• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Wolf Children, Toriko on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altacia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Not interested in Toriko.

Wolf Children however.... Very Happy Haven't watched it but, As soon as I saw the previews for it and all I knew I must have it!
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Another anime I'm going to try to force my parents to watch. *evil laugh*

EDIT: I meant Wolf Children, not Toriko which I'm not interested in.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Wolf Children is going to be a really good movie (I'll pick it up when it's released), but Toriko doesn't seem to be getting much love. Sad
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Wolf Children is a day one pre-order.

As for Toriko...I'll have to give it another watch before I say "yes" or "no"...
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
FUNimation Entertainment acquires the rights to Toriko jeez how do they plan to sell that? Sure it has its fans but in my book the show is junk i did give it a try and just can't stand it my bet they dub 25 eps and quit after it fails Laughing as for Wolf Children good stuff.

I was thinking along those lines too. It's not DBZ or One Piece, so I can't see them indefinitely committing to releasing the series if the first few solicitations don't do that well. And DBZ and One Piece only do so well because they were on television here.

Western Audiences [leave your prejudicial beliefs out of this]. Fairy tail, Bleach, and Naruto are stuck in small lands/areas for their storys. While OP, Toriko, and of course Hunter x Hunter are out of this world adventure storys. Toriko is funny, visually interesting, and if you like lead male characters to not be feminine [slure removed] that cry every five seconds, then you shall love it. Fairy tail doesn't want to become something great, because every antagonist loses so badly, it's basically the most goody two shoe major shounen out there. Bleach used to be the worst, on antagonists realistic chances of actually winning, but clearly Fairy tail owns that title these days lol.

I despise USA English dub of anime anyway's. Nothing more ruined than when they get rid of certain minor (but crucial characters), make fight scenes powerpuffed, get rid of Christian and other religious symbols (even though they're a Christian country, and supposedly allow religious freedom). Then again I'm pretty sure all USA anime and manga license companies are [leave your prejudice to yourself. Be respectful or don't post.]. Either way dub stuff is horrendous. Subtitles in original Japanese language PAWNS all.
( 0 0 ) Cant you just say i think Toriko is a good show?? most of your post was just angry nonsense Laughing and all i took from it is why are you posting here? If you hate english dubbed anime? Rolling Eyes
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I have any interest in Toriko. Granted, about the only exposure I have to it are the couple of One Piece/Toriko crossover eps, but it just didn't feel like my thing even though I would think an anime about killing, cooking, and eating animals would be right up my alley. But, I'm not required to like everything!

Wolf Children, on the other hand, has my interest mainly because of its pedigree. I can't say I know much about it, but I'll certainly buy it because of Hosoda's past works.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
Western Audiences [leave your prejudicial beliefs out of this]. Fairy tail, Bleach, and Naruto are stuck in small lands/areas for their storys. While OP, Toriko, and of course Hunter x Hunter are out of this world adventure storys. Toriko is funny, visually interesting, and if you like lead male characters to not be feminine [slure removed] that cry every five seconds, then you shall love it. Fairy tail doesn't want to become something great, because every antagonist loses so badly, it's basically the most goody two shoe major shounen out there. Bleach used to be the worst, on antagonists realistic chances of actually winning, but clearly Fairy tail owns that title these days lol.

I despise USA English dub of anime anyway's. Nothing more ruined than when they get rid of certain minor (but crucial characters), make fight scenes powerpuffed, get rid of Christian and other religious symbols (even though they're a Christian country, and supposedly allow religious freedom). Then again I'm pretty sure all USA anime and manga license companies are [leave your prejudice to yourself. Be respectful or don't post.]. Either way dub stuff is horrendous. Subtitles in original Japanese language PAWNS all.

....the word Pwn came about as a typo of "own". There is no "a" in Pwn, Pwnd, pwned, or pwns. Please spell your internet slang correctly, as my mind kind of grinds to a halt when random vowels are thrown in based off the user's pronunciation.

Also JEEZ, dude. I'm one of those fans who prefer One Piece and Hunter x Hunter to Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail any day, but you gotta calm down. Also OP and HxH fans aren't going to always be interested in shows like Toriko. Frankly the over-manliness of that series really turns me off.

And really, the reason I always hear from people who prefer Bleach and Naruto over OP and HxH is because the latter two are much too "cartoony" for their tastes.

and finally:
A) Christian symbols aren't really taken out of shows anymore. The last incident I've heard about that was one of the FMA manga, and that was a LONG time ago.
B) These symbols are usually taken out when shows are airing on TV or the comic is THAT popular because only about 1% of the Japanese population is actually Christian, and many of the authors will add in the symbols as something they find cool, which could be used in a setting that would be offensive to Christians that the author might not realize.

Case in point: Greed being put on a cross in a position similar to the image of Jesus on the Cross used in many churches. We have freedom of speech here, but Viz didn't want to potentially mess up sales by freaking out Christian parents who might see the image in their kids comics. Unfortunately, EVERYONE called them out on their BS. FMA was just that popular, though. Unless the series is a huge hit, though, most companies won't care about that stuff anymore.

Edit: OH! Forgot to mention: WOLF CHILDREN!! Thank you, Funi! Thank you!!! <3
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I think its kinda interesting that Toriko honestly seems to have a decent following, and yet at the same time I never hear anyone talking about it. Heck, few people here even care. It's honestly not something I think I'd be interested either, but here's hoping that Funi can tackle another long-runner.

And of course, Wolf Children <3 Been looking forward to that release. I'm actually a little surprised since I was pretty sure Viz licensed this elsewhere [UK?] so I expected America to follow suit. Not complaining though, I thought Summer Wars' dub was absolutely fantastic and I know they will treat this movie with the same care. Looking forward to a potential theater release as well, Summer Wars made it's way near me so here's hoping.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Frankly the over-manliness of that series really turns me off.

Which is why I'm glad Tina (the newslady) was added to the anime, as I feel it makes it less sausagefest-y.

Quote:
And really, the reason I always hear from people who prefer Bleach and Naruto over OP and HxH is because the latter two are much too "cartoony" for their tastes.

When it comes down to it, we're all watching cartoons. I find fans who make statements like this ridiculous.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Well I for one and looking forward to Toriko :/ Hope they make artboxes like they did for [c] and Panty & Stocking.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
That'd be nice if they gave Toriko an artbox. I don't know if they will though. I'm kind of hoping they make Komatsu's pink wall penguin into a plushie. That'd be adorable.

As for over-manliness, I guess you could say that since there is nary a female in sight (with the exception of Tina and Rin). For me it's been kind of macho along the lines of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or even to some extent DBZ so it's a little more ridiculous-enjoyable than overtly manly.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Very excited about Wolf Children. Very much looking forward to purchasing it when it's available.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Oh hell yeah, been waiting for Toriko to be released for what seems like ages. Now the new Hunter x Hunter just needs to be released and I'll have all 3 of the long-running shows I actually care about.
Ties

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
Just saw Wolf Children yesterday at the Festival du Nouveau Cinéma in Montreal and it's so awesome. I get back home yesterday and it just happens that Funimation announces the licence the same day. I can't wait to get my hands on the Blu-Ray already.

Good luck to Funimation for finding a voice actress that will sound half as adorable as Yuki when she's about 5 years old. The voice in the original japanese just oozed cuteness so much that I wanted to bring little Yuki back home.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:

When it comes down to it, we're all watching cartoons. I find fans who make statements like this ridiculous.

I think it's disingenuous to pretend to not understand the intent of statements like those.

Everyone has preferences in style. Let's not get too caught up in petty differences of vocabulary when attempting to express those preferences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5