• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Yay. As much as I liked the first season's general feel, I felt that the second half of the show was taking the plot in a pretty dull direction. The characters and their dynamic are still fun, but Bell's story was just Yusa's story retold, and the whole "the humans were the real enemy all along" backstory they were moving towards is still pretty eye-rolling, as it takes the steam out of the underlying conflict between Yusa and Mao.

So more shenanigans, less plot development, please!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
A very welcome return. One quibble so far... Yusa's facial expression. Given that it's new staff and a new animation production company making it, no surprise that there wouldn't be perfect visual fidelity with the first. But I really felt that the first crew nailed Yusa's "pissed off" look with her eyes and brows and I miss that look in the second season. Oh well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (season finale)

I think that this is the last episode of the finale, but I weirdly can't find much that has people saying finale, but maybe some part that I can see another sequel comes out next year.

If I was to say one thing about this season, after waiting some 9 years, it would be disappointed. I am just so disappointed by how underwhelming it was. Perhaps the anime landscape changed so much in those years, that demon working as normal person really isn't as novel as it once was. It actually became pretty common with stuff like Jahy-sama. And this season certainly felt like it lost some of that when it didn't even focus that much on the mundane stuff that made the original memorable. Not much of the level of Satan considering using his limited magic to power up the deep-frier.

Considering the identity of Maou working at a "MgRonald's", it felt like it threw away that identity pretty early on by having them all go to a beach shack. It did have a lot more fantasy stuff in, but it was at the expense of the stuff that made it different from any other generic fantasy that might take part in modern Japan. I would have wanted more there for Maou, and perhaps his roommates picking up work.

Introducing Ramas was probably not bad, acting as a small child and what she brought out of Maou (and Emilia). It just did not feel like enough, especially when it looked like she was made stay with Emilia the majority of the time, because I guess she had to act as the motherly sort, rather than Maou and his roommates.

My rating of season 2 will be So-so (5/10), as much as I really wanted to like it, I actually kind of looked down on needing to watch because it would not click like I would have hoped. I don't know what a season 3 could do better to improve, but I suspect that there might not be anything that the studio can do.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
The first episode of the third season has arrived. I will admit that I too did not love the second season nearly as much as the first one. That said, the third season has started off pretty well. Chi-chan wants to change/grow stronger, McRonalds has gotten a whole lot fancier and the gang is just as much as a dysfunctional family as before. We also have a glimpse of the new villains?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:27 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 or Season 3, Episode 1

I really wish ANN and Crunchyroll would co-ordinate to standardize how they identify seasons and episode numbers so I can avoid having to do the above.

But yes, the sequel to season 1 did diminish my enthusiasm for this title. Still worth watching, imo, but hasn't hit the previous heights.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Well, we are a few episodes further in now and it is a decent time. We have some interesting developments regarding Chiho learning magic, Emi feeling lost and Maou dealing with some demon confusion. The latter issue was resolved in a very weird way though, it almost felt like it never was that much of an actual issue. All in all it is a fun time, but it never comes close to the first season.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:38 am Reply with quote
It seems the Devil is collecting a paycheck from the real American McDonalds now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfov7TaGSU

Saw this ad (the short form) while watching last night's WWE RAW this morning.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
It would make some sense, it is not like it is a subtle parody or anything.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
So, the final episode of the third season (or second cour second season) just released and honestly, everything past the first season has been mediocre. I keep tuning in to see if the magic of the first season comes back and it just does not. It is not a terrible show, just very mediocre. The final episode is supposed to be an epic finale and it just felt underwhelming as heck, especially due to some big differences compared to the manga. I can keep complaining, but I will just leave it at saying that this is the final season for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30