setsuna as a result. Towa became Super Saiyan 3 for nothing at all and lost against probably the most bland villain ever. The whole Super Saiyan 3 thing is already a poor concept Toriyama used in Dragon Ball just to give the main character a unique power that would have no effect in the major storyline to the point he forgot about and Yashahime makes the same mistake. Why did Towa show that power? Did Setsuna really need to die for that? Is Moroha ever gonna act like a relevant character? What about Inu and Kagome? Nope
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone missed, there will be a second season, more of Yashahime to love! My only question is if James will bail out or ride it to the ground like the finale of Dr Strangelove?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
...My only question is if James will bail out or ride it to the ground like the finale of Dr Strangelove?

We got reviews, of a cut above and beyond the call, from both Monsieur Dupree for Ex-Arm and Monsieur Beckett for Yashahime. We should salute them, and then ask no more.

They should both get a special T-shirt or somethin'.

Honest to God, I don't know how you folks do it.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
Well it's finally over, for now at least.
Why the hell did I expect anything good would come from a cash grab sequel like this?
I suppose it was just that it started off fairly okay, but man did it ever make Boruto look like LOTGH.
At least Towa looked pretty with long hair, and the final battle was kind of cool, but meh.
Will probably watch Yashahime S2 and even Higurashi Sotsu (Gou definitely wasn't as bad as Yashahime, but I still didn't care much for how the story went) out of a sunk cost fallacy, or maybe not.
I'd definitely want James there to review it regardless, I imagine he'd have even more piss and vinegar about the series when he compares it to the original Inuyasha when he's finished watching that with the wife.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
All I did was sitting there for 20 mins thinking... "Why are these girls in a life-or-dead fight with this dude again?".

Seriously, what has Kirinmaru done to make the girls want to kill him?
Isn't Zero the one they have a bone to pick with?
Why didn't they follow her ignoring him?
They where already on Kirara, why they descended to fight him?
Why is Kirinmaru instructing them as the fight?
Why does he leaves like a 80s Saturday morning cartoon villain when he could easily kill his... enemies?... Are they enemies?

And, on freaking top of that, the episode has the guts to shoehorn Towa saying that she is sad because she couldn't speak with Riku as much as she wanted, give me a damn break girl...

You know, before this episode I thought we could erase at least 17 of of the 24 episodes and get a coherent plot with some changes.... but nop, this one undid everything.
RR529

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly pretty surprised the review didn't touch on the part of the fight where they randomly went into space (somehow) & destroyed a moon. Admittedly a fun scene, but it felt completely removed from the *InuYasha* universe in scale & vibe, like they needed to force in something "cool".

I won't say I hated *YashaHime*, but am incredibly disappointed & hope they use the opportunity of a season two to fix some things up (even though they probably won't).

Somehow the show does have it's fans though, I've been following a YouTuber known as AxelBeats since the show started & his episode reviews tend to be much more favorable than the ANN reviews (almost like he's watching a completely different show). His episode 24 review has over 1,000 comments, almost uniformly positive about the episode/show, or at the very least truly invested in Towa & Setsuna (moreso than Moroha) as characters. Probably big SessRin fans I guess?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 29