• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 2000s Reloaded: Spectacular Spectacular

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
the average Warrior Priest could take on 10 soldiers while Scar could take on twenty

Which is complete bullshit against people with GUNS and (essentially) MAGIC.

Even in the FMA world it's a huge stretch.

Not really when you consider the fighting abilities of the people from Xing, and King Bradley, Scar is probably under them in fighting abilities. As for alchemy its a powerful weapon sure, but if an Ishvalan shoots Mustang in the head than no amount of flame alchemy is going to save him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
He could stand on a cliff and just obliterate the entire place with a few well-placed flame attacks. Never even have to go into town. Might take a little while, but he could do it with a little help of some of the other alchemists.

spoiler[Of course Father wouldn't have gotten as many dead people for his plan as he'd wanted. But I mean, I'm surprised the soldiers didn't question a little more.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
the average Warrior Priest could take on 10 soldiers while Scar could take on twenty

Which is complete bullshit against people with GUNS and (essentially) MAGIC.

Even in the FMA world it's a huge stretch.

Not really when you consider the fighting abilities of the people from Xing, and King Bradley, Scar is probably under them in fighting abilities. As for alchemy its a powerful weapon sure, but if an Ishvalan shoots Mustang in the head than no amount of flame alchemy is going to save him.

I always thought of it as more or guerilla thing. That, and it's been proven throughout history that regardless of technological and tactical advantages fighting an invasion of a country is not something that be easily done.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
He could stand on a cliff and just obliterate the entire place with a few well-placed flame attacks. Never even have to go into town.

It took a spoiler[Philosopher's stone to allow Kimblee to do that in the manga/Brotherhood] and alchemy is weaker in the first anime so theres no way that Mustang could unleash devastation on that scale.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
One, I imagine most of the reviewers are in their 20s or older, which would have put them in their teens when they saw FMA. So I guess it works if you consider anyone under 18 a "kid."

It's more of a case the way she went out of her way to make it a point on how it was 'her first' when she was 'a young teenager'. Maybe 15/16 in high school is not a total 'kid' but it's still young enough that a TV block like Adult Swim can leave an impression on you if it was, as she mentions, what opened someone's eyes up to anime beyond TV that wasn't horribly edited for the daytime. That just sends off a few flags to me when I hear people mention those qualities. Well, that and thinking it was for adults when it's a kids show, I guess. I think we all know those younger fans who insist DBZ/FMA/Naruto/OP are 'actually for adults in Japan' and such As for Zac, I wasn't really criticizing his assessment of the series.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Guerilla warfare only works when your enemy is concerned about harming innocent civillians. The Amestrian government was brutal and not shy about it, they were there to wipe everyone out, plain and simple. It should take three or four days tops with their equipment. Going inside the city was a complete waste of time. Completely ineffeciant. If they had all just surrounded the place and fired everything they had into it, eventually they'd have won.

Also, I could skip the four or five clip episodes in Gundam SEED Destiny (actually, I did), but it doesn't make those episodes any less egregious for existing. (Wish I had skipped the entire show.) Their very existence deducts points from the show.

Both Destiny and Wolf's Rain are horrible shows besides those episodes, but they certainly don't help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Flag, a top 10? Wow, I hated it. I don't think it does much with the first-person conceit (although it does use it as an excuse for constant expository dialogue) and wastes a lot of time on uninteresting military stuff ("resting is part of the mission, too"). That guy who's just a conduit of samurai cliches ("it's like the machine is part of his body!") is particularly bad. The secondary lead character (the dude with the big video camera who spends the series in that city) has a tendency to go off on awful pseudo-poetic tangents.

I was also a little troubled by the idealized portrayal of armed forces ignoring their superiors and deciding what to go shoot on their own. For a series that's apparently trying to be realistic (aside from the mecha and fictional country) showing totally unchecked military force as an unalloyed good seems naive at best. The same thing happens in Gasaraki (but even more so).

I appreciated that it was taking a chance on doing something unorthodox, but I don't think it turned out well at all.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Guerilla warfare only works when your enemy is concerned about harming innocent civillians. The Amestrian government was brutal and not shy about it, they were there to wipe everyone out, plain and simple. It should take three or four days tops with their equipment. Going inside the city was a complete waste of time. Completely ineffeciant. If they had all just surrounded the place and fired everything they had into it, eventually they'd have won.

This is starting to remind me of one of those "Why didn't they just take the eagles into Mordor?" kind of discussions.

The easy answer to this and the question you posited is that it wouldn't make good drama, that it doesn't have the same thematic impact. There's a point to showing this the way it is. Yeah they probably could have done this more efficiently, but it would have undermined the message.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Also, I could skip the four or five clip episodes in Gundam SEED Destiny (actually, I did), but it doesn't make those episodes any less egregious for existing. (Wish I had skipped the entire show.) Their very existence deducts points from the show.

"See this other terrible show had a clip episodes! That proves I'm right!"

I fail to see how this is relevant.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Really, you fail to see the relevance? I was pretty clear.

Skipping the episodes doesn't make them any less part of the show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The situations are pretty different, honestly.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Really, you fail to see the relevance? I was pretty clear.

And as I have explained before they aren't really part of the show. It's a minor annoyance and one that you seem dead set to hate the show for.

Also, bringing up a shitty show and then stating it used clip episodes isn't relevant. SEED Destiny was terrible asides from the clip episodes, as in, the clip episodes had little to do with actual content of the show being terrible.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
No, I dislike Wolf's Rain because it's a complete waste of its premise and its characters are dull. But the clip episodes subtract additional points because they're also a waste. Yes, you can skip them, but you shouldn't have to skip any episode.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
No, I dislike Wolf's Rain because it's a complete waste of its premise and its characters are dull. But the clip episodes subtract additional points because they're also a waste. Yes, you can skip them, but you shouldn't have to skip any episode.

You are definitely conflating two rather unrelated issues.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
I could've easily put Haruhi Suzumiya in my top 3, but I thought more people were going to include it in their top threes than actually did include it, and, also, I already had one Kyoto Animation show in my top 3 and it was K-On! (I wanted to be the guy who mentioned that, especially because of the anti-K-On! backlash people).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17