• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garyu87

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Here's my review for the Anime.

At first half of episode 1 was a slow good intro. After that is the real thing where you see a Baron/masquerade mecha like.
I do like the protagonist's "It's a pinch" phrase. When the battle is gonna start the great Fabulous song kicks in, that's a real perfect jab.
I got a real Goose Bump when I heard the protagonist claims that he's the "GALACTIC PRETTY BOY" that's one hell if a Catch Phrase!

Well the first episode was AWESOME! The following episode until episode 5 didn't let me down and gave me a good follow ups on the anime and some unexpected funny scenes.

Consider It a fresh new anime story and mecha, but still I'm not quite fond of the mecha.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
egoist Star Driver has a specific, theatrical and filled with absurdity atmosphere. You should ask yourself whether you like this kind of atmosphere or whether you are able to at least put up with it to see if Yoji Enokido (the scriptwriter of Utena) treats us to serious mind screw with sinister twists.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying the series. I did realize absurdity would be this anime's forte since episode one, but it's just that they're ruining it with a lot of ordinary things.
My main beef with the series (perhaps too indirectly presented) is the south maiden, who is just generic and bland. It's like baking a delicious chocolate cake, and then dumping mint cream all over it (note that I really dislike that combination, thus....)

Even within Star Driver itself we already have many interesting characters, and Bones' previous works really excel with character development/originality. Except that in this case, our heroine doesn't just look like an ironing table, but also act like one.
At this point I can just hope she won't be like that for the whole series.

Overall the series still is pretty enjoyable. The potential isn't gone, but it just pales in comparison to their other series.
But yeah, the character design is excellent (reminds me of Code Geass), the protagonist is unique & likable (to me, anyway), and the antagonists don't seem as shallow as I first thought (although far from convincing).
I'd love more character development instead of a few random things (like the girl who loves pretty boys; yeah it was quite funny, but shallow fun is just... shallow).
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Anyone see JesuOtaku's review of the show thus far?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Anyone see JesuOtaku's review of the show thus far?

The short little video with the Utena comparisons? I did and it really cleared up what similarities between the two some people were talking about. Not really much to say on it though, it was short and made when there was only three episodes or so, I'd rather read reviews on a show that's at least half way through.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Episode 6...good lord! Between this and Panty and Stocking, it seems everyone's trying to shift gears this week.

So we've gotten some insight into Suigata, and why we've never seen him pilot a Cybody...and so as it turns out, apprivosing and using his first phase will put him into an eternal coma. Of course the writers couldn't resist that happening this episode. I'm really curious to see what happens next.

Hmm...it's also interesting that Takuto doesn't know what his first phase is. Something tells me it'll be a game changer later on.

Also thought it was a bit of an irony twist to have Takuto and Suigata have the same birthday.
swienke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow.... every episode has been very, very good, but this is the first one that I have absolutely no trouble calling truly great.

All of the episodes so far have had some rather melancholy aspects hidden amongst all the flash and dazzle, but this episode veered straight into tragic territory. The whole tone of the episode was more subdued to begin with, but the revelations about Sugata and spoiler[ his coma at the end ] could be the beginning of a radical departure from where we thought this series was going.

Sugata's not the only reason for this though: all of the character development this week seemed a little darker and more complicated than most of what we've seen so far. Wako's affection and desperate concern for Sugata carried the whole episode, and her anger at their fate was both stronger and more defeated than what we saw in episode 4. It also throws into light the conversation she and Sugata had at the beginning of episode 1: she may have accepted her own fate, however grudgingly, but she's not willing to let him suffer the same way. It also reinforces my belief that Wako deserves far more credit than most of the fans are giving her. She may not be the most outwardly colorful character, but she has far more depth and subtlety to her than at first glance (in other words, if I hear anyone else calling her "boring" after this episode, I'm going to gnash my teeth and rip out my hair in frustration).

The exposure of the depth of Wako and Sugata's relationship as well as Undine's comments about how spoiler[ Wako will lose her powers if she and Takuto get too close (by which she probably means sex, but you never really know for sure)] makes Takuto's situation suddenly more complicated as well: what seemed like an inevitable relationship with Wako for most of the episodes up until now is suddenly not only less likely, but fraught with both emotional and actual peril.

I also really like the way that the villain this episode was so well developed with so few lines of dialogue. All it took were a few snippets of conversation and scenes with her looking at different people to establish that she's a native islander who hates outsiders and possibly Wako (it might be love/hate though), but seems to be very conflicted about what to do with those feelings. Her first phase ability also perfectly illustrated the convoluted nature of her emotions, as well as being fairly bad-ass. Of course, this also brings me to the fact that we learned far more about the first phase abilities this episode, which I feel is going to get more and more important as time goes on.

On a slightly lighter note, one of the other things this episode did right? NINJA MAIDS!!!!!!!
Thomas de Modena

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Star Driver esp. 7 in up in e-sub now!
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NINJA MAIDS!!!!!!!

This anime offers a great variety of delightful surprises. First we have a pokemon hanging around everyone's neck, and now ninja-maids. Let's not forget the mermaid; the peons, the king, and what seems to be the robot queen; galactic pretty boy with a magical transformation scene within a super robot.
The story that girl's telling seems more interesting than the main story.

I couldn't care less about their friendship. What do they expect? "Hey, here's a trio, but now the trio will be separated... and you will care for them, oh yes you will." First I expect sufficient friendship development.
I don't know much about them, except that both are bound to the island. Now that I think about it, where exactly is their past?

Just to make it clear, I'm truly enjoying Star Driver... but it could be so much better.

Scientist girl still fascinates me. I'd love to marry her.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Episode 7. I'm glad the show is moving into main plot territory. It may seem a bit odd how their reffered to as a trio when they haven't been together very long, but for what we've seen so far, they've been hanging out together a lot, and since our protagonist is apparently(going by how he said he used to be a loner) a Stepforward Smiler, their friendship means a lot to him.

The ending leaves me a tad confused though. Is the change in Sugata's personality at the end of the episode due to Scarlet Kiss using her powers, or is it related to the King's Pillar?

Guess we'll find out next week! This just keeps getting better.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a leeeeetle bit bored of seeing Tauburn's transformation sequence now... It's still as aesthetically pleasing as it ever was but it's beginning to seem more like a way to burn through 30-40 seconds of animation; They could use the same clip every single episode and no-one would notice(Hell, maybe they do, I certainly would.. Why animate exactly the same thing 7-8 times when one clip fits all?).

That said, I do enjoy a good cockfight, especially when it concerns who gets to protect the princess. Proper male ego stuff, I bet the yaoi fangirls are made up with it all Wink
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
This has probably become my favorite anime of the Fall 2010 anime season.

Lots of great action, excellent plot twists, fun flamboyant antagonists, and a male lead that (for me) is refreshingly anti-emo.

I also have to say that, as formulaic as it is, the whole "Spend the first half of the episode doing school-related slice-of-life like stuff, spend the second half in massive mecha action!" routine is one that's really grown on me. The two halves really end up complimenting each other well, imo.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
excellent plot twists

I thought we only had one twist so far? Although in my view that single one was satisfactory enough as I was getting fed up with that shrine girl.

Quote:
and a male lead that (for me) is refreshingly anti-emo.

It's a pinch! I would love to show you the super barbie girl trailer based on star driver's op, but due to copyright infringements it was removed from your tube.

The problem is that they've been using more than half with the school stuff (well perhaps not since the plot twist). The fights, and that world itself, are pretty cool so I'd love to see them for longer; unfortunately, it's lasting for just a fraction of each episode.

Did the Japanese start caring about AMVs?
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
excellent plot twists

I thought we only had one twist so far? Although in my view that single one was satisfactory enough as I was getting fed up with that shrine girl.

Well, I considered both of these to be plot twists:

1. spoiler[All of the recent revelations pertaining to Sugata, particularly what his real personality is life and what unique standing he has.]

2. spoiler[Fish Girl being let go and choosing to leave the island - I honestly wasn't expecting this.]

Quote:

It's a pinch! I would love to show you the super barbie girl trailer based on star driver's op, but due to copyright infringements it was removed from your tube.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad YouTube took it down.

Quote:

The problem is that they've been using more than half with the school stuff (well perhaps not since the plot twist). The fights, and that world itself, are pretty cool so I'd love to see them for longer; unfortunately, it's lasting for just a fraction of each episode.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that in a couple of the episodes. I'd prefer a bit more fighting action and a bit less school life.

I'm basically pleased, though, with how this anime is balancing both without it seeming too silly (which, honestly, Code Geass wasn't able to do for me with its balance of school life with mecha warfare).

Quote:

Did the Japanese start caring about AMVs?

Yeah, they have, sadly. Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
excellent plot twists

Don't we need a plot first in order for it to start twisting? Mech fight of the week isn't really my idea of a plotline. A basic premise for sure, and not a bad one, but I'm still waiting for the meat of the story.
Darth Joker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:
excellent plot twists

Don't we need a plot first in order for it to start twisting? Mech fight of the week isn't really my idea of a plotline. A basic premise for sure, and not a bad one, but I'm still waiting for the meat of the story.

There is a plotline here.

The antagonists of this anime are trying to use the maidens in order to gain access to cybodies. We don't know the exact reason why, but it's not hard to come up with plausible reasons (heck, it might be for the simple goal of world domination - those cybodies would be nasty for any real world military to try to deal with).

The protagonists are trying to stop them.

The antagonists and protagonists go to the same school together, and the protagonists don't know the exact secret identities of the antagonists.

Since the first episode or so, the antagonists have made the defeat of "The Galactic Pretty Boy" a major goal in and of itself.

From there, a series of conflicts occurs, as different members of the antagonists' organization try to take out the Galactic Pretty Boy and his cybody.

The plot actually isn't terrible complex; it's just that there's stuff going on behind the scenes that we can only speculate at right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8