• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Japanese Government Establishes “Creative Industries Internationalization Committee” to Strength

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
In addition to this, I think AKB48 might have a more fair chance at faring well internationally if they toned down on the sexual theme on some of their PVs. [/url].

Conversely, the people who don't like it can either get over it or just not watch it if they're that afraid of the human body.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, I've watched some dance videos of the Korean music bands (SNSD Girls' Generation, 2NE1, etc.) and AKB48, and I must say...
I think the Korean music bands are pretty much having the upper hand when it comes visual appeal and dancing; if anything, it seems that AKB48's dancing choreography may be more left to be desired than some would think. Notice how off-timing some of the dancers were in some parts?
In addition to this, I think AKB48 might have a more fair chance at faring well internationally if they toned down on the sexual theme on some of their PVs. So far, much of the Korean PVs that I've seen have little to no hints of any sexuality displayed...like this one.

The dance I agreed, I mean SNSD's Gee is not enough, look at:

After School Flashback MV, and their dance practice video

Wonder Girls Be my baby MV

Rania Style MV and Just Go MV

Those dances completely blow AKB48 cute dance out of the water. AKB48 will have to start replicating these dance or outdo them. I don't think AKB48 will have to tone down their sex appeal (K-pop do have sex appeal too like Hyuna's Bubble pop or Rania Just Go for example), but they have to drop the schoolgirl look and look more mature in order to be taken more seriously to international audiences. Also because the music video in AKB48 tend to look bland and not a lot of visual appeal where K-pop win that one, Japan really need to make the music video more higher quality and more visually appealing like on the scale K-pop music video have.

EDIT: I did get chance to watch this music video from a J-pop group (well they're originally from Taiwan) called Weather Girls. Although they're from Taiwan and they're considered J-pop group (I wonder if they're considering going to Korea or USA to market themselves). I do find their dancing better then AKB48 but not close to K-pop dance standard, but this music video does have a lot of visual appeal like K-pop standard visual appeal. Maybe Weather Girls could break into the international market since most of the girls can dance really well and if they can take their dance up on K-pop standard. Maybe they could go beyond Japan.

Another J-pop music video I watch is from a J-pop boyband, Chō tokkyū (Super Express). Their dance are creative and on the same level as K-pop dance. So maybe there is J-pop group that can compete with K-pop group if Japan can export their J-pop outside of Asia. Again just like the J-pop video from Weather Girls, this J-pop MV does have some good visual appeal. I hope they could get some attention outside of Asia like most K-pop group are getting.

I now have watch this video from Momoiro Clover Z, and the music video in this one look ridiculous I mean dancing is not being active and just look silly. I can't take this J-pop girl group seriously in this music video, and the quality of music video looks cheap and too chessy. However, another music video from them does look serious and better then the last one I just watch. The music video in that one looks more visually appealing like on K-pop standard of visual appeal. I am impressed by their dancing, although not on K-pop standard, but it's an improvement.

darkchibi07 wrote:
This may seem to be a wild shot, but I wonder if Sentai's release of AKB0048 could act as a catalyst to get more peeps into AKB48. Man, I almost wish they were a guests for this year's Anime Expo than in 2010 to really capitalize on it.

No, you're limiting the audience to anime fans. If you want AKB48 to get more audiences outside of anime, they have to start looking more mature and dance on par as K-pop group so people outside of anime fandom take notice of AKB48. They have to do concerts not at a anime convention, they need to have a concert like BigBang, B2ST, or any K-pop group would do. Having a concert at anime con is not going to attract audience outside of anime fandom. That's how people become K-pop fans, it's the dance and the seriousness of K-pop group that appeal to people.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Those dances completely blow AKB48 cute dance out of the water. AKB48 will have to start replicating these dance or outdo them. I don't think AKB48 will have to tone down their sex appeal (K-pop do have sex appeal too like Hyuna's Bubble pop or Rania Just Go for example), but they have to drop the schoolgirl look and look more mature in order to be taken more seriously to international audiences. Also because the music video in AKB48 tend to look bland and not a lot of visual appeal where K-pop win that one, Japan really need to make the music video more higher quality and more visually appealing like on the scale K-pop music video have.

Alright, so it turns out that even with sex appeal mixed in, the Korean bands are exerting their international influence with little problem at all...
And yes, you're right in that AKB48 will eventually have do away with the school genre- after seeing it over and over on every PV, it can get quite boring to watch. Perhaps they ought to start watching a few of those Korean dance videos, borrow a few dance steps from them, and then find some way of mixing them up to create new dances of their own...

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
And yes, you're right in that AKB48 will eventually have do away with school genre- after seeing it over and over on every PV, it can get quite boring to watch..

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get away from doing what makes them big money in the Japanese market just as soon as anime companies stop making moe shows and focus on the Western market.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

In addition to this, I think AKB48 might have a more fair chance at faring well internationally if they toned down on the sexual theme on some of their PVs.

International audience can handle reasonable sexuality just fine (save for those conservative countries, but even then, fans get around it). Consider how far Western laissez faire acts have pervaded. It's just that J-pop portray themselves so young while doing it, and that doesn't travel. Portray themselves of age, and it won't be a problem.

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Alright, so it turns out that even with sex appeal mixed in, the Korean bands are exerting their international influence with little problem at all...
And yes, you're right in that AKB48 will eventually have do away with school genre- after seeing it over and over on every PV, it can get quite boring to watch. Perhaps they ought to start watching a few of those Korean dance videos, borrow a few dance steps from them, and then find some way of mixing them up to create new dances of their own...

I edited my last post with my opinion on some J-pop music video I just got chance to watch on Youtube, it looks like Japan has allowed I don't know how many J-pop music video on Youtube, but they're going on the right direction. But they have to do more. But I did get chance to watch some J-pop music video.

I wrote:
EDIT: I did get chance to watch this music video from a J-pop group (well they're originally from Taiwan) called Weather Girls. Although they're from Taiwan and they're considered J-pop group (I wonder if they're considering going to Korea or USA to market themselves). I do find their dancing better then AKB48 but not close to K-pop dance standard, but this music video does have a lot of visual appeal like K-pop standard visual appeal. Maybe Weather Girls could break into the international market since most of the girls can dance really well and if they can take their dance up on K-pop standard. Maybe they could go beyond Japan.

Another J-pop music video I watch is from a J-pop boyband, Chō tokkyū (Super Express). Their dance are creative and on the same level as K-pop dance. So maybe there is J-pop group that can compete with K-pop group if Japan can export their J-pop outside of Asia. Again just like the J-pop video from Weather Girls, this J-pop MV does have some good visual appeal. I hope they could get some attention outside of Asia like most K-pop group are getting.

I now have watch this video from Momoiro Clover Z, and the music video in this one look ridiculous I mean dancing is not being active and just look silly. I can't take this J-pop girl group seriously in this music video, and the quality of music video looks cheap and too chessy. However, another music video from them does look serious and better then the last one I just watch. The music video in that one looks more visually appealing like on K-pop standard of visual appeal. I am impressed by their dancing, although not on K-pop standard, but it's an improvement.

it looks like some J-pop group do have dance that is almost or completely on par as K-pop group. So maybe J-pop do have chance to break it outside of Asia if promoted correctly.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
And yes, you're right in that AKB48 will eventually have do away with school genre- after seeing it over and over on every PV, it can get quite boring to watch..

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get away from doing what makes them big money in the Japanese market just as soon as anime companies stop making moe shows and focus on the Western market.

Well the schoolgirl looks is not going to appeal anyone outside of otaku and anime nerds. If they lose their otaku/anime nerd audience because they drop the schoolgirl look and take on a mature look they'll get more fans that are not otaku but general audience, who knows maybe they'll get more overseas fan like I mention the K-pop band, U-KISS having more fans outside of Korea then in Korea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I could care less whether K-Pop or J-Pop conquers the world. That said though, J-Pop should be J-Pop. It shouldn't cater to the outside world.

I watch anime because it is Japanese anime. It shows things that can't be seen in the U.S. The last thing I want is the Japanese changing to supposedly American mores and toning their content down for western consumption.

If I want Japanese anime to be Japanese anime (the good, the bad, and the ugly), then I want the same thing for the western fans of of J-Pop and J-Dramas.

That is not to say that the Japanese shouldn't make a better effort to understand the global market and distribution; and to improve the marketing of their cultural and entertainment goods.

Also, I have no problem with the Japanese making movies and music for the global market, but not via the means of the entire industry changing to make it happen.

I like Japanese anime the way it is, so I support my music and TV brethren.

So let, AKB48 be AKB48. We don't watch anime because of rankings, but because we like Japanese anime. Same goes for the music.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I could care less whether K-Pop or J-Pop conquers the world. That said though, J-Pop should be J-Pop. It shouldn't cater to the outside world.

I watch anime because it is Japanese anime. It shows things that can't be seen in the U.S. The last thing I want is the Japanese changing to supposedly American mores and toning their content down for western consumption.

If I want Japanese anime to be Japanese anime (the good, the bad, and the ugly), then I want the same thing for the western fans of of J-Pop and J-Dramas.

That is not to say that the Japanese shouldn't make a better effort to understand the global market and distribution; and to improve the marketing of their cultural and entertainment goods.

Also, I have no problem with the Japanese making movies and music for the global market, but not via the means of the entire industry changing to make it happen.

I like Japanese anime the way it is, so I support my music and TV brethren.

So let, AKB48 be AKB48. We don't watch anime because of rankings, but because we like Japanese anime. Same goes for the music.

Well K-pop was originally made for the Korean audience but now it ended up appealing to worldwide audience so they don't need to change it a lot since it does look similar to western pop but with a edgier and challenging dances. I can say the same for K-drama, that was made for Korean audiences but now it's proven to be popular outside of Korea. The only thing I want tweak a bit for J-pop is to make their music video better and more visually appealing like on the same level as K-pop (after watching some of AKB48 MVs where some of the music video do look bland and not a lot of visual appeal), I've seen other J-pop music video looking better then AKB48. I want the dancing in J-pop to be on par with K-pop standard or can outdo K-pop dances. Something that AKB48 really need to improve on. Maybe Japan should get some of the dance choreographers who did K-pop to help them with J-pop dancing choreography like maybe AKB48 and other J-pop should hire Rino Nakasone who done a lot of dancing choreography for K-pop group to help J-pop dances. I know you want AKB48 to be just themselves, but I'm sorry if they want to appeal to a bigger and more international audiences outside of anime/otaku fans, they'll have to drop the schoolgirl look. The schoolgirl look is not going to attract anyone outside of anime audiences. I know they'll lose their core fans, but they can make it up by attracting non-anime/otaku fans like for example, the K-pop band U-KISS don't have a lot of fans and are under appreciated in South Korea, but they have more fanbases and are well-loved outside of Korea. So that's one example. I believe AKB48 can get more fans outside of the anime fans and will attract a lot of fans outside of Japan and outside of Asia if they went from schoolgirl look to a more mature look.

But the reason why I show concern for Japan is because they are losing to South Korea in term of drama and music. K-pop is already popular around the world and K-pop artists are getting a lot of attention from the west and can show that Asian pop genre can break the language barrier, yet J-pop is not getting the same level of attention or western media attention like K-pop is getting (well then again, Taiwanese Pop is not getting the same but that's different because Taiwan's music is in a state of array and I haven't heard any Taiwanese govt plan to give their pop music the same method of distributing around the world like K-pop). I mean Super Junior is more famous then EXILE around the world, and Girls Generation is more famous around the world then AKB48. Japan is not putting any real effort to promote J-pop outside and beyond Asia while Korea is heavily promoting K-pop outside of Korea. Also Japan is not exporting J-drama, I can find few J-dramas on CR when Korea export of K-drama (and I can find 100 of them on Dramafever and Crunchyroll), and I could find more Chinese-language drama from Taiwan and Singapore and Hong Kong on CR and Dramafever then J-drama. So that's not good and having J-drama would really help Japan a lot in term of attracting people to go to Japan (Anime and manga helps, but having J-drama really help a lot also). That's why Korea has a lot of tourism season for the last few years, K-drama plays a role (along with K-pop). If Japan export more J-drama and J-pop, then Japan would have higher numbers of tourism. The sad fact is that Japan is losing to South Korea because of drama and pop music while Japan only has anime/manga, while they're not promoting J-pop overseas and not exporting J-drama (Tokusatsu like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai would also be a nice plus for fans of JPN pop culture if they can be exported and streamed on Dramafever and Crunchyroll) to western audiences. I mean I'm hearing Japanese language classes sponsored by the Japanese govt are closing down/cancelled in part of the world due to lack of govt support, while South Korea is opening up Korean Cultural Center in other part of the world and offering Korean language classes with government support. Doesn't that concern you, TarsTarka? Japan is losing to South Korea and Japan I don't know if they'll be relevent, because of the Korean Wave/Hallyu, when can Japan have it's own "hallyu"/Japanese Wave. I don't want Japan to be completely behind their South Korean counterpart.

I'm hoping this Japanese govt committee is taking this seriously, because they know they're losing to South Korea. I hope the JPN Govt are going to use their soft power to break down and cure their Galapagos syndrome and maybe give J-pop artists their chance to shine outside of Asia on the same level as K-pop artists. I've been watching some J-pop music video on Youtube and I do see some J-pop artists that have potential to compete with K-pop artists on a international level. Also because people can watch K-dramas and that led to other Asian dramas from Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan to be subtitled, exported, and streamed on Dramafever and Crunchyroll. I don't see how J-drama be any different, and I don't see what stopping Japan from exporting J-drama, if they export J-drama then more people would go to Japan on the same level as people go to South Korea because of K-drama. Also a lot of Tokusatsu fans like people who love Super Sentai and Kamen Rider have said: If people can watch K-drama, then what makes Tokusatsu shows any different??

What I'm trying to say is that Japan is losing it's "cool status" to South Korea. The title of "pop cultural superpower" is no longer Japan, South Korea has that title currently because of K-pop and K-drama. Japan will be able to earn that title again if J-pop and J-drama could be exported the same way like Korea did. Exporting Anime/manga and video game from Japan is not enough to save Japan.

I know I'm repeating this many time, but I want you to understand why many anime fans that include me are concern for Japan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
not exporting J-drama (Tokusatsu like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai would also be a nice plus for fans of JPN pop culture if they can be exported and streamed on Dramafever and Crunchyroll) to western audiences.

Blame Saban.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch anime because it is cool or it ranks high. Do fans of Japanese music and TV dramas do?

I watch it because it is different and the different themes appeal to me.

I started watching anime a lot because of Project AKO and other 80's anime. In your new world order, such shows wouldn't be made.

The school girl thing is what the Japanese are known for. It is their thing. When they get tired of it, then they will stop it.

I think people will agree with you, on the Japanese marketing their cultural and entertainment better to the international audience.

But when you insist that the Japanese have to change, you are going to get a lot of disagreement. We want Japanese products, not watered down western dribble with Japanese actors and musicians.

For those that understand the reference, I don't what a 'Taco Bell' world.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
not exporting J-drama (Tokusatsu like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai would also be a nice plus for fans of JPN pop culture if they can be exported and streamed on Dramafever and Crunchyroll) to western audiences.

Blame Saban.

I blame Toei too, they probably know that tokusatsu are no different from K-drama. But I'll wait for the day Saban and Toei announce that Super Sentai and Kamen Rider will be stream uncut and subtitle on Crunchyroll and Dramafever and it would be kinda ironic the reason for streaming subtitled and uncut Toku shows is "The K-drama popularity proves that people can watch foreign entertainment including from Asia and not be turned off by it, and we saw how the K-drama popularity has allowed other shows from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore to be streamed and subtitled. So we don't see why streaming tokusatsu in subtitles be any different. Also the fans are correct: How is tokusatsu any different from Asian drama like K-drama??"

TarsTarkas wrote:
The school girl thing is what the Japanese are known for. It is their thing. When they get tired of it, then they will stop it.

Yeah well schoolgirl is not going to attract a lot of audiences beyond anime/otaku fans. So as I said, if they want to go international and to a wider audiences, drop the schoolgirl look. They can still look great without the schoolgirl look.

Quote:
But when you insist that the Japanese have to change, you are going to get a lot of disagreement. We want Japanese products, not watered down western dribble with Japanese actors and musicians.

So according to your logic, does this mean when K-pop group goes to Japan and their song gets translated into Japanese, does that mean their Korean song in Japanese don't sound as good as their Korean version and sound "watered down". I mean compare Girls Generation song Gee:

SNSD Gee Korean version

SNSD Gee Japanese version

I listen to both of them and both sound good, the Japanese version of Gee has nothing lost from the Korean version.

Same thing for their other song, Oh!

SNSD Oh! Korean version

SNSD Oh! Japanese version

Again, I listen to both of their version of Oh! and they both sound great. I didn't see anything watered down for the Japanese version.

Same for Run Devil Run:

SNSD Run Devil Run Korean version

SNSD Run Devil Run Japanese version

Again, I watch both and the Japanese version sound as good as the Korean version.

Did 2NE1 song Fire sound worse in the Japanese version:

2NE1 Fire Korean version

2NE1 Fire Japanese version

I listen to both of them and the Japanese sound just as good as the Korean version. Nothing was lost or watered down in the Japanese version.

If you're worried that Japanese songs will be watered down for the English song, then why did K-pop songs get translated into Japanese but yet it still sound good in Japanese like it's Korean counterpart. SNSD and 2NE1 Japanese album sold well in Japan, so I don't see problem with Japanese songs getting translating into English. But AKB48 and other J-pop band can still sing in Japanese, I have no intention for them to dumbing them down for other market. They just need to drop the schoolgirl look if they want to get a wider audience, and they can revamp the dance to match K-pop dances. I mean I've seen other J-pop group that can dance better then AKB48 like E-Girls can dance on the same level as K-pop group.

I've also watch other K-pop songs being translated into Japanese and they sound just as good as they were in Korean. As a matter a lot of song do get covered in other languages too. Yes even English songs do get Japanese translation cover, I mean I don't see any problem with AKB48 wanting to do a English-language songs if they want to break into the US market in the future.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
People that like K-Pop will like K-Pop. People that like J-Pop will like J-Pop. K-Pop is K-Pop and J-Pop is J-Pop. Nobody that I know said K-Pop changed. K-Pop is what it is, and it has its fans, just like J-Pop.

Your insistence the J-Pop has to change in order to be relevant to the western world, is mistaken.

I don't want Hollywood to change how they make movies to be relevant to China. So I certainly don't want Japan to change to be relevant to western mores.

If the west can't handle Japanese culture and themes, then those people shouldn't be watching Japanese cultural and entertainment media.

You seem to think that the Japanese should model themselves to western morality in order to achieve acceptance. While I think that the Japanese are fine the way they are. The Japanese citizens get what they want, and, more importantly (to me), I get what I want from them.

Telling anyone that they have to change, in order to be accepted, is never going to go over very well. If K-Pop is doing great more power to the Koreans, but that doesn't mean the Japanese have to change. I certainly don't want anime or J-Pop to change either.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
People that like K-Pop will like K-Pop. People that like J-Pop will like J-Pop. K-Pop is K-Pop and J-Pop is J-Pop. Nobody that I know said K-Pop changed. K-Pop is what it is, and it has its fans, just like J-Pop.

Your insistence the J-Pop has to change in order to be relevant to the western world, is mistaken.

I don't want Hollywood to change how they make movies to be relevant to China. So I certainly don't want Japan to change to be relevant to western mores.

If the west can't handle Japanese culture and themes, then those people shouldn't be watching Japanese cultural and entertainment media.

This will be my last post on the subject, because you seem to think that the Japanese should model themselves to western morality in order to achieve acceptance. While I think that the Japanese are fine the way they are. The Japanese citizens get what they want, and I get what I want from them.

Telling anyone that they have to change, in order to be accepted, is never going to go over very well. If K-Pop is doing great more power to the Koreans, but that doesn't mean the Japanese have to change. I certainly don't want anime or J-Pop to change either.

I'm not saying that, if Korean songs can be translated into Japanese then I don't see any differences when Japanese songs get translated into English or Korean. Some of After School's songs were covered of Morning Musume that went from Japanese into Korean. Also Japan, Korea, and other Asian countries have been remaking American films to cater for their local audiences. I'm not saying Japan should dumb down J-pop to accommodate it to western audiences, Korea didn't dumb down their K-pop song when they put it on Youtube or translate it into Japanese or other languages. I don't mind AKB48 covering some of their songs from Japanese to English to help attract a wider audience just like how Girls Generation songs get translated into Japanese to attract more Japanese audiences to become fans.

TarsTarkas, you just ignored my example of Girls Generation songs being translated from Korean into Japanese (did you even watch any of them to make comparison?). If you say that J-Pop has to change in order to be relevant to the western world is bad, then according to your logic, changing Korean songs into Japanese language is just the same as what you said, yet the songs from SNSD in their Japanese language just sound as good as their Korean counterpart. What if AKB48 and other J-pop want to break into the west and they want to do a English-language album, wouldn't you support them by buying their English-language album, because I would.

I mean people who listen to Shakira's English songs could end up listening to Shakira's non-English songs. Who knows, people who never listen to J-pop and ended up listening to AKB48's English language songs could end up listening to their Japanese songs. I have no intention of dumbing down J-pop, I didn't see K-pop group dumbing themselves down when they went to Japan.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7

I think TarsTarkas [and RyanSaotome] have a valid point here; in fact, after understanding that "Western" doesn't necessarily equal "more modern," I now take back what I said about AKB48 doing away with their schoolgirl theme. If AKB48 and other Japanese music bands were to change their themes just for the sake of appealing to Western people that might not care for their music from the start, they're going to end up losing their fanbase, both at home and beyond. However, I still agree that their dancing choreography could use some improvement and that they need more advertising from the music companies to get make their names more widespread.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
@mdo7

I think TarsTarkas [and RyanSaotome] have a valid point here; in fact, after understanding that "Western" doesn't necessarily equal "more modern," I now take back what I said about AKB48 doing away with their schoolgirl theme. If AKB48 and other Japanese music bands were to change their themes just for the sake of appealing to Western people that might not care for their music from the start, they're going to end up losing their fanbase, both at home and beyond. However, I still agree that their dancing choreography could use some improvement and that they need more advertising from the music companies to get make their names more widespread.

I don't know if the schoolgirl look will attract anyone outside beyond anime fandom even on a international scale. If they keep the schoolgirl look and they don't attract a massive audiences beyond anime and otaku, then AKB48 won't have a future on an international scale and I'm going to blame this on RyanSaotome and TarsTarska for not knowing a thing or 2 about marketing overseas. That's why I wanted them to drop their schoolgirl look and take on a mature but still sexy look. But the dance as we both agreed have to be revamped. I've been watching E-Girls music video, and they dance a lot better then AKB48 and they dance on par with K-pop group, so E-Girls can compete with K-pop on a international scale if Avex can promote them overseas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7