• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 9

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Reposting for the new page:

Dub:

Character A: Well, I think he was cute.
Character B: Oh, you were screaming the whole time. You didn't even see his face.
Character A: I saw his feet.

Hint 1: spoiler[They're talking about a man who, at the time of their conversation, died just the other night.]

Hint 2: spoiler[At the start of the series, Characters A and B are part of the protagonist's very small group of friends. Although, they usually did not seem to care about or like her very much.]
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Hint 3: spoiler[The anime that this quote comes from has a reputation for being weird, confusing, and heavily philosophical.]
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Hint 4: spoiler[To further elaborate on the context, the guy they are talking about rather dramatically took his life at a nightclub Characters A and B, the protagonist, and one other friend was at. The next day at school, they (minus the main character) recount the incident very casually and later realize it's strange that they can't take it seriously.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Based on Hint #4, this is obviously from spoiler[Serial Experiment Lain and referring to the Cyberia incident.] Pinning down the names wasn't easy, but I think spoiler[A is Julie and B is Reiko].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I figured it was from that show from the 3rd hint, but I hadn't seen enough of the show to know the scene.
ThisShadeOfCrimson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Although B's name is actually spoiler[Reika] to the best of my knowledge, all I was really looking for was A's name, the show, and the context. I'm accepting Key's answer.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Must have heard it wrong, then, because the names actually don't come up in the subtitles anywhere near that scene.

Anyway, I put up a hard one last time, so this one should be much easier. The sub and dub versions are nearly word-for-word the same here:

“According to information that I have acquired, it seems that one of the senior [spoiler] club members is a master of the illegal skill ‘faking attendance.’”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
oh, spoiler[Princess Gruier Serenity assuring Mariko that it's ok for her to be on the Bententmaru since one of the older yacht club girls can hack in to the attendance records. probably Lynn. Bodacious space pirates]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The context isn't quite right, but it's close enough. getchman is up.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
ok, this is from the dub

Character A: It seems I've found my way to death's door once again. It's no different than when I was human, except that this is exactly where I want to die. Character B, my dear comrade... thank you for renewing my existence with your contract and allowing me to fight with you.

Character B: My pleasure comrade. For six centuries I have rued the day our contract would end, Character A.

Character A: Well old friend, I'm afraid that time is upon us
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I just watched this:

Anime: spoiler[Shakugan no Shana]

Character A: spoiler[Samuel Demantius]

Character B: spoiler[Zirnitra]

Situation: spoiler[Samuel has stayed behind to draw the Basque Mal guys in, and now he has run out of juice and is surrounded by foes. He did what he set out to do, and now is about to die. It's a pretty nice scene, though sad.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
correct. he was pretty bad ass, and that scene drew some manly tears. I wish he had more screen time
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
From the dub:

Character A: Character B, if you think about it, other than this, what do we really value in life? God? Love? Don't make me laugh. When I was a brat, crawling around in that spoiler[shithole] city, it seemed God and Love were always sold out when I went looking. Before I knew better, I clung to God and prayed to Him every single night — yeah, I believed in God right up until that night the cops beat the hell out of me for no reason at all. All they saw when they looked at me was another little ghetto rat. With no power and no God, what's left for a poor little Chinese spoiler[bitch] to rely on? It's money, of course, and guns. spoiler[F*****] A. With these two things, the world's a great place.

Edit: Put spoiler tags on certain rough words.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
this would be spoiler[Revy (A) , lecturing Rock (B), I think in the sunken U-boat, from Black Lagoon. either way, he has pissed her off with his self righteous attitude]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Indeed he has, though Revy had gotten pretty nihillistic herself, and I think Rock's reaction made her uncomfortably aware of that.

Anyhow, your turn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 100