• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: anohana Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
If the show had been set right after Menma had died, it would have been fine (or at least different) and I could have sympathized with the cast much better, but the fact that it was years after the fact and they were still hung up on it like to the point where they've self-flagellated themselves so much they're literally festering with negative emotion--to me that's just an immediate turnoff. These characters haven't healed because they've chosen not to. It's great that they get over it and reconcile in the end, but I don't want to watch that journey. Characters with that kind of attitude, just like people with that kind of attitude, aren't interesting, they're just frustrating to watch/be around. The characters in AnoHana are, at least for a while (too long) just fine with stewing in their own shit rather than, say, ef characters or Angel Beats characters which are maybe going through some crap but are at least trying to do something about it.

I wouldn't say that all the characters were "hung up on it" necessarily. Jintan's subsequent lifestyle change following the death of Menma may be attributed to it but, given his character's attitude, it didn't seem like the death was the driving factor in him remaining a hikkikomori for so long. The break-up of the group following Menma's death led to Anaru's change but it was really her own personality and feelings which conflicted with her new lifestyle as opposed to constantly dwelling on Menma. Poppo always had that free spirit to him. Yukiatsu is the only one who never really got over the death, so your description certainly fits here. Finally, Tsuruko's change comes as a result of her love interest being haunted by Menma as opposed to personally being tortured over the issue.

I think that it may merely seem that they were all hung up over Menma's death because with her appearence, lots of old wounds were brought to the forefront. As the group members began to interact again, they were forced to finally settle issues which most of them had locked away in their new lives.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
I see a lot of people hating on this anime, and I can't help but feel its just people trying to be cool by hating what's popular. I can't understand how anyone (unless they were born without a heart) could dislike this anime.

Re-read the thread. The majority of complaints are aimed at the series' finale, which I and apparently others found to be dragged on and even, dare I say, forced. Forced beyond what it probably would have been with more natural writing. The rest of the series is fine, but the ending needed work. Yeah it can make you tear up, but that's because of the manipulation they work into it, same deal with the end of spoiler[Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.]
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I think that it may merely seem that they were all hung up over Menma's death because with her appearence, lots of old wounds were brought to the forefront. As the group members began to interact again, they were forced to finally settle issues which most of them had locked away in their new lives.

Not disagreeing with your specifics, but wasn't Menma's death the catalyst for it all; the root of the problem, in a sense? Not the only thing going on, but sort of the main thing, at least for the group as a whole. Sort of caused a chain reaction in a way, and they never really reconciled all of that, which is what the show's premise hinges on.

Last edited by Veers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Aside from a logical lapse concerning Menma's effect on objects in the physical world, the series was superb, from start to finish. The entire premise genuinely pulls at the heartstrings. I've never seen Clannad After Story, but if anohana is more moving, then CAS will be a walk in the park.

The series isn't fresh in my head, but I felt as though the finally, mainly the scene involving them all yelling in unison, was a little on the corny side.

Also, someone said that the "ghost element" was "annoying"... Menma was entire point of the show. Without her, we'd have a very different series, here. Plus, I don't think she was "annoying", at all. Menma was moe, done right.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I seem to be one of the few people who found the ending nearly perfect. Sure, it got overdramatic at times with the crying, but at least it happened at a very key point in the story--in fact, I'd consider that confessions scene to be the point the whole show was slowly but surely building up to. With all that had been hidden and bottled up finally exposed and released, at least one should expect some kind of cathartic reaction; whether all that crying was the reaction they should have had can be debated, but something needed to be there.

I think, in my mind, what really helped that scene from becoming too melodramatic was where spoiler[the group suddenly started laughing over Anaru's fake eyelashes]. I have to imagine that to be a jarring transition to some, but to me, it was the perfect indication that the barriers that had been between the estranged friends have finally completely fallen down and they were no longer estranged. And then it transitions into the final scene, which at this point is just to provide ultimate closure to everything.

At any rate, I think I can understand where some people find the ending to be weak, but I personally found it to be one of the best endings to an anime I have ever seen. Maybe I just connected more with the underlying message that the show wanted to bring across. Or maybe, for what it's worth, I just can't think of any significantly better way to rewrite the ending. (Maybe some of you who disliked the ending can offer an alternative?)
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
amagee wrote:

Not disagreeing with your specifics, but wasn't Menma's death the catalyst for it all; the root of the problem, in a sense? Not the only thing going on, but sort of the main thing, at least for the group as a whole. Sort of caused a chain reaction in a way, and they never really reconciled all of that, which is what the show's premise hinges on.

I think Menma's death wasn't as much a catalyst as it was such a life-altering event in and of itself. The group was clearly getting awkward with them getting towards puberty and such but I don't think they had been on the verge of breaking up before Menma passed away. Being at such a difficult age and with such a tragic event, it more or less threw the group into the wind rather suddenly.

The event caused them to change and - all but one - sink their feelings into the past without reconciling them. The manner in which they eventually come to terms with all their past emotions does hinge itself upon the return of ghost Menma. The thing is, your dead friend coming back isn't really a normal thing; let alone them coming back during what is still a very formative time in one's youth. This sort of breaking up of groups of friends occurs quite often but rarely are people encouraged by unusual circumstances to go back and reconcile feelings. Typically, people move on and don't interact or do so later in life when things are more settled. I think the whole spoiler["Jintan might just be insane"] thing stemming from Menma being a ghost must also be considered.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
I consider Toradora! to be one of my favorite series of all time but found this show from the same director to be just merely average. I couldn't connect to a single one of the characters and also found Menma to be somewhat annoying at times. I'm not sure why this show didn't click with me like it did with some people, but I hardly felt any sad emotions through the entirety of the series. I guess because the series seemed like it was trying too hard or something. And before I'm accused of being heartless and emotionless, I barely held back tears at one point during The Dark Knight Rises.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
So you either enjoy bad melodrama or you're a cynical bastard with a heart of stone? Rolling Eyes

Sorry, but i've never been a fan of the 'you can only convey deep and powerful emotions by making characters cry and scream like madmen' school of anime...to me that final devalued an otherwise fine series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So you either enjoy bad melodrama or you're a cynical bastard with a heart of stone? Rolling Eyes

Sorry, but i've never been a fan of the 'you can only convey deep and powerful emotions by making characters cry and scream like madmen' school of anime...to me that final devalued an otherwise fine series.

Well said. Well said.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
You're the one that actually seems to be getting worked up over it, so take your own advice.

Whatever you say, troll. If being calm, collected and objective when analysing Anime is a crime then I'm guilty as charged.

Why would I troll the review thread for an anime I enjoyed immensely?
All I posted was an observation(that wasn't even necessarily directed at you in particular), you're the one attempting to turn this into a debate.
However the fact you seem so hellbent on making yourself out to be some model citizen does amuse me.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Merida wrote:

Well said. Well said.

While Merida's second bit is fine as a personal statement, the first part accusing everyone who liked it of enjoying bad programming seems unnecessarily inflammatory.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

Precisely because you enjoyed it so much? Because you can't handle people saying anything bad about it, even though our criticisms are perfectly legit and many of us still like the show regardless?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

While Merida's second bit is fine as a personal statement, the first part accusing everyone who liked it of enjoying bad programming seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

Oh come on, it's not any more inflammatory than accusing everyone who doesn't enjoy it of having a heart of stone (and is it really necessary to add 'in my completely personal and absolutely not representative opinion' to everyone one writes here?)...
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:

Precisely because you enjoyed it so much? Because you can't handle people saying anything bad about it, even though our criticisms are perfectly legit and many of us still like the show regardless?

Ok, since you just are so caught up in what you think I meant rather than listening to what I was actually saying I'll spell it out for you bluntly.

I don't care if you criticize Anohana(in fact as I admitted earlier I actually agree with some of the things you said), whether you like it or not makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever. Actually, after this little exchange what you say means even less to me(if that's even possible). Get over yourself.

What I was saying was that it was utterly predictable that a thread for a positive review of a generally well received anime series be mostly filled with posts poking at it's flaws or talking about how bad it apparently is rather than the things it does well. It's indicative of this forum, and it's indicative of the internet in general. It had absolutely nothing to do specifically with what you or anyone else here said. Understand?
But you obviously being you, had to make it all about you.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
I consider Toradora! to be one of my favorite series of all time but found this show from the same director to be just merely average.

Actually, I found Toradora to be a lot more emotionally touching as well. Maybe because it was more subtle (and the characters more interesting)? Also for Toradora they did have an original work to adapt. For AnoHana they had to come up with everything themselves. Maybe Yuko Takemiya is simply a more talented writer than ... Mari Okada? (I read the AnoHana novel adaption she wrote before the anime started ... and it made me drop my usually high expectations for the noitamina slot.)

Merida wrote:
Oh come on, it's not any more inflammatory than accusing everyone who doesn't enjoy it of having a heart of stone

I agree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6