• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: President of NIS Sohei Niikawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Our Home's Fox Deity - Nice art, ass animation. Nice core idea and some nice episode plots (particularly regarding the Byakki), but lousy execution of comedy and humor in general. Maybe the biggest mixed bag as far as NIS releases go. (That I've seen, that is.)

I couldn't disagree more. I thought the comedy in OHFD was fantastic and had real heart. Humour is subjective, of course, but I encourage people to at least sample some of the show. It deserves more attention. I will admit that the first episode isn't the strongest, but it really picks up after that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Yeah, they are not in the boobs and senseless action crap Funimation is. I do not have anything against FUNi, but just because they dub almost everything it does not make them a better company automatically.
Is there another reason why they are the biggest anime distributor outside of Japan then? Wink

They never where until genon usa and adv films went under and scooped up all of their old titles making them huge while sentai had a chance to restructure it's self?? Also didn't funimaiton only have dragon ball z, one piece, shuffle and few other titles before the collapse of 08?

They had quite a lot of titles, several of them hugely successful like FMA. Quantity means nothing unless those shows sell well. Geneon is gone and ADV became Sentai because both companies tended to license shows without figuring out if they could pay back their money. Geneon licensed series because previous series lost money so they needed to make a profit on the new title. The result is that they overpaid for everything.

Look at how Del Rey and ADV entered the manga business, Del Rey carefully chose their titles that they knew were going to make a profit, while ADV manga just randomly licensed manga because they wanted to challenge Viz as the leader in manga right off the bat. ADV licensed a ton of manga from Mag Garden that were sequels to manga that had been left unlicensed. The result is that Del Rey manga launch was a huge success with Negima being a huge hit while ADV manga floundered because the successful manga like Azumanga Daioh couldnt cover all the flops because Viz can release a ton of manga because its owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan.

Yes i know that however adv did have excel saga, neon gensis evangelion, azumanga daioh, kannon, air, kurau phantom memory welcome to the nhk, blue seed as some high titles. Genon usa had higurashi "when they cry, familiar of zero, rozen maiden season one and two, fate/stay night, strawberry marshmallow, gad guard, last exile, chobits, flcl, ai yori aoshi, karin, lain and so on. All I'm saying is they both had great titles as listed then well we know what happened as you stated it. I just wanted to point out the quality titles they did have at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I remember when NISA licensed Natsume. I felt like someone had just surprised me with a lavish gift, or I had won the lottery.

I can't thank NISA enough for my #1 most hoped for license. So happy to have the set, I'm ordering another one today and sharing the love. Can't wait for your future Natsume sets! I will order two, thank you.

I love the premium editions. Most of these titles I really had no hope of ever owning, but thanks to you - LUCKY ME!!! Titles like Bunny Drop, and House of Five Leaves. NISA premium boxes are the treasures of my collection.

In addition to what I've mentioned above, I've bought both premium sets of Pandora Hearts, Our Home's Fox Diety, Persona Trinity Soul, Katanagatari, and Arakawa, all three premium boxes of Kimi ni Todoke, and your beautiful single premiums of Anohana and Zakuro.

I even built a special shelf to accommodate them (which now can only fit about 4 or 5 more sets).

Looking forward to building a new shelf in the future! Very Happy

I love having an option of nice packaging!! I have most of those mentioned above, and really like the larger artwork format. I'm a fan! Bunny Drop and House of Five Leaves really get attention from my friends. I gladly show them off! And they are putting out versions without the premium packaging which is a good thing. I just can't cross that Aniplex line though. I ordered the less expensive version of Garden of Sinners, but that's it. One of my favorites Fate/... is being held hostage in packaging I only wish I could afford. Aniplex is just going a bit too far on that price taggery for what you get.

"Special shelf" That's so funny because that's what I'm currently involved in. But I'll say for my get up,, on the top of my shelves sitting at an angle isn't a bad way. I'll have to hope for no earthquakes though. I like being able to see the covers. Reminds me of liking the covers on LP's. Nice big artwork you can see in detail and display. Now it's a digital download with maybe a jpg or png (front cover only) in low quality. Maybe I'm to old school, or in the boat of the "conform or be cast out" crowd.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. I thought the comedy in OHFD was fantastic and had real heart. Humour is subjective, of course, but I encourage people to at least sample some of the show. It deserves more attention. I will admit that the first episode isn't the strongest, but it really picks up after that.

I'm going to tentatively agree on it being worthy of more attention, since I thought it kind of flew over the radar of a whole lot of people, and for what it was worth, the day-to-day events of the cast in general was what made the show bearable -- or, as in the aforementioned Byakko episode series, even enjoyable.

But after a while I just got so tired of hearing the sounds of breaking plates and/or glass and Nobu fretting over his budget, or seeing Kou doing something crazy in an attempt to "blend in". (Which usually results in everyone staring at her.) That's not comedy with heart as far as I'm concerned. It's comedy that makes no sense.

And don't get me wrong; there certainly is worse comedy out there, like Love Hina's attempts at being funny; I would punt that shit into the stratosphere if I could. Compared to that, most of the jokes and gags in Our Home's Fox Deity merely made me roll my eyes or sigh in exhasperation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
@ Northlander - don't really know what to say, dude. I haven't seen a ton of people comment on OHFD here, but the ones I have tend to fall on my side of the line as opposed to yours. But no show ever garners 100% approval.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Well, we've both watched the shows and we've both expressed our opinions about it. I guess that's all anyone else can expect, really. Don't worry about it.

And honestly, if you liked the comedy, you should present a few points -- you know, embellish a little -- so people can read both our statements and then decide for themselves.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ tuxedocat - your post warmed the cockles of my stony, dark heart, fellow NISA-lover. I intend to own a Premium Edition copy of every title NISA puts out.

That would have to include Natsume's Book of Friends, bwahahaha! Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Well, we've both watched the shows and we've both expressed our opinions about it. I guess that's all anyone else can expect, really. Don't worry about it.

And honestly, if you liked the comedy, you should present a few points -- you know, embellish a little -- so people can read both our statements and then decide for themselves.

I often found the dialogue quite funny. I always enjoyed Shrine Girl's attitude: spoiler["I shall bring the laundry in, even if it costs me my life."] Or when asked if there is anything she didn't like to eat, spoiler["There is nothing I don't like, but centipedes are not my favourite."]

One of the things I thought the show was really good at was using various myths of Japanese folklore and making them into interesting characters and situations. The local land god spoiler[who runs the convenience store, etc.] I was particularly charmed by the arc with the spoiler[little white haired girl who imprinted on the younger brother.] I loved the episode where Kugen evokedspoiler[ the spirit of the boys mother] - that was beautifully handled.

I liked Kugen's character a lot and it was interesting the way spoiler[she flipped between female and male forms.]

But in the end it doesn't matter what you or I think; people need to check it out for themselves, which I highly recommend they do.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
But after a while I just got so tired of hearing the sounds of breaking plates and/or glass and Nobu fretting over his budget, ...

While I will readily admit that these two running "jokes" were no small frustration, there was little else about the series that I didn't love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4