• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Anime Geek' Character to Appear on U.S. Network TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
lol. This would probably happen sooner or later. They have the right idea though. Depicting an overly obsessed anime geek as a confused psychopathic murderer who slaughters his parents (that reminds me of Itachi from Naruto). We get influenced pretty positively by the Japanese sometimes.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
I love all the overreactions sometimes.

You know, these shows have to make criminals out of someone, and chances are someone is going to be offended by whoever is the criminal in every episode. You have any idea how many crime dramas there are on TV and yet one shows an episode with an otaku or a videogamer and it's suddenly prejudice and wrong and some horrible mainstream media trend. Not to mention no one here has even seen the episode or knows how the character is portrayed. For all we know he's shown sympathetically and didn't do it and is the subject of prejudice in the context of the show due to his reserved nature.

The assumptions being made about the show and the episode and its contents are no better, or even worse, than what people are accusing them of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I lolol'd sooo hard at the reactions in this thread.

Watch out, guys. Next thing you know they'll try to ban Naruto! Just wait, this TV series I've never heard of will surely have enough leverage to convince Congress that annie-may is dangerous to our kids and it must be banned!

Really? Why is everyone so concerned? I can't wait to see this. I think it'll be funny.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't get why anyone here is excited about this. This just gets me angry.

All it's going to do is hurt anime by enforcing the ignorant ideas of people who already either don't like it or think that it's a bad influence.

Some overly involved Christian mom is going to be watching this show and they turn to her son and say "this is why I don't want you near those devil cartoons."

Yes, because all Christians are stupid Bible thumpers Rolling Eyes .

Yet another annoying, stupid, and elitist atheist.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Really? Why is everyone so concerned? I can't wait to see this. I think it'll be funny.

I bet it will be. These shows tend to be kind of hypocritical. There was a similar plot in a Belgian detective series. The detective is seen looking at a few pages of manga, noting it's "straf spul" (pretty hardcore stuff). The manga he is holding is Monster. Meta pot and kettle.

If only they'd base an episode on a suspect who is addicted to generic crime shows and gets his murder plots from his favourite series. That would be awesome.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, to people who were worried about how anime and its fans were going to be stereotyped, it looks like you have no need to worry.

Tonight's episode of "The Whole Truth" has been replaced with a 20/20 special "Miracle at the Mine" focusing on the Chilean workers being rescued.

NYMag is also predicting that ABC is preempting the series due to it under-performing for its timeslot.

Nuts, and I was hoping to watch the episode. It's currently not being hosted on ABC's website, but I'll check back later to see if that's changed. I'd like to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I got all ready to watch this and then ABC pre-empted it with a rushed together 1-hour special on the Chilean miners.

FFFFFFFFF-
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
So the backstory of the character, Anthony, is that he's pretty antisocial, has bad grades, and his parents were going to send him to boot camp.

Okay, I'm watching the episode now, but I'm not certain where they're getting the "anime geek" from. Yeah, he's a comic book fan, has pictures posted all around his room (of different comic book characters I believe), and he draws his own art which could have a bit of anime influence (it was only flashed in front of the screen for a few seconds). A prosecutor did refer to his room as the "Den of Carebears" I believe.

Oh, he just mentioned that he was in his room "watching toons, drawing pictures" before all of the events went on.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Okay, I'm watching the episode now, but I'm not certain where they're getting the "anime geek" from. Yeah, he's a comic book fan, has pictures posted all around his room (of different comic book characters I believe), and he draws his own art which could have a bit of anime influence (it was only flashed in front of the screen for a few seconds). A prosecutor did refer to his room as the "Den of Carebears" I believe.

Oh, he just mentioned that he was in his room "watching toons, drawing pictures" before all of the events went on.

I believe that was "den of the cave bear."

But yeah, I haven't seen any mention or glimpse of anime yet.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I believe that was "den of the cave bear."

But yeah, I haven't seen any mention or glimpse of anime yet.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I thought that didn't sound right.

Anyways, later on in the episode, his brother says, "I know he draws weird stuff and that he stays in his room too often."

Someone described to Anthony's friend to go on the stand by describing it as "The trial will be like the Trial of Justice and Everquest." LOL That guy kinda looked a stereotypical geek.

LOL, "drawing weird cartoons".
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, the jury found him guilty, and it looks like he was guilty.

So, what was that about in the end. Was he trying to set his father up?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, he was trying to set his father up. GRRRR!!!! This show was a perfect example of why I hate most American television. I can't believe I wasted my time watching it; they didn't even mention anime! They just said "weird cartoons"! Did anyone else realized how fast-paced this show was? Do they assume everyone has extreme ADD nowadays?

Moral of story: Lock up your anti-social, "weird cartoon watching" teens before they blow you away!
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Uh... there was no moral to the story. It's just a piece of entertainment. I think you're blowing things out of proportion.

I watched Criminal Minds before this episode, which was about a 13-year-old psychopath. Does this mean that every child who's abandoned by his mother will turn into a serial killer?

Besides, like you said, the episode never mentioned anything about anime. And all previews of the episode never mentioned anything about it at all. In fact, the only place that mentioned "anime geek" was here at ANN. For all we know, the "cartoons" he was watching wasn't even anime. No specifics were given.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Uh, willag, it was just a joke. I know there's no "moral". I've seen enough of these shows to know how predictable they can be.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
Oh, okay, good. It's just that you sounded angry from the start, and several replies from other people in this thread from earlier made me think that some people would overreact and take this seriously. So, I'm sorry for misinterpreting your words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4