• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Shojo Beat Manga Magazine's End in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm upset about this. I discovered Absolute Boyfriend, Crimson Hero and Vampire Knight from that magazine. My mom loved it too she's going to feel bad when I tell her. Now Viz is going to pay even less attention to shojo too. Shounen Jump bores me because countless endless series going in and out is annoying and the articles are trying harder to be cool then Disney Anime hyper.

I especially loved the page where they would show the character on the cover and then show you where to find a similar outfit. I never really did it but it was still cool. Oh and where am I going to get my Junko Mizuno fix now? Maybe they should have just sent everyone who subscribed a volume of their favorite shojo beat manga instead of a SJ subscription.
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
WUT? D: I was willing to fork out money every year for my SB subscription, but FYI Viz, I will not be buying any of these series in graphic novel format.

RIP Shojo Beat... but at least this is the last I will see of Haruka and the Beat Girl. Smile
mokitty

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprised.

I was a real fan of this mag for about its first year, when it was still diverse and interesting. Then after a while, when it started replacing some of the original titles, I noticed an apparent shift away from broad-based shoujo to a more narrow, teeny-bopperish target audience. At that point, it seemed like the stories were all the same "girl meets boy/girl meets another boy/omgz conflict" crap that might have appealed when I was 16, but not so much anymore. I always thought that once they got rid of Baby & Me and Kaze Hikaru the entire publication seemed at odds with its "Older Teen" rating printed on the cover... Nana was the only thing left that didn't seem aimed squarely at 14 year olds.

I guess it's a shame to see it fold, but I thought it was a shame a long time before now.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
thats pretty sad to hear,looks like it's taking the same road as NEWTYPE US, I remember buying the first issue of it back in summer of (I think it was 2006) which came with a shoujo beat demo disk with the first episode of Ultra maniac( I loved that series to death Razz

absolute boyfriend is what got me hooked to shoujo beat in the first place and vampire knight was also pretty awsome,does this like have anything to do with low ratings compared to shounen jump?
insomniac1970

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
I'm sad that Viz has made this decision. Shoujo Beat was a treat that I bought for myself if I was good with my spending money. I'll miss Crimson Hero and Honey & Clover. I'll still buy Vampire Knight vols as they are released, but I'm really sad.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Other than Shonen Jump and PA, are there any remaining mags left?

Yen Plus and Otaku USA.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
God I'm sad about this Anime cry I've been a loyal subscriber since issue 1! This is the only piece of mail I regularly looked forward to in my college mailbox, and it's the only magazine I personally subscribe to and regularly read (other than Newsweek, which is my family's subscription). This sucks!!! And I feel terrible for any employees who were possibly cut too. I thought Viz did a really good job with this magazine - I looked forward to not just the manga, but also the articles about topics pertaining to the manga series or japanese culture in general.

I guess I should have see this coming - with the combination of the bad economy and long-declining magazine market - I guess I just didn't think it would happen so soon. Plus, Viz seems like the most financially-secure of the American manga publishers, so I didn't think a Viz product would be canceled so abruptly. Since I've been studying abroad for the past semester, I haven't read any of the issues since January, and I was really looking forward to catching up on all the back issues that will be waiting at my home when I return Sad Now when I get back home and read them I'll feel all bitter about the mag being canceled *sigh*

I'll buy some of the SB graphic novels, but I can't afford to buy all of the continuing series I like (Vampire Knight, Honey Hunt, Honey and Clover, and Sand Chronicles). SB was a really economical way to enjoy all of them!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dammit! This is the second shojo mag which went under from Viz. And I always liked it more than Xtra. Oh, well, at least we'll be getting faster releases on the TPBs...*sigh* But, hey, four years is pretty damn good. I just can't believe print periodicals are doing so badly that even this takes a hit.

this is now become cirsis mode in my view.Hopefully Shouen Jump don't bite the dust as welll otherwise,i don't care how much naruto volumes sells,the manga industry will be in serious trouble when it happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Hopefully Shouen Jump don't bite the dust as welll otherwise,i don't care how much naruto volumes sells,the manga industry will be in serious trouble when it happens.

If you look at the stats I lined below, in the other thread about this, you'll see clearly that Shonen Jump is in absolutely NO danger. Shojo Beat had roughly 5% of the audience that Jump has, since the SJ series are more popular and the magazine is more established.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117903&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
True enough.

BUT Unfortunately there's some main facts that'll prove my last post to make sense.

First,cause of this world's economy.it's a two sided coin for SJ's future.It's popular now,but the recession might change that.

Then there's those illegal translations of the SJ mangas on the internet more than ever,it could be the monkey that breaks it's back later on.

It's good now,but if both anime and manga industry stats getting into critical city cause of this recession,who knows how long SJ's luck will last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Then there's those illegal translations of the SJ mangas on the internet more than ever,it could be the monkey that breaks it's back later on.

I could, in theory, read all the comics I ever wanted to online. I don't because reading regular comics on a computer monitor sucks.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the scans of VK for awhile now in order to keep up with the story. But I still read it in SJ because their translations were better. Plus, since I like it so much, I want to actually own a physical copy. So I bought the magazine and the manga volumes. If Shojo Beat lost money, it wasn't because of me.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
this sucks, I just started reading again. I will still buy the manga. I would not be suprised if Yen Plus is next
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4