• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thoughts on nostalgic English dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I feel.....like I need to cleanse myself after saying this but...

I....kinda...thought the f-f-f-4kids dub script in Pokemon...was...

um....

kinda...well....

funny......sometimes.

*cringes*

D-don't hurt me! Anime hyper
PokeyugDB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I actually feel the 4Kids dub in general is better than TPCi's dub.

It's funny, because most people who normally despise 4Kids prefer their dub to the current one. Wink

Yet people will say I'm defending 4Kids, when I'm just sharing my opinion of the matter. Yet, I will get mercilessly bashed for giving 4Kids credit for what they DID do right. *sigh*
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
PokeyugDB wrote:
It's funny, because most people who normally despise 4Kids prefer their dub to the current one. Wink

I can safely say I have no nostalgic ties to the 4Kids dub, but I would say the 4Kids voices are probably better overall. Mainly because the current dub seems to try so hard to mimic those voices, and it's obvious to tell that they're not the same VAs yet they're trying to sound like them. That can be extremely jarring I imagine. Why settle for an imitation and not the original, after all? But that doesn't mean I liked the 4Kids' voices, especially later on when Satoshi started sounding like a squeaky girl where at least in the earlier episodes he sounded more like a boy.

TPCI is just lucky Isshu is an America-expy so there's been not as much Japanese stuff to tone down for Best Wishes. Next series though, which will take place in a France expy, who knows. They might think French culture and stuff is 'too foreign' and dumb it back down again like in Diamond and Pearl and Advanced Generation with Japanese culture. Still, it's sad to know the 2013 theme song will be replaced with a quick rap song or something. I dislike any dub that replaces the music.
pibburns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Eric J wrote:
Me, I finally got around to getting Discotek/Eastern Star's disks of the Galaxy Express 999 Movies, the first of which I assumed had to be the 1983 Roger Corman dub.

The Discotek release contains the good English dub from VIZ. It's a shame the same cast could not have been used to prepare an English dub of the television series.

The Corman dub, which I still have somewhere on a VHS tape but have not listened to in decades, is an entirely different kettle of fish. It was cut by about half an hour. The vocal performances are significantly inferior to the uncut VIZ release. The most amazingly weird performance is Captain Harlock, who sounds like John Wayne on a really bad day. Not for the faint of heart.

Meanwhile the French dub of the television series is OK, and remains available in a region 1 release (from Canadian distributor ImaVision -- French dub only) as well as from region 2 distributors in France.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
pibburns wrote:
The Discotek release contains the good English dub from VIZ. It's a shame the same cast could not have been used to prepare an English dub of the television series.

Figured that might be the case (I also dimly remember "Duke" Harlock, although I'm not sure nostalgically), but didn't know whether Viz would've let its property go.
As for why no series, that's also 90's Viz: If it didn't sell on VHS, don't blame the saturation or marketing, just blame the audience and pack the title off to Siberia. Rolling Eyes
PokeyugDB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately I do have nostalgic ties to the original 4Kids English dub, but at that time I couldn't find the subbed JPN eps anywhere. It's really the voice acting and the dub music/intros that make me dislike TPCi's dub as compared to the 4Kids dub. It's just beyond annoying to hear imitations of previous VAs that obviously don't sound alike, and yet they still keep trying to do so, to mixed results. Definitely: It's extremely jarring in that sense.

Last edited by PokeyugDB on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DomonX2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
@TitanXL

Not defending 4kids, but Rika Matsumoto said that English Satoshi(Veronica Taylor) sounded EXACTLY like her and that her friends were amazed she could speak English(referring to Taylor as Satoshi) that well. And it's true anyway. They sound EXACTLY the same, so why hate on a voice, which sounds exactly like Matsumoto's? That's the ONLY good voice in any Pokemon dub.

Proof they sound the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjphanrGEKQ

Last edited by DomonX2 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
PokeyugDB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Not defending 4kids, but Rika Matsumoto said that English Satoshi(Veronica Taylor) sounded EXACTLY like her and that her friends were amazed she could speak English that well. And it's true anyway. They sound EXACTLY the same, so why hate on a voice, which sounds exactly like Matsumoto's? That's the ONLY good voice in any Pokemon dub.

Proof they sound the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjphanrGEKQ

So what you're saying is, Veronica Taylor's Ash is only good because Rica Matsumoto said it was? Even more, that it's the only good voice in the entire dub? I don't understand your logic. A Japanese seiyu's word isn't the only component of who makes a good VA for a character. What makes a good VA is someone who actually matches the character they are playing, and knows how to act well and put emotion into their work.

My point is that both the 4Kids and PUSA/TPCi dubs have their respective strengths and weaknesses. In the end, it depends on what components of a dub matter to you in order to determine which one is better. In my case, it's the voice acting, and I prefer the 4Kids dub. In your case, it's the faithfulness of the adaptation, and it's TPCi's dub. It's that simple.

It's basically like your telling me the Odex Singapore YGO dub is better than the 4Kids YGO dub as well, only because it's more faithful to the JPN version, despite the Odex dubs' poor VA work.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm pretty nostalgic for dubs like Gundam SEED and Case Closed (BTW, I also watched anime through Canada's YTV). I can hardly watch any now that aren't of higher quality which tend to be movie length like Macross Plus or Ghost in the Shell. There's this amateurish sound that I hear in dubs today that I didn't back then. It's like I can tell from a mile away "Yeah, that's an anime dub alright..." Even dubs considered great like FMA I have a hard time not changing the language.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty nostalgic for dubs like Gundam SEED and Case Closed (BTW, I also watched anime through Canada's YTV). I can hardly watch any now that aren't of higher quality which tend to be movie length like Macross Plus or Ghost in the Shell. There's this amateurish sound that I hear in dubs today that I didn't back then. It's like I can tell from a mile away "Yeah, that's an anime dub alright..." Even dubs considered great like FMA I have a hard time not changing the language.

Gundam SEED isn't a "nostalgic dub" if you live in Canada. Hell, it's not nostalgic at all, since it was censored to hell and back in the USA(and BOMBED) and treated right in Canada(and succeeded). Also, your statement about dubs in general being amateurish compared to then is just wrong and nostalgia blinded. You proved my point exactly. The Macross Plus dub is horrid and hasn't aged well at all, so finding a modern dub which is better than it is not exactly "hard" you know. The only good GITS dubs are the Stand Alone Complex series and GITS 2.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Your thoughts on those specific dubs all come down to your opinion. You could argue Macross Plus has a bad translation or the voices are flat, but that doesn't change the fact that I like the dub and continue to enjoy it.

I never said dubs today are bad in comparison to things Gundam Seed or Macross Plus, I just can't find myself to like most dubs for some reason or another. I probably just got older, I wasn't trying to argue with any of the points you made.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
I grew up loving G-force and Robotech dub. I like the Streamline dub on Akira. I have nothing against new dub or a redub using a different cast. Beside G-force and Robotech, I've also watched the ADV uncut dub of Gatchaman and ADV uncut Macross dub and I had no problem with them. Although I wish ADV would've brought back most of the Robotech VAs to reprise their role for the redub. Would I've mind if Tony Oliver voiced Hikaru for the redub? sure. Would I have like Dan Woren to reprise his role as Roy Focker 20 years later? I'm sure Dan would've love to reprise his role if ADV offered him that role. I would've also loved Edie Mirman, and Iona Morris to reprise their role, it would've been nostalgic for Robotech fans to hear their old VAs reprising their role for the Macross redub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Weirdly, I only discovered the Streamline dub of Akira recently, by way of an old videotape that I bought at a book sale. Regardless, I actually really liked it, perhaps because it featured all of those Robotech favorites we've mentioned. I have a friend who has a DVD of the so-called Fox dub of My Neighbor Totoro, which if I'm not mistaken was actually a streamline dub. I know that we've already discussed the differences between that dub and the Miramax or Disney dub of the film, but I have to say that I liked Streamline's work there as well.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Although I wish ADV would've brought back most of the Robotech VAs to reprise their role for the redub. Would I've mind if Tony Oliver voiced Hikaru for the redub? sure. Would I have like Dan Woren to reprise his role as Roy Focker 20 years later? I'm sure Dan would've love to reprise his role if ADV offered him that role. I would've also loved Edie Mirman, and Iona Morris to reprise their role, it would've been nostalgic for Robotech fans to hear their old VAs reprising their role for the Macross redub.

Although there's a (franchise-establishing) joke at the beginning of the completely Harmony Gold-made "Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles" where one of the two pilots tries to annoy the other by humming BOTH English-dub Lynn Minmay hits.
That sort of summed it up right there. Wink
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I bought a few old Star Blazers comic books from an antique store, and believe it or not there were some ads inside for Robotech soundtrack CDs. The franchise joke from the Shadow Chronicles you brought up reminded me of the fact that they actually had a set that were just made up of Minmay songs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7