• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler: Can't Take My Eyes Off You (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
so much money just for some bonding time
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Speaking of which, do we have any idea what's up with the blue haired girl in the wedding dress yet? She sings the ED theme, and she just monologues randomly at parts.

Wasn't she spoiler[supposed to be Hayate's sister?]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
O, the nun sister is here.

Some scenes regarding Maria and her little investigation. I lol'd spoiler[@ that scene @ the restaurant and how Hinagiku misunderstood the whole thing. Well, at least she still gets along with her oniisama.]

Ah, Hinagiku...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I am sure I have seen this story before (the restaurant) *goes through manga* oh it was in volume 10, Episodes 9 and 10. A large diffirence being that Tsugumi replaced Himuro, the cheap butler, which made it the same people that sensed when Hayate had a lot of money on him. I guess it all still worked, Tsugumi's method was sure more direct, and Hinagiku's loss of colour was hillarious.

I wonder if they are showing off some characters still whether they will show the true origin of the film club.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
"Not if its about money"
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
so Nagi's mom was sick enough that any man would do for her?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I liked that it had a fairy tale like vibe, then suddenly mentioned spoiler[a .44 magnum], that is Nagi's mother for you. Actually Hayate has shown similar traits before, such as the beginning/end of this episode, and his take on Alice in Wonderland, they mentioned that Hayate and Nagi's mother are similar.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i thought that was Hayate in drag until the hospital scene
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

So the story is starting to come along, and more serious from now on. Though I found that the spoiler[contest] was the actual highlight, it seemed to pay tribute to a spoiler[contest] in the manga run the by the three idiot which pitted Nishizawa against Fumi. But this time it was filled with Fumi's craziness, which I find hillarious. In the manga she was an spoiler[idiot savant, drew a symbol bu actually drawing a dyeing man drawing said symbol in his blood, and described a maid as "a woman with a hot bod" or the doujinshi her brother buys.] Turning the spoiler[traumatic happenings of her family life into topics] is indeed inspired.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Agree that the quiz was the eppie highlight. I was especially delighted with Isumi's increased presence in the eppie and her delightful rationale for entering the contest: spoiler["No, I don't need a ticket to America, but it just seems like something we can win so I entered to beat everyone else."] Laughing

Something that the show does masterfully is the use of facial expressions. Sometimes this means using SD faces or chibi figures, other times it's just a naturalistic expression. Like the expression Nagi's "little sister" has on her face as she tries to print her name while Nagi mocks her printing skills. A perfect blend of childish peevishness/sulking/embarrassment.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8.

It looks like we're back to formula again. This episode was only mildly entertaining -- I hope they get more mojo from here on in.

I must say that rendition of Las Vegas was amazingly accurate. I have spent some time there and each of the street scenes was a place I had been at least once. Even details like the Strip's median separator outside the Bellagio were right on.

Too bad we didn't get treated to Maria pantsu. But that doesn't seem to be part of HTCB's brand.

Is it possible to help someone get something out of their eye without looking like you are kissing? I guess not. Not in the anime world. Nope.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I thought it funny that the 80% bird guy was so unprepared for the likes of spoiler[Isumi, Hayate and Hinagiku], being saved in a kind of undignified manner. Also a bit funny at despite is supposed magic ability to take Tsugumi to Vegas, he had to take spoiler[discount air travel]. Tsugumi was saved, but seems to have decided to spoiler[fake a kidnapping] anyway, her plan is pretty transparent due to thespoiler[ ransom note obvuously being written by her]. Nagi seems to have decided to help her anyway, partially out of boredom and loneliness.

So now we are in Vegas as the first episode showed, Hayate was the obvious choice to shoulder the bad luck, what with him already dealing with some pretty heavey stuff before. Actually, correct me if was addressed a diffirent way already, but I seem to remember that there were necklaces given to people which had something about being able to inherit the Sanzinen fortune. Said necklaces caused bad luck to the wearer, could the necklaces been a test to see who could handle the curse of the Black Camellia. And when Hayate mentioned that he heard of a sword of the same name I checked it out, yes the Black Camellia was mentioned by his old girlfriend as matching in power to the sword called Shiro-zakura, the White Cherry Blossom. But it does not technically say it is a sword, hmm. Well might have been why I thought I had heard of it before. The Camellia being a clock kind of reminds me of the prominance of the clock in those chapters too.

I might also throw in another theory, with the decision to get the Camellia apparently being Tsugumi's mother's doing, I think there could be there chance that there is a relationship (not neccesarily romantic) between her and Nagi's father. Perhaps spoiler[they are cousins (Nagi and Tsugumiya, or Tsugumi is actually some sort of animated doll.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
perhaps i should attempt to watch season 1 again, as there are many minor details that confuse me such as: Hinagiku and that sword and Nishizawa and Hinagiku being friends
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
perhaps i should attempt to watch season 1 again, as there are many minor details that confuse me such as: Hinagiku and that sword and Nishizawa and Hinagiku being friends

problem is this show is based after a certain point in the manga that was never covered in the previous anime series and as i understand it alot of the manga wasn't covered in the anime. so if you don't read the manga (like me) alot of small details will confuse you.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember Hina and Nishizawa becoming friends in season 2, especially with the ferris wheel. And perhaps I am wrong, but I seem to remember Hinagiku recieving a magic sword from Isumi to help with the buttler dungeon crawler, she kept saying it was a gift from a friend and Isumi would say it was lending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6