• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Brothers [2009-08-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
I understand any griping about Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, of course but I actually like it better than the original Anime because of its brisker pacing and lighter emotional depth. I felt that, on the whole, Fullmetal Alchemist was too brooding and dour (not that I don't understand what it was playing at, mind) But in comparison I appreciate the brevity and speed of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Granted, I don't know that its as easy to enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood without having seen the original Anime first simply because the new one feels like an acceleration and lightening as it is. As an alternate telling or a companion piece, I think it works pretty well. As a replacement for the original, maybe not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
I have watched both the first and this newer one. The newer one seems lacking to me and not so much in storyline. The emotional stuff is there and yet it seems like a pale image of what it was like in the first, so that I have a hard time watching it. To me you condense emotional scenes, and you are not going to ruin it, but make it kinda eh. That's what got some people into the first one, because it tugged at your heartstrings. Everyone that I know that saw the first one and then started watching this one went that way. Hell I got friends into anime because of the first series and all the emotional stuff that just sucks you into it. I like the fast pace it sets but at the same time when an emotional scene that should last at least a minute is cut into ten seconds, I just laugh instead of feel anything deep. I do like how they took out Greed though. I believe that it should follow the storyline and that is why I am watching, just to see how it is suppose to be. Bottom line for me on a 10 scale the 1st is 9-10 while this one is 6-7. Just missing the element to push it to the top in my opinion. Better then average but only slightly.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
zatheus wrote:
I do like how they took out Greed though.

Greed went out so cool in the manga. I do hope they kept that. Greed in the manga seemed so much more...attitude?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
zatheus wrote:
I do like how they took out Greed though.

Greed went out so cool in the manga. I do hope they kept that. Greed in the manga seemed so much more...attitude?

I take it you're watching this on HULU and not on Funimation's website? Because Greed was taken out several episodes ago - and it was just like in the manga. And hopefully spoiler[his return will be as equally awesome! They sure got the right voice actor for it (Miyano Mamoru = perfect choice).]
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I have too many dvds I'm behind on to justify watching anything streamed. I think about it, but then the 3 boxes in the corner of my room flash in front of my face. (not all anime. 2 boxes are movies my folks gave me) The temptation's there, but that won't reduce the pile. Anime alone is G-Gundam, 3rd box Saiunkoku, Gasaraki (only watched 1 dvd 2 yrs ago), Solty Rei, Gilgamesh, Nazca, Argentosoma, the 2nd X TV box(it's not grabbing me), an Iczer movie (sub), the last Terra dvd(subs take so much attention)...a lot more. A lot of subtitled stuff because that takes not doing 2 things at once (computer & tv)
The temptation is growing. someone's going to put up one of the titles I really want to see & that'll break the ice. I'm one of those who doesn't really like watching stuff on my computer screen. I have a flatscreen monitor (retrieved from my daughter about a month ago) now so I'll have to try to see if that improves my feelings about it. The other monitor was bought in 1998.
I'm hoping the dif will be as great as Hellsing TV vs Hellsing Ultimate as far as FMA & FMA: Brotherhood goes, though. There's some nice talent in the newer version (Miki, for one)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Brotherhood is pretty good, some scenes I love are missing but for the most part it's great. You should be happy to how they handled the Greed and Father scene.

Most of the complaints are generall because they're comparing a finished series with a series that is 15 episodes long, or apparently think that comedy is the tool of the devil.[/b]
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I take it you're watching this on HULU and not on Funimation's website? Because Greed was taken out several episodes ago.

No I download it. Yeah I am up to 18 right now and Greed was taken out in 14. I don't consider that several just a few. Several would be 8 episodes or more back. I watch my episodes usually the day or two after they have aired. I download my episodes illegally but then again everything I have ever downloaded I buy the dvd's when they come out here. Illegal still, but they get my money in the end. Hate what happened to Ross but its getting very interesting. Laughing
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The Death Note ReLight is unnecessary. It doesn't add anything important to the show that we haven't already seen. That said, if they are going to remake, I would be down with that. spoiler[Make it a parallel universe type story where Light wins.] I would re-buy the whole series for that.

Light>Lelouch any day. Razz

Oh ya, and All Hail Brittannia!
All Hail Lord Kira!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
zatheus wrote:
don't consider that several just a few. Several would be 8 episodes or more back.

Merriam-Webster:
2 a: more than one <several> b: more than two but fewer than many <moved> c chiefly dialect : being a great many

3-4 is pretty much always what I mean by several.

Quote:
Hate what happened to Ross but its getting very interesting. Laughing

I see you haven't read the manga then...? Very Happy Or do you find that out in episode 18, I wonder...? I'm being a good little viewer and watching it stream. And if you really are downloading, please use IRC or some other form of direct downloads, and not torrents, otherwise you might very well be seeding to someone less scrupulous than you.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Avarice_WP wrote:

Oh ya, and All Hail Brittannia!
All Hail Lord Kira!

D: !!!

A world where Kira is the Briattannian Emperor. Holy apples on a grit stick dipped in poppy cock. That kind of society would suck!
zatheus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I see you haven't read the manga then...? Very Happy Or do you find that out in episode 18, I wonder...? I'm being a good little viewer and watching it stream. And if you really are downloading, please use IRC or some other form of direct downloads, and not torrents, otherwise you might very well be seeding to someone less scrupulous than you.

It happens in episode 17. Never could get into manga it just never worked for me. Anytime I can I get my stuff direct I do. I know what I do is frowned upon but at the same time I am one of those few that actually buy it when it comes out. But I will say this the main reason I don't stop is because there have be some series that still have not been released over here. Not talking about the ones a year ago that are on their way but the ones that are 4 years old and are not going to get over here at all.
Electrastar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
To each's own I guess...my biggest gripe with the new FMA anime is the animation, I personally think it's terrible...all the budget seems to have been used for the opening. The colors are faded and washed out, and the backgrounds are butt-ugly sometimes...it just pisses me off that they remade it in such poor quality. I used to hate the first FMA anime because it didn't respect the manga...now, I have a new found respect for it. It had better animation, better music, better character design and better voice acting...so much, that I can now forgive the differences in plot... I'm sticking to the FMA manga for a while, it's just better than the anime, period.
catanaition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
RE: Kannagi

I am really disappointed in this series because it wasn't at all what Bamboo or the OP made it out to be. It's just another moe harem show. I was hoping for the trials and tribulations of a goddess navigating Japan's idol industry. All she does is run around like a goal-less moron in the same small town the story starts in.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I find this new FMA worse than the last. The opening is melodramatic way worse than the original FMA anime. I thought they would rush the new FMA storyline to give us a decent ending unlike the other, but it seems like I was wrong, since they've been rushing the small details which made me like the first FMA just to show the new changes to the storyline compared to the first, such as the entire episode spent on that chinese like character which looked pretty much like a filler to me, but of course it wasn't intended that way.
Though I liked the way Greed died this time, but even so the way he died on the first FMA gave me a much more saddened feeling even when I didn't particularly like him.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
catanaition wrote:
RE: Kannagi

I am really disappointed in this series because it wasn't at all what Bamboo or the OP made it out to be. It's just another moe harem show. I was hoping for the trials and tribulations of a goddess navigating Japan's idol industry. All she does is run around like a goal-less moron in the same small town the story starts in.

Yeah, if you're not a fan of harem-esque shows, you might not see much difference. In that genre, I think it's an excellent show. It does move further away from the harem premise into deeper territory toward the end, in case you haven't seen the entire series. It doesn't stray entirely from its comedic premise, though it does become quite poignant while avoiding the usual melodrama. But the idol/admiration concept is only important in the religious context, and you're right, it isn't the primary (or most interesting) theme, as revealed in later episodes.

For certain, it isn't Skip Beat....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4