• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Nakaimo TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I think by now, it's pretty well established that childhood friends/love interests are always going to overreact to sudden male bonding and assume the worst despite the fact that the object of their affection was clearly heterosexual the day before, and then try and win their attention back by various means. its common in the harem genre and certainly not new to Nakaimo, so why has this suddenly become a big deal?
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I think by now, it's pretty well established that childhood friends/love interests are always going to overreact to sudden male bonding and assume the worst despite the fact that the object of their affection was clearly heterosexual the day before, and then try and win their attention back by various means. its common in the harem genre and certainly not new to Nakaimo, so why has this suddenly become a big deal?

Well, to a large part, it probably shouldn't be. The reaction to a love rival in these sorts of shows is the same whether they be male or female "No, look at ME!!!" Laughing Most of the seemingly discriminatory stuff in anime I chalk up to benign ignorance.

I can't remember where I read the story about the black American English teacher going to teach in a small Japanese town and getting really offended that the kids there all called him Obama. I can understand the guy being displeased, but these were grade-school kids in one of the most ethnically homogenous countries in the world. Obama was just the only frame of reference they had for a black man. You can't really contribute that kind of foolishness to malice, when it's really just plain ignorant. Unacceptable? Sure. But you can't learn right and wrong without some frame of reference.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
It's a free country

Your underagedness is showing.

Hey! I thought you otaku types liked em underage!?

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

(I'm sorry. I'll go away now).

in most civilized nations the age of consent is 16-17 and that's where I draw my line "pun is intended", but I have more of thing for anime moms "ara ara I'm just an old woman"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I want to say that I did get disheartened (and kind of pissed) with the show when the girls were making efforts to reverse what they thought was Shougo's sexual orientation. It was also kind of sexist too, if you think about it, as if a woman's role is only to please men as objects for their desire depending on their attractions. But I accept that gags like this happen in anime, and I give the creators lenience in finding ways to make light of things in different ways.

Sex is too much of a complicated, politicized thing these days and if you are too uptight to see the humor in a simple, silly show like this, then I don't see what the point is of enjoying anime and occasionally overlooking some of its faults. What you see and hear from anime is tied to their culture and their way of thinking, it's not perfect no, and yes there's much to be desired in the way of respect for GLBT issues but at the same time what non-Japanese fans of anime gain is insight into that frame of mind and philosophy. It's all part of the entertainment that I value from being an anime fan.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
If we can't get offended by homophobic jokes or sexism, what can we get offended by? Taking a joke too seriously won't do anyone any good, but at some point enough is enough. The "we need to cure him of his gay/trans!" joke and other "harmless" jokes have become more and more offensive every time I see them because it's obvious that there are people who believe it.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Look, let's stop ganging up on Chagen. He's done nothing more than stating that he considered making a personal choice because Sentai licensed a show he personally found to be horrid. Looking from how long he's been a member, and how many posts he's made, I think he would have gotten banned if he said anything really bad. Feeding into somebody who is irritating you because of a radically different opinion, and insinuating that he's underage because of certain choice words (I know several twelve year-olds smarter than many grown adults I've seen on these forums, just saying) makes everybody here look petty and shallow. The anime community is full of different opinions and views, which is one of the reasons I hold it so near and dear to me.

So let's just focus on the topic and not ganging up on somebody, alright? Smile
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Really? They license one anime for this and it's a freaking fan service show! How sad is that? Very sad, if you ask me.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Really? They license one anime for this and it's a freaking fan service show! How sad is that? Very sad, if you ask me.

it sells, it earns them money, they grow bigger and buy more anime. plain and simple. and they licensed a metric crap ton of fanservice shows with the last 30 shows they licensed, so this really shouldn't be that surprising.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I hope they license more in this vein, I adore your predictable reactions.

I don't care much for the show, but if the new way of licensing is less risky, more power to them grabbing up whatever's available. Now only if they'd enter the hentai market, then we'd see some progress in that dead arena.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I like this show so far and will probably pick it up

but again, I need to ask, where is sentai getting all this money from
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

i would imagine from High School of the Dead and Clannad on Blu-ray. those are the top sellers
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

to be blunt at this point who really cares.... I predict the R1 anime market will crash again in 2-3 years time and there will be none left to pick up the mess.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

More specifically, they "announced" one anime.
There's no telling how many they actually licensed and are just sitting on.
jree78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Sentai is getting the money from Crunchyroll Mr. Williams even said it on their panel if you look at the Otakon section on ANN under Sentai Filmworks. He pretty much says Crunchyroll gives them money then they give them shows. The question is how much money is Crunchyroll giving them are they giving them enough money to pay for most of the minimum payment for streaming and a chunk for physical. If that were true just how big is Crunchyroll? Last November TVTokyo was saying Crunchyroll has 70,000 subscribers at the time I looked at their likes on Facebook and it was around 75,000. Since then it has increased to 304,000, I was wondering why. In one week during AX the likes jumped 50,000. Usually they are signing up people at conventions and maybe having them like Crunchyroll. The biggest jump came after they introduced 1080p. But their likes usually swing they go up and down, if their subscriber base is even anywhere near their Facebook likes. They are bringing in a lot of cash and people here and Japan are starting to notice. Nico Nico went down the hole after Another was simulcast maybe a new reality set in.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
The question is how much money is Crunchyroll giving them are they giving them enough money to pay for most of the minimum payment for streaming and physical.

The answer can be inferred from the Sentai panel, and that answer is pretty much no, not yet.

Quote:
Williams: DVD is still king. DVD is where you make most of your money. Streaming is growing but it has not reached a point yet where it can support the costs of a title. You're still dependent on the sale of DVDs. Blu-ray is growing but DVD still outsells it. Highschool of the Dead was the first time I saw a Blu-ray outselling a DVD but now it's caught up. DVD is still king and the bread and butter of the industry.

That's the section from the panel, and that's from the Sentai rep, David Williams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6