• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Series Said to Be Revealed in Gundam Ace Manga Mag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I will never, ever understand why Beltorchika Irma and other stuff were left out/changed for CCA. I know that it had to be different to appeal to the fans who already knew the novel's story but still...at least Tomino should have left in Amuro's son.

I'm glad Betorchika's Children was changed. The Hi-Nu and Nightingale just look obnoxiously excessive to me and it's not as though the plot was much different, anyway.

My only real problem with Char's Counterattack was the lack of Kamille, Judau, or Sayla.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:
I will never, ever understand why Beltorchika Irma and other stuff were left out/changed for CCA. I know that it had to be different to appeal to the fans who already knew the novel's story but still...at least Tomino should have left in Amuro's son.

I'm glad Betorchika's Children was changed. The Hi-Nu and Nightingale just look obnoxiously excessive to me and it's not as though the plot was much different, anyway.

My only real problem with Char's Counterattack was the lack of Kamille, Judau, or Sayla.

While I agree with the thought about the mechas being excessive (even though I really like Hi-Nu), as far as I am concerned after watching Zeta and knowing little stuff from the novel, changing amuro's girlfriend was kinda stupid and missed the whole point of her being vital to his ressurection as a pilot (while this can be discussed, that's my own opinion). Besides, like I've already said, the idea of Amuro leaving some kind of legacy through his son would have been a really good idea for future stories; a plot device definetly less ridiculous than Char's clones.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:

Offtopic: I will never, ever understand why Beltorchika Irma and other stuff were left out/changed for CCA. I know that it had to be different to appeal to the fans who already knew the novel's story but still...at least Tomino should have left in Amuro's son.

I'll never understand why they made the change from Beltorchika (which made sense) to some random chick. I can forgive a change in which suits are used by the characters, but changing him spoiler[ having a kid with Beltorchika ] is just pointless. Makes you wonder if the producers of the movie just didn't want to work with Beltorchika's voice actress or something. I've always wondered why Amuro's child never received a plot line of any kind. When all things are considered, Tomino is probably the only person on Earth that knows, or will ever know, why he does some of the things that he does (the 0079 novels are proof enough of that).

(I've been waiting for a Beltorchika's Children translation for years. I hold no hope for ever actually getting to read BC or Unicorn, or Hathaway's Flash. Anyone that has ever attempted to translate any of them has always quit before making any headway.)
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:

Offtopic: I will never, ever understand why Beltorchika Irma and other stuff were left out/changed for CCA. I know that it had to be different to appeal to the fans who already knew the novel's story but still...at least Tomino should have left in Amuro's son.

I'll never understand why they made the change from Beltorchika (which made sense) to some random chick.

(I've been waiting for a Beltorchika's Children translation for years. I hold no hope for ever actually getting to read BC or Unicorn, or Hathaway's Flash. Anyone that has ever attempted to translate any of them has always quit before making any headway.)

Well that makes at least two of us then. Likewise, I'd really like a Beltorchika's Children Translation (and Gundam Unicorn for that matter), but I guess it doesn't hold enough interest. Anyway, I guess that CCA is considered more cannon or something like that, so maybe that is a reason ? (at least I do, since that's the main problem I had with that movie, I actually liked it a lot)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
While I agree with the thought about the mechas being excessive (even though I really like Hi-Nu), as far as I am concerned after watching Zeta and knowing little stuff from the novel, changing amuro's girlfriend was kinda stupid and missed the whole point of her being vital to his ressurection as a pilot (while this can be discussed, that's my own opinion). Besides, like I've already said, the idea of Amuro leaving some kind of legacy through his son would have been a really good idea for future stories; a plot device definetly less ridiculous than Char's clones.

I'm against any legacy characters. I mean, do we really need Amuro Ray's son to be some great ace pilot hero?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
I shall take new Gundam any day, yes, good news. UC or an AU are both fine with me, I don't care as Gundam is awesome 95% of the time no matter which gear it's in.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
If clamp is involved again, I am going to be angry.

Uh, Clamp was involved with Code Geass, not Gundam, iirc.

captainbanana wrote:
00 on the other hand is the latest in a long line of Bandai related bishonen travesties.

The series the hardcore Gundam fans detest are the ones that actually seem to sell well over here. I happen to fall into the non-hardcore Gundam fan category, and I happen to enjoy Wing/Seed+Destiny/00, over the realistic wartime incarnations. If I wanna see gritty war drama, I'll watch a war movie. I watch anime to see fantasy universes, even if they are mostly populated by angsty teens.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
I don't know which "type" of Gundam fan I am, since I despised Wing (I hate the main characters, and the plot was boring as hell imho), but I loved Seed. ^^'

And I really like the manga "Gundam Origins" too, even if I only read a couple of chapters so far (but I plan buying it all as soon as I can).

*confused*

Maybe, I should watch more of the main series to really tell...

Anyway, this new project seems interesting, I could use some older protagonist (Yang in Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of my most favourite characters ever).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AutomaticZen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the character designer.

GaoGaiGar was quite cartoony, and after a quick google, the other two titles listed in the article are hentai. Aniyome, the last thing I could find that he did, is very cartoony as well.

One half of one, two-fourths of another.
AutomaticZen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
If clamp is involved again, I am going to be angry.

Uh, Clamp was involved with Code Geass, not Gundam, iirc.

captainbanana wrote:
00 on the other hand is the latest in a long line of Bandai related bishonen travesties.

The series the hardcore Gundam fans detest are the ones that actually seem to sell well over here. I happen to fall into the non-hardcore Gundam fan category, and I happen to enjoy Wing/Seed+Destiny/00, over the realistic wartime incarnations. If I wanna see gritty war drama, I'll watch a war movie. I watch anime to see fantasy universes, even if they are mostly populated by angsty teens.

Gundam has branched out far beyond the traditional (and mostly older) fans of 0079 and Zeta. Whether that is a good thing or not is open to interpretation. The fact remains though that most of the angst-filled Gundam series from the past five or so years have been geared much more toward teens, with Bishonen characters thrown in to cater toward bishie fangirls. That doesn't negate them, but it certainly means that they weren't for me in the first place.

When I said I hope Clamp isn't involved, I meant in another Bandai production. You seem to be in the other category, but personally I prefer the gritty realism that is possible in the Gundam universe, and no matter how gritty things get, I find it hard to believe when the characters are drawn like the standard clamp waifs. Don't get me wrong, I like Clamp's style of animation, I just don't like it in the context of Gundam. If I had my choice, I'd either bring the team from 08th back, or from War in the Pocket (there are some trade-offs with either one)
ikky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the designs and age of the characters, it seems they will go for the realistic/down to earth angle (in terms of characterization and storytelling), which can only be a good thing. I am not an 'UC only elitist' by any means, but the drama in SEED and 00 was just ridiculous especially since the writing quality was not good enough to back it up.

0083 had some of the best mechanical designs in the Gundam franchise, so it's nice to see more of Katoki.

I really hope this will be an OVA series though as it means tighter plot and better animation.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I am rather surprised at 'newer' Gundam shows being labelled a nothing more than toy adverts, and geared towards teens. Every Gundam TV series since and including 0079 has been a toy advert and aimed at teens. The fans of 0079 are simply older now.
Quote:
The series the hardcore Gundam fans detest are the ones that actually seem to sell well over here.
Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to enjoy UC, AC, AW, CC, AD and so on all on their own merits.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Universal Century myself, but I do also enjoy alternate universe Gundam programs like G Gundam, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam 00. In fact, some of those programs are better than at least a couple of UC productions. There's no reason to be strictly against alternate universe Gundam productions, even if you are a hardcore UC fan. There's plenty of UC to enjoy without putting down the others.

I'm actually quite enjoying Gundam 00, though it's flawed. It's not as good, as say, Zeta Gundam or Gundam 0080, but for me it's a huge step up from SEED and SEED Destiny.

Regardless, and despite the excessive pre-CCA UC production, I'm very much looking forward to this new production. I've read a lot of unimpressed responses, and I'm beginning to think certain Gundam fans are just impossible to please.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I prefer Universal Century myself, but I do also enjoy alternate universe Gundam programs like G Gundam, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam 00. In fact, some of those programs are better than at least a couple of UC productions. There's no reason to be strictly against alternate universe Gundam productions, even if you are a hardcore UC fan. There's plenty of UC to enjoy without putting down the others.

I'm actually quite enjoying Gundam 00, though it's flawed. It's not as good, as say, Zeta Gundam or Gundam 0080, but for me it's a huge step up from SEED and SEED Destiny.

Regardless, and despite the excessive pre-CCA UC production, I'm very much looking forward to this new production. I've read a lot of unimpressed responses, and I'm beginning to think certain Gundam fans are just impossible to please.

I'm not very hard to please personally. I just know exactly what type of thing I want, and I know what Bandai needs, in contrast to what I want, to stay in business (namely broader hits like Geass, and Seed/Destiny/00 instead of, say, a full 50 episode remake of 0079, which is pie in the sky, but you get the idea).

I can enjoy Non-UC content (I've seen and/or own every single Gundam ever made, with the exception of that damn Green Divers OVA that they won't/can't stick on a DVD) but they always end up in the "lesser-than" category for me. The only analogy I can offer is the Star Trek analogy, where so many people love the original, but a large portion of them could never get into some or all of the sequels. I know it's not a perfect analogy, since that was all in the same universe, but it's the closest that exists. Someone above made the statement that Gundam has always been a vehicle to sell toys and nothing more. I disagree. The powers that be may have said "Ok, he could keep using the Gundam Mk II, but....no, we need to sell toys. Give him a new model" but Gundam before Double Zeta always felt like it was more than that. I'd be getting into a ridiculous philosophical debate, but I like to think that Tomino had alot more to say than the producers of something like Seed. I realize that zealous fans of almost every IP say this, but I don't think it is a stretch to put Tomino up there with the greats of Sci-Fi. This is turning into an essay, but Gundam has become a vehicle to sell CD's and toys. It's the same old indie vs record label argument, and it doesn't get anyone anywhere, but that is what I believe. I have no problem putting the 0079 novelization next to Ender's Game, Foundation and the like. I wouldn't put Seed on the same shelf with Ouran Host Club. That's how shallow and awful I find it.

Alright, that is the last post I'll do on this subject. Untill the next Gundam related topic, gents.

(oh, and I didn't mean to call Ouran shallow. I actually liked it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5